Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM

36 posts, read 79,445 times

Advertisements

We shouldent have to communicate with our mate and let them know how to treat a lady. They should just know. I know we dont come with a manual but come on guys!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 03:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
Hmmm .... now I'm thinking ..... What if a woman opens the door for another woman. Is one of the women better than the other? How can there possibly be equality in this situation? Aye yay yay - such a conundrum!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hmmm .... now I'm thinking ..... What if a woman opens the door for another woman. Is one of the women better than the other? How can there possibly be equality in this situation? Aye yay yay - such a conundrum!
I wonder if there's also "a competition" on how good their toes look while doing so?

Old 07-08-2009, 07:05 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,295,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
Pull out a chair for a lady, hold the door for a woman, place the hand on the small of the woman's back as they walk along,open car doors for a lady? Or do some think this belongs in another era back when men rode horses and ladies wore petticoats. I have found that a lot of younger men while out with a lady where I live no longer do these things, its not behaviour that seems to have been passed down to them. What about the older generation of men do they still feel a need to do this kind of stuff? Do women still appreciate having them done?

It makes me feel very very special when my boyfriend holds a door for me whether it be a car door etc.He also pulls out a chair for me when we're dining in a diner.

When I've been out by myself shopping I've had mainly older men hold a door open for me and sometimes one will help me load my packages in my car.I look back at them with a big grin and thank them and make the comment that there gentlemen after all.
I always hold the door open for a woman (or anyone), but these days, what irks me is when people just breeze through without so much as a "thank you", as if I'm their personal door opening guy, or something.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, such chivalry is often frowned upon and many women are too suspicious of a genuinely "nice guy" offering to help them in this way.

Chivalry is dying a death and I can't help but feel that both genders are the cause of its demise.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I'm all about politeness, tact, and manners. Guys who do the old school chivalry thing are cool (as long as it's real, not contrived), but there are many other ways to show politness, tact, and manners, as well.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Terrible rule of thumb. Little to no correlation.
Her rule of thumb is right on! Frankly, I'm not used to having the car door opened for me. How can I be?! I get in and out of the darn car numerous times every day on my own. However, I still appreciate good manners. I almost couldn't believe a guy who even handed me the seatbelt!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Her rule of thumb is right on! Frankly, I'm not used to having the car door opened for me. How can I be?! I get in and out of the darn car numerous times every day on my own. However, I still appreciate good manners. I almost couldn't believe a guy who even handed me the seatbelt!
It's crazy my friend as one woman may love the assistance while the other may hate it or take it as a sign of weakness and resent him/her for it.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
It's a dog eat dog world out there!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
It's crazy my friend as one woman may love the assistance while the other may hate it or take it as a sign of weakness and resent him/her for it.
I for one don't think the latter is worth your time.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I for one don't think the latter is worth your time.
And yours too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships