Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times

Advertisements

You can give yourself a headache trying to figure out which is the true self -- the way someone is when drunk or the way they are when sober. Is the real one nice and polite or mean and nasty? Does alcohol release the real self?

In my opinion the drunk is just a generic drunk that takes possession of the real one. The drunk will just say whatever the alcohol has him or her saying, sleeping with whoever the alcohol determines. Also the drunk isn't consistent, he or she can be sweet and then 5 minutes later be nasty. Or be laughing and happy and 5 minutes later be crying in his or her beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes702 View Post
I apologize in advance for the length.... however, I wanted to give a little back story ....
Recently moved out of my home town and left my ex behind. After realizing I was serious and really leaving him behind he begged me to let him move to be with me for nearly a year. I wrote him long letter outlining what I would/would not accept if I let him move to be with me. I let him know very clearly what I expected from him. He agreed to everything and told me I was right about everything I’d said in my letter. When he first arrived everything was wonderful (sunshine, rose petals and happy songs LOL). Slowly it went from sugar to sh*t and it didn’t take long to realize the honeymoon was OVER. Although it’s clear he’s trying to work on the things I told him I wouldn’t deal with, it seems like he doing it grudgingly. On one hand I see him trying and on the other hand he’s going back to his old ways.
Yesterday was the day that makes me say I made a HORRIBLE mistake by letting him move to where I am. I had a doctor’s appointment and he knew about it. I called him and he didn’t answer his phone. When I finally spoke with him he said he was “with friends and didn’t hear the phone”. I think that was a load of crap so I told him so and hung up on him. I’d say about 3 hours later he started calling me about every 45 minutes but I never answered his calls. So last night he goes to a party with the same people he was with when he “didn’t hear my call” and gets TOTALLY trashed!! He calls me around midnight and I answered and he was talking kind of crazy so I know he was well on his way to being drunk. So I tell him to leave me alone and we get off the phone. He calls back a few more times and I was half sleep so I honestly don’t remember the conversations.
So around 3am I wake up and he’s not home yet. I’m PISSED because our rule is you do NOT stay out all night. Doesn’t matter who you’re with and where you are and …. there is NEVER a good reason to stay out all night. So I get in my car go to where he is (not too far from the house). I pull up and he’s in his car , 2 open beers in the tray, car keys in his lap, drivers side car door WIDE open and he’s PASSED OUT!! I was LIVID … I went ballistic on him!!! He’s barely coherent so he’s mumbling saying “I’m right outside the house” …. I’m like NO YOUR NOT!! So I’m trying to make him get up so he can get in my car and I can drive him home and he won’t move. So then he starts in with the “drunk talk”. You’re so F’n annoying, you get on my nerves just leave me the F alone and all types of other stuff. So at first I’m ignoring him chalking it up to “drunk talk” then as I try to make him get out of his car he continues talking crap. So I say IF you feel this way WHY did you move here and he says “cause I didn’t have nothing better to do” he’s going on and on and on… REALLY pissing me off because this is all stuff I was “thinking “he felt before. So I poured out the beers, took his keys threw them in the back under passenger seat and left his ass there. This morning I’m getting ready for work and he comes in and asks we argue a bit and then I leave for work. So around lunch time he calls me a few times asking “what did I say to you”? I told him I was at work and did NOT want to get into it with him. We hang up and he calls me back like an hour later saying what did I say???? Did I say I didn’t want to marry you? I told him no but he said other things that I wasn’t getting into. He then said … so is it over are we over? I can’t imagine us being over and then he asked were we still doing something for his birthday!! I am STILL so pissed OFF about the WHOLE thing.

So… should I take all the mean stuff he said as “drunk talk” or should I take it as… a drunk usually tells the truth??? I’ve always believed drunks say what people really want to say when their sober!!!

No dont marry this potential murderer....or even associate yourself with him

Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
Quote:
Isn't Drunk Talk Usually Truth Talk.........
No, drunk talk is usually BS talk. I know I've said things myself while intoxicated that I'd wished I could have taken back the next day. Alcohol doesn't convert an ordinary mind into a deep philosophical analytical machine, it converts it into an incoherent blubbering mass of dying brain cells and loss of motor skills.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 PM

588 posts, read 956,854 times
I think it depends. A friend of mine (who suffers from depression) is able to "function" peacefully in society, until she drinks, that is. The alcohol unleashes her depression, and she's crying uncontrollably, telling all her deepest fears/secrets/whoas. So in a way, the alcohol talk is true. When sober, my friend acts as if nothing really bothers her.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Some people lose their filters when they drink, and some people just blather on and on about things of no particular truth or consequence. I was once having 3 a.m. diner brunch with a friend who was drunk, and she wanted nothing more than to have a long, involved discussion about her invention that was going to make her rich. The invention? The wooden clothes hanger. Um, yes. It already exists. And I don't believe you made one.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes702 View Post
I apologize in advance for the length.... however, I wanted to give a little back story ....
Recently moved out of my home town and left my ex behind. After realizing I was serious and really leaving him behind he begged me to let him move to be with me for nearly a year. I wrote him long letter outlining what I would/would not accept if I let him move to be with me. I let him know very clearly what I expected from him. He agreed to everything and told me I was right about everything I’d said in my letter. When he first arrived everything was wonderful (sunshine, rose petals and happy songs LOL). Slowly it went from sugar to sh*t and it didn’t take long to realize the honeymoon was OVER. Although it’s clear he’s trying to work on the things I told him I wouldn’t deal with, it seems like he doing it grudgingly. On one hand I see him trying and on the other hand he’s going back to his old ways.
Yesterday was the day that makes me say I made a HORRIBLE mistake by letting him move to where I am. I had a doctor’s appointment and he knew about it. I called him and he didn’t answer his phone. When I finally spoke with him he said he was “with friends and didn’t hear the phone”. I think that was a load of crap so I told him so and hung up on him. I’d say about 3 hours later he started calling me about every 45 minutes but I never answered his calls. So last night he goes to a party with the same people he was with when he “didn’t hear my call” and gets TOTALLY trashed!! He calls me around midnight and I answered and he was talking kind of crazy so I know he was well on his way to being drunk. So I tell him to leave me alone and we get off the phone. He calls back a few more times and I was half sleep so I honestly don’t remember the conversations.
So around 3am I wake up and he’s not home yet. I’m PISSED because our rule is you do NOT stay out all night. Doesn’t matter who you’re with and where you are and …. there is NEVER a good reason to stay out all night. So I get in my car go to where he is (not too far from the house). I pull up and he’s in his car , 2 open beers in the tray, car keys in his lap, drivers side car door WIDE open and he’s PASSED OUT!! I was LIVID … I went ballistic on him!!! He’s barely coherent so he’s mumbling saying “I’m right outside the house” …. I’m like NO YOUR NOT!! So I’m trying to make him get up so he can get in my car and I can drive him home and he won’t move. So then he starts in with the “drunk talk”. You’re so F’n annoying, you get on my nerves just leave me the F alone and all types of other stuff. So at first I’m ignoring him chalking it up to “drunk talk” then as I try to make him get out of his car he continues talking crap. So I say IF you feel this way WHY did you move here and he says “cause I didn’t have nothing better to do” he’s going on and on and on… REALLY pissing me off because this is all stuff I was “thinking “he felt before. So I poured out the beers, took his keys threw them in the back under passenger seat and left his ass there. This morning I’m getting ready for work and he comes in and asks we argue a bit and then I leave for work. So around lunch time he calls me a few times asking “what did I say to you”? I told him I was at work and did NOT want to get into it with him. We hang up and he calls me back like an hour later saying what did I say???? Did I say I didn’t want to marry you? I told him no but he said other things that I wasn’t getting into. He then said … so is it over are we over? I can’t imagine us being over and then he asked were we still doing something for his birthday!! I am STILL so pissed OFF about the WHOLE thing.

So… should I take all the mean stuff he said as “drunk talk” or should I take it as… a drunk usually tells the truth??? I’ve always believed drunks say what people really want to say when their sober!!!
I know for a fact people have lied to my while they were drunk. Alcohol isn't truth serum. Alcohol lowers inhibitions, and one of the inhibitions most people have while sober is against lying. Drunk people say what they feel at the moment. It doesn't mean that is how they feel all the time.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I know for a fact people have lied to my while they were drunk. Alcohol isn't truth serum. Alcohol lowers inhibitions, and one of the inhibitions most people have while sober is against lying. Drunk people say what they feel at the moment. It doesn't mean that is how they feel all the time.
Roger....I have sumfin, sumfin *hic*, to tell, *hic*, you.

demoman gibberish interpretation - YouTube

Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Unfortunately, drunk talk isn't truth talk. It's often incoherent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships