Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:41 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,705,713 times

Advertisements

Obviously this was from a website...No idea how accurate it is; not that stats are that accurate to being with.

[CENTER] [SIZE=4]Infidelity Statistics[/SIZE]

[/CENTER]
Below are compiled statistics on infidelity and marriage:
Percentage of marriages that end in divorce in America: 53%
Percentage of "arranged marriages" (where parents pick their sons or daughters spouses) that end in divorce: 3%
Medical field(s) with the highest divorce rate: psychiatrists and marriage counselors
Percentage of marriages where one or both spouses admit to infidelity, either physical or emotional: 41%
Percentage of men who admit to committing infidelity in any relationship they've had: 57%
Percentage of women who admit to committing infidelity in any relationship they've had: 54%
Percentage of men and women who admit to having an affair with a co-worker: 36%
Percentage of men and women who admit to infidelity on business trips: 36%
Percentage of men and women who admit to infidelity (emotional or physical) with a brother-in-law or sister-in-law: 17%
Average length of an affair: 2 years
Percentage of marriages that last after an affair has been admitted to or discovered: 31%
Percentage of men who say they would have an affair if they knew they would never get caught: 74%
Percentage of women who say they would have an affair if they knew they would never get caught: 68%

[CENTER] [SIZE=4]Why Men Cheat[/SIZE]

[/CENTER]
Statistically speaking, men cheat for a single primary reason: sex.
Human beings are not monogamous by nature. They don't mate for life with the first person of the opposite sex they come across. And it's because of this biology, it's believed, that many men experience the natural urge to "spread their seed".
Now to be sure, in the case of marriages or committed relationships, there is far more than just biology at work. Many men report a loss of sexual desire for their wives after children are born...or even after witnessing their wives give birth. Their wives, to them, no longer appear as sex objects, but rather maternal figures.
Another widely reported cause is the breakdown of fun or spontaneity in the relationship. For example, to men in long-term relationships sex will become routine or mechanical. Not an adventure as it once was, but simply as a means to an end. And so they seek that adventure, that adrenaline rush, with another woman (or women).
Yet another cause is more biology related...the need to conquer. Think ego. It's reported that many men will seek sex outside of a relationship simply to see if they can do it. To see if they can convince a woman they are attracted to...to sleep with them. It's the "notch in the belt" phenomenon that while frowned upon in America, is surprisingly widely accepted in many parts of the world.

[CENTER] [SIZE=4]Why Women Cheat[/SIZE]

[/CENTER]
Statistically, women don't cheat for the sake of sex. It's of secondary concern for them. The #1 reason why they cheat is for an emotional connection. And this is particularly true of women over the age of 30.
In more than a few instances, women won't even cheat physically. They will carry on emotional affairs...where they'll fall in love and experience emotional intimacy with a men, while never taking it to the physical level. It's these type of affairs that can continue on for years, without ever being detected, and often leaving a wake of destruction in their path.
Studies have found that in long-term relationships, women, whether they work outside of the house or not, often find themselves "shut out" emotionally. Over 70% of women are still the primary caregivers for their children while also being the cook and the maid...whether or not they have a full or part-time job. This leaves them precious little time for themselves to foster a woman's natural urge to grow emotionally. An urge typical ignored by men whose primary interest is physical contact.
Thus the longing for a man who can "see who they really are" begins. And in the weeks, months or even years that follow, they will usually find such a man - or think they've found one. An interesting point to takeaway of this female need for an "emotional bond" : affairs initiated by women generally last 3 times long than those initiated by men.
Infidelity Facts and Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
Knowing all the marriages I've seen go bust over the years, I think this is spot on.

I think one of the biggest canards is this belief that affairs are mostly had by men. This is pretty much self-congratulation on the part of women. Women are just as likely to cheat, but are better at covering their tracks.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,651,696 times
The problem with stats is they often give a misleading picture. For example, 53% of all marriages end in divorce, but how many of those are the person's first marriage? And how old were those people when they got married? People who get married really young or people on their second or third marriage are more likely to divorce so they'll push the average divorce rate up.

The infidelity figures don't surprise me though. I think it goes on a lot more than people admit and the sad thing is that it's become so common in our culture, people are no longer shocked by it. Some, like several on this forum who I won't mention, even defend it in some cases.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,394,345 times
You know what I find interesting? The fact how many women are having emotional affairs! Those type of affairs are way more damaging then just having a physical affair. One reason is that those women don't acknowledge that they are having an affair, in their minds if they are not crossing that physical line, then they are not cheating!!! Cheating starts with A THOUGHT, ladies and gentlemen!! Another thing is those type of affairs can go on and on for years, because there is less chance of getting caught...So in the long run it's worse then what men are doing (which is mostly just getting a booty).

Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,705,713 times
Yeah, it's all about how you look at it. I think there's a tremendous pressure to get married in today's society. If I didn't get married, my parents and grandparents would literally consider me a failure. Combine that with the fact that when you reach 40-50 most do not want to be alone.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Yeah, it's all about how you look at it. I think there's a tremendous pressure to get married in today's society. If I didn't get married, my parents and grandparents would literally consider me a failure. Combine that with the fact that when you reach 40-50 most do not want to be alone.
Just curious about that last statement - do you really think this is true? I think that come 40, 50 or so a lot of people (who have either been married and divorced or stayed single) are just starting to be comfortable in their own skin, have got over the peer and parent pressuring and may well deem it difficult to mesh their lives with someone else. Being alone is a very far cry from being lonely.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:02 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,360,929 times
my question would be: if people want to have affairs, and/or think it's o.k. to do so, why do they bother getting married-- just so they can have one person as a 'convenience' while making a fool of that person?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,394,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Just curious about that last statement - do you really think this is true? I think that come 40, 50 or so a lot of people (who have either been married and divorced or stayed single) are just starting to be comfortable in their own skin, have got over the peer and parent pressuring and may well deem it difficult to mesh their lives with someone else. Being alone is a very far cry from being lonely.
Sorry to jump in, but I think it definitely depends on a person. When my mother passed away, after 25 years of marriage, my father couldn't handle being alone. He found someone within 3 months after her death. I couldn't judge him. He lived with a woman all his life, he couldn't handle being alone.
I think those people who finally at the age of 40 broke free from an unsuccessful marriage are the ones to appreciate their freedom and being on their own the most.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Sorry to jump in, but I think it definitely depends on a person. When my mother passed away, after 25 years of marriage, my father couldn't handle being alone. He found someone within 3 months after her death. I couldn't judge him. He lived with a woman all his life, he couldn't handle being alone.
I think those people who finally at the age of 40 broke free from an unsuccessful marriage are the ones to appreciate their freedom and being on their own the most.
I couldn't agree with you more and that was my point. Your father's situation is absolutely normal and happens all the time. Good for him!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,557,613 times
Great info. It confirms that women are just as bad as men or men are just as bad as women. It all depends on who you ask here....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships