Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:18 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

OK, this question is directed only at the people who are open to dating someone who already has kids. If you're not one of those people, please don't bother replying. I don't want to see this thread turn into another "Don't date anyone with kids/why single moms should be avoided" thread, even though I'm sure someone will eventually offer that sentiment.

As a single male in his mid 30s, I've met a number of women in my age range who already have kids. I personally don't have a problem dating someone who has kids. I've done it before and, while it was difficult at times, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. But I'm also lucky because I've never had to deal with a lot of the drama that others have described encountering. I also have never dated anyone with more than one child.

Recently, I met a woman in her late 30s. We hit it off and I thought about asking her out. I learned that she had kids, but it didn't discourage my interest. What did give me pause, though, was learning that her two kids were from different marriages. I don't know the exact dates of when she got married and divorced, but I think her first marriage was in her early 20s and lasted til her late 20s. The second marriage was in her early 30s and just ended about a year ago. So neither marriage was short, at least not by today's standards.

My question is this. If you met someone who had kids, would it make any difference to you if the kids came from different marriages/relationships and, if so, why?

I think what gave me pause was the prospect of having to deal with potential drama from two fathers instead of one. I'm hoping to hear from others who have been in this situation or perhaps from parents who have kids from different marriages and started dating again after divorce.

For the purpose of this thread, exclude the stereotype of the young single mom who had kids with a bunch of different guys and assume the person you meet is a responsible adult who isn't looking for a daddy for her kids, isn't interested in having more kids, and may not even be looking to get married again. They just want to date and perhaps have a serious relationship with someone who will accept their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I have to admit that yes, it would make a difference to me.

At the very least, there are TWO other parents to deal with, rather than just one. More drama than I need or want. But every situation is different, I'd have to base my call on the individual and their specific situation.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
It would certainly make a difference to me.

I married a single mom, and that was something I thought I'd never do.

I don't think I could have married someone who had children from two different fathers.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Long ago, before I was married, I dated several gals that were divorced with children at home. Kinda hard to date women in their 30's that have never been married. And many had children.

None with more than one dad though.

I don't think it's a real big issue, especially if you two get along well. That's the most important thing, eh?

I'm sure I would've been open to that kind of situation.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
It would matter to me. I would never date a guy who left a trail of kids all across the US.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
It would matter to me. I would never date a guy who left a trail of kids all across the US.
OK, this is the kind of response I was hoping to avoid. Having a child with two different wives is NOT what I could call leaving a trail of kids. Maybe the guy got married at 25, had a kid, and got divorced at 31. Then he remarried at 33, had a kid, and divorced at 39. This scenario isn't that hard to imagine happening given how common divorce and remarriage is.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. We all make mistakes and do weird things. I happen to really, really like kids, too, so not a big deal.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,871,648 times
I have dated a few guys with kids. Your situation is fairly common here. My current bf was married three times so he could have had kids by 3 different women.

I think what is more important is how she and the exes deal with the situation.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM

The other thing I forgot to add is that you might not find out until later that his or her kids are from different marriages. When you first meet, you may learn that they have kids. But would you think to ask if they have the same parents? Would that person think to even mention it at that point?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:36 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I am open to men with kids. In fact, it is a turn on when I see how good a father is with a child.

However, it is very different from my perspective. In most cases, the mother has primary custody of the child(ren), so dating a father is a little different. Would I date a man who had more than one kid by different mothers...hmm...that would depend on the circumstances. What's more important to me is that he is involved with his kids and treats them right. I do have to say that I don't like the idea of dealing with two or more exs watching and judging my every move. Eek.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships