Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

None of us enjoy being criticized. Too often, we take it personally when it's really meant to be helpful. And sometimes, what we're told is stuff we deserve to be told even though we don't like to hear it. Ever know someone who seemed a bit defensive or too sensitive about anything you said about them? For example, if you pay them a compliment, instead of accepting it, they read some hidden meaning or they interpret it as back-handed? How do you deal with such people and more importantly, why do people act like that and how do you point out to them they're doing it without making things worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
I would have to listen to the tone of the person. Depending on it my level of defensiveness goes up or down.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:34 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
None of us enjoy being criticized. Too often, we take it personally when it's really meant to be helpful. And sometimes, what we're told is stuff we deserve to be told even though we don't like to hear it. Ever know someone who seemed a bit defensive or too sensitive about anything you said about them? For example, if you pay them a compliment, instead of accepting it, they read some hidden meaning or they interpret it as back-handed? How do you deal with such people and more importantly, why do people act like that and how do you point out to them they're doing it without making things worse?
It's all in the way you say it. If you say it the way many of us have on here, of course they're going to become defensive (I'm guilty too of not watching how I word things and my tone). That's not to say you should *****-foot around it and coddle anyone, there is a happy medium.

As for your example, that's a sign of low self esteem. I used to do it and when someone gently pointed it out to me--that I really need to learn how to accept a compliment and believe it b'c he didn't hand out compliments loosely (and I knew that to be true)--it really opened my eyes to how people see me in that area.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM

754 posts, read 1,449,431 times
Sometimes, how you say something is just as important as what you say.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Believe it or not, I'm known in real life as a pretty tactful guy, the go-to to discuss unpleasant truths. Evidently I have a knack for doing it without royally pissing off people. It must be the tone of deep and profound regret and embarrassment that I put in my voice.

That being said, I had a business partner like that. She would waltz into my office and bless me out over the most trivial, petty, and sometimes nonexistent things. Sure, there were times I screwed up and gave her a mea culpa. But this woman would never admit to ANYTHING, and took deep umbrage at anybody who said anything. Our sales guy had been waiting on business cards for three months? Not her fault. She lost an entire box of irreplaceable client apparel samples, thereby costing us a very plum account? Not her fault. She shipped an entire pallet of materials to the wrong address in a different state, even though the address was written in bold and underlined on the work order? Again, not her fault. She would get her hackles raised if anything, anything might be even slightly laid at her doorstep. She wound up being hated by everybody and, when I finally fired her, all my employees went out for drinks.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:42 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I would have to listen to the tone of the person. Depending on it my level of defensiveness goes up or down.
Yep!

Old 12-23-2008, 03:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
I had a roommate like that. Often times he was the one delivering the backhanded comments to me. Whenever I'd say something friendly or nice he would get very defensive. I'd be like hmmm okkkaaay.

Quote:

Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I had a roommate like that. Often times he was the one delivering the backhanded comments to me. Whenever I'd say something friendly or nice he would get very defensive. I'd be like hmmm okkkaaay.
How did you deal with it and why do you think he did that? I'm just trying to understand why some people behave in this way. Is it a self-esteem issue?

Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Well first off he made me very angry and I hated being around him. I spent most of my time in my room or had headphones on when in his presence in order to avoid a discussion. At other times when I needed to talk with him I'd keep the topic only on business and kept conversations short. It was not possible to be his friend.

From the sources that I have read people are very defensive because they are hiding something which is usually their own agenda that involves you being used or taken advantage of and they don't want you to discover that.

The other reasons are your typical low self esteem, insecurities, envy, and poor social etiquette excuses all rolled into one.

Quote:
How did you deal with it and why do you think he did that? I'm just trying to understand why some people behave in this way. Is it a self-esteem issue?

Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
It could be caused from alot of things really. Jealousy issues, or possibly something that is eating at them, and they just lash out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships