Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:30 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,112 times

Advertisements

Recently I have acted as a mentor to some people I have met in the various classes I teach. I tell them I work as a HR Manager and Recruiter for a large company in the Washington DC area. (I teach classes in the evening). Many people attempt to be friend me and want all kind of help and advice. I use to feel like I did a good job at screening out people who acted all friendly and nice because they felt they could use you vs people that were just nice people who maybe could be possible friends.

Recently though I have been burned by people who I have referred for employment and helped with their resumes. Once I served my purpose they dumped me and would not return my emails or phone calls. I had thought we were possible friends. Guess not.

Have you experienced people who used you or acted nice during a time you had some power or influence and got dumped once you served your purpose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
You should know going into this sort of thing that these people are not necessarily "friends"

Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
People do that all the time. I've just come to accept it as human nature. If the person shows a lot of potential to contribute something positive to my field, then I help out. I neither expect nor want friendship out of it.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:41 AM

943 posts, read 3,161,112 times
Default Maybe friends is not a good work, but stay friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
People do that all the time. I've just come to accept it as human nature. If the person shows a lot of potential to contribute something positive to my field, then I help out. I neither expect nor want friendship out of it.
I agree that maybe I could not expect the people to be my friends after class or mentoring sessions to help with their resume and job search, but you would think that they could stay friendly after the task was done.

Most of the people who have worked for me (I am a manager) stay friendly after we stop working together but I can think of a few that I thought had a nice relationship with at work who turned sour after they left the company. (I guess they did not want a professional reference) When we worked together we spent a lot of time talking and enjoying each others company, but once they left they were cold and aloof when we ran into each other.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Nah, you have to have power and influence for that to happen I guess that's one of the benefits of not being important.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times
Yes, I have. When I was a journalist, I'd get invited to all sorts of cool parties given by the movers and shakers. After I left the biz, the invitations ceased. Oh, well!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Quite often, once I progressed in my career I started getting invited to social functions I had not been privy to in the past. Its surprising how people treat you if they think you have money or can help them professionally...or personally for that matter.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
No. I wear a visble scowl at all times for the world to see. That way, nobody wants to befriend me. They're all afraid I'll bust a cap in their asses!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:23 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No. I wear a visble scowl at all times for the world to see. That way, nobody wants to befriend me. They're all afraid I'll bust a cap in their asses!
I get the impression that if I ever get a divorce, I'd want you to represent me.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:06 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,653,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Have you experienced people who used you or acted nice during a time you had some power or influence and got dumped once you served your purpose?

Surely so! Power, influence - it's called BOOBS.

Nuff' said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships