Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

Whenever I hear people claim that the institution of marriage is flawed and ultimately doomed to failure, my eyes roll. I've never bought into this idea. For all the talk about how 50% of marriages end in divorce, how much "work" it takes to maintain one, and how "unnatural" monogamy is, I've always felt that a marriage is as only as good as the people in it. Some people just aren't cut out for marriage, some people get married for all the wrong reasons, and some people just end up marrying the right person. But instead of taking responsibility, a lot of people are quick to blame the institution of marriage itself. That seems to be a recurring theme in America. Find someone or something else to blame. In this case, it's easier to say marriage is a flawed institution than to actually look inward. I know a lot of divorced people who are quick to say they did everything right and weren't at fault for the end of their marriage. I've never been married, but with all my failed relationships, I've always taken responsibility. Even in those relationships where I felt I did everything right, I took some of the blame for it ending. Why is it so hard for people to do this these days and so easy to just badmouth marriage instead? What I really can't stand is people who are now divorced that act like being divorced makes them experts on marriage, telling the rest of us who've never been married what it's really like. Being divorced may give you better insight into married life, but it hardly qualifies you as an expert or endows you with any special powers to predict how someone else's marriage will turn out.

Sorry for the rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
I enjoy regular sex, always have. So Marriage not really an option for me.....

Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Pretty much true. I've found that the people who kvetch about marriage or their multiple exes are people who are not equipped to have a mature, lasting relationship with anyone.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Some people just aren't cut out for marriage
I guess that would be me.

Quote:
I know a lot of divorced people who are quick to say they did everything right and weren't at fault for the end of their marriage.
Yep. That would be me too.

Quote:
Why is it so hard for people to do this these days and so easy to just badmouth marriage instead?
I dont badmouth marriage, just the ex's.

I know a lot of happily married people. I think marriage is great, but It just hasnt been great for me.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Whenever I hear people claim that the institution of marriage is flawed and ultimately doomed to failure, my eyes roll. I've never bought into this idea. For all the talk about how 50% of marriages end in divorce, how much "work" it takes to maintain one, and how "unnatural" monogamy is, I've always felt that a marriage is as only as good as the people in it. Some people just aren't cut out for marriage, some people get married for all the wrong reasons, and some people just end up marrying the right person. But instead of taking responsibility, a lot of people are quick to blame the institution of marriage itself. That seems to be a recurring theme in America. Find someone or something else to blame. In this case, it's easier to say marriage is a flawed institution than to actually look inward. I know a lot of divorced people who are quick to say they did everything right and weren't at fault for the end of their marriage. I've never been married, but with all my failed relationships, I've always taken responsibility. Even in those relationships where I felt I did everything right, I took some of the blame for it ending. Why is it so hard for people to do this these days and so easy to just badmouth marriage instead? What I really can't stand is people who are now divorced that act like being divorced makes them experts on marriage, telling the rest of us who've never been married what it's really like. Being divorced may give you better insight into married life, but it hardly qualifies you as an expert or endows you with any special powers to predict how someone else's marriage will turn out.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for the post, I was going to write a positive marriage thread last night, but then I thought, better not, this is the place for misery only. Positive threads about relationships usually get shot down.

Keep it up

Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Yes keep it up....

Old 07-15-2009, 11:26 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Society (through our addiction to TV) holds up the ideal marriage as being "blond, busty, bimbette trades her assets to hot guy with a fat wallet for a contractual arrangement of support. This leads to eternal happiness and lots of sex - the only type approved by the fundamentalist religious types."

This has led to a positive development. 1/3 of people now say "That's not an institution for me".

Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Society (through our addiction to TV) holds up the ideal marriage as being "blond, busty, bimbette trades her assets to hot guy with a fat wallet for a contractual arrangement of support. This leads to eternal happiness and lots of sex - the only type approved by the fundamentalist religious types."

This has led to a positive development. 1/3 of people now say "That's not an institution for me".
That's the strangest post I've ever read.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:45 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Happily married. No complaints here.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:10 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,551 times
Marriage is hard work sometimes, it's easier to be single. I can make a great case that married folks got it all wrong. I did not have the sense to stay single, and every time I change the locks on the doors the wife and kids get back in somehow.

As a not quite 40 succesful and reasonably comely man I'd have tons of disposable income if I were single. I'd enjoy the finest restaurants, weekend get-away's with exotic women, all of the finer things in life.....OK who am I kidding, I'd spend my nights at home in my underwear eating Captain Crunch and watching boobies on Cinemax.

I admire all of you independent singles, for me the drive to stay on my pedestal as a respectable husband and father is the thing that keeps my knuckles from dragging on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships