Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 02:45 AM

21,535 posts, read 8,719,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenPox View Post
Sorry, but I can't think of any man who is over 50 and still in some way attractive. Does not exist.
"Hmmm..." -- Pierce Brosnan
"Wow!" -- George Clooney
"Really?" -- Brad Pitt
"You're kidding me!" -- Brian Williams
"Have you read my fan mail lately? -- Denzel Washington
"That's not the way I heard it!" -- Colin Firth
"Hahahahaha" -- Viggo Mortensen
"No way, José!" -- Antonio Banderas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:29 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmith357 View Post
This thread is hilarious, a woman complaining about older men as gold diggers? Really?

What is the percentage out there where that is the case vs. young women dating older rich men just for the money? So I am guessing when the shoe is on the other foot, it's not ok? Really?

What exactly is the point of this thread again?
Those are not parallel situations. The gold digger has to offer something good in exchange for the purse, such as being beautiful and charming. Unless the "older" guy is Jefferson D'Arcy, the woman expected to provide a nurse or purse isn't getting that in exchange.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:14 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
"Hmmm..." -- Pierce Brosnan
"Wow!" -- George Clooney
"Really?" -- Brad Pitt
"You're kidding me!" -- Brian Williams
"Have you read my fan mail lately? -- Denzel Washington
"That's not the way I heard it!" -- Colin Firth
"Hahahahaha" -- Viggo Mortensen
"No way, José!" -- Antonio Banderas

Viggo Mortensen is the hottest on this list

I have to agree there are some really good looking/hot men over 50. But the majority aren't. Most aren't even in basic shape (most are overweight--74% of men in the US are overweight and 36% are both overweight and obese). None of the men over 40 that I dated were all that physically impressive (let the few I dated who were just over 50).

Although I would have to agree, I would have a hard time being attracted to a man my dad's age or older than my dad. I can date older (I dated men in their early 50s after all), but when they start getting closer to my dad's age than mine, I just can't. I think most women share this (I base this off both marriage statistics and observation. Very few people marry someone with more than a 10 year difference/how often do you see couples in public who have a large age-gap?)

Of course, hotness and looks aren't all that makes a man attractive either, it's just one quality and probably not the most important for most women (and it's why the appearance of the men I dated wasn't a deal breaker for me). Where the men I dated fell short was mainly personalty (not that they had "bad" personalities, they just weren't really compatible with mine).

Although I also ran into a lot of really weird men (mostly clingy/mostly the older end of things) desperately looking for a wife (and any women would do). Big turn off and I would chalk that desperation to looking for a nurse/purse. I guess I can kind of relate to the younger guys who accuse women of having "baby rabies" some men have their own version of this (concerning being alone) when they are older it seems.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,890,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Viggo Mortensen is the hottest on this list

I have to agree there are some really good looking/hot men over 50. But the majority aren't. Most aren't even in basic shape (most are overweight--74% of men in the US are overweight and 36% are both overweight and obese). None of the men over 40 that I dated were all that physically impressive (let the few I dated who were just over 50).

Although I would have to agree, I would have a hard time being attracted to a man my dad's age or older than my dad. I can date older (I dated men in their early 50s after all), but when they start getting closer to my dad's age than mine, I just can't. I think most women share this (I base this off both marriage statistics and observation. Very few people marry someone with more than a 10 year difference/how often do you see couples in public who have a large age-gap?)

Of course, hotness and looks aren't all that makes a man attractive either, it's just one quality and probably not the most important for most women (and it's why the appearance of the men I dated wasn't a deal breaker for me). Where the men I dated fell short was mainly personalty (not that they had "bad" personalities, they just weren't really compatible with mine).

Although I also ran into a lot of really weird men (mostly clingy/mostly the older end of things) desperately looking for a wife (and any women would do). Big turn off and I would chalk that desperation to looking for a nurse/purse. I guess I can kind of relate to the younger guys who accuse women of having "baby rabies" some men have their own version of this (concerning being alone) when they are older it seems.
I agree. The funny thing is the majority of the men I saw wanting younger were repulsive. Very few men even my age were hot, most were at least chubby and balding.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I met a guy a while ago who was about 58 and he could not take care of himself.
Toilets were dirty, garbage all over the kitchen, finances were a mess.
He was fat, out of shape, and lived on anti-depressants and beta blockers.
He was looking for a nurse (and a purse).
Yep... he sure does sound like a mess.
Would your outlook improve if he had the cash?

Quote:
I can't be a purse (I'm broke)
and I certainly don't want to be somebody's nurse.
How about a workout trainer and nutritionist?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:25 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yep... he sure does sound like a mess.
Would your outlook improve if he had the cash?

How about a workout trainer and nutritionist?
You know, I am not the person you are asking, but I will answer. It still doesn't sound like a "relationship" or even the least bit something based on love and mutual interest. It sounds like a job. If he's unable to do it himself, I'd say the man in question should hire a maid, hire a nutritionist/trainer, etc so he can spend time actually dating and building and/or maintaining a relationship with a woman as a partner in life and love, not an employee.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:06 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,953 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I can't think of any man who is over 50 and still in some way attractive. Does not exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Agreed.

One thing I have noticed: All of those tattoos they got in the 90s look AWFUL now and I am sooooo glad I never got any. Wow.

But other than that, it really depends on how well they've taken care of themselves and what general look they're sporting. If they have a sense of style, are clean-shaven, and in good shape, attractive is as attractive does. But if a man has treated his body like a garbage dump, sports graying stubble, and runs around in sloppy clothes or clothes meant for men 25 years younger, then no.

General rule of thumb is that the older a man gets, the neater his grooming and clothing need to be because it's a fine line between looking deliberately tousled, like a surfer, and looking like he should be sitting on a corner jangling a tin cup.

I suppose that's true of women, too. But it seems some men think they are immune to aging and that they can pull off "boyish" good looks when they belong to AARP. Nope.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
One thing I have noticed: All of those tattoos they got in the 90s look AWFUL now and I am sooooo glad I never got any. Wow.

But other than that, it really depends on how well they've taken care of themselves and what general look they're sporting. If they have a sense of style, are clean-shaven, and in good shape, attractive is as attractive does. But if a man has treated his body like a garbage dump, sports graying stubble, and runs around in sloppy clothes or clothes meant for men 25 years younger, then no.

General rule of thumb is that the older a man gets, the neater his grooming and clothing need to be because it's a fine line between looking deliberately tousled, like a surfer, and looking like he should be sitting on a corner jangling a tin cup.

I suppose that's true of women, too. But it seems some men think they are immune to aging and that they can pull off "boyish" good looks when they belong to AARP. Nope.
Ha! This gave me a good laugh. Thank you.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:03 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

The bolded is pretty funny.

It's true. There are men (and women) who go around looking like, as my teen daughter says, hobos. When one is a 20-something, he/she can get away with sloppy attire and a just-out-of-bed look, but over 35, not so much.

Yeah, Chickenpox, I certainly see attractive 50-something men (and, occasionally, even 60-something men), though they may be in the minority. They are the men who, generally speaking, have probably stayed active, watched what they ate, didn't smoke or drink excessively, and put a little bit of effort into their appearances.

They're out there. The real problem is finding an over-50 man who's attractive, intelligent, AND who possesses other qualities one looks for in a LTR partner.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
...AND who possesses other qualities one looks for in a LTR partner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT_H08ppIs4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships