Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:43 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times

Advertisements

We all know how gender roles used to be: The husband works to support his wife and children. The wife stays home and cooks, cleans, and teaches the children. The wife is expected to be one thing and the husband to be another.

Now that society has changed and for most couples the traditional family is no longer realistic, what kind of gender roles do YOU currently practice or would like to practice once your partner comes along?

Do the guys in here have a problem with their wife working and sending the kids to daycare, or does your wife work and you stay home? I'm curious to see how many different ways these gender roles have shifted through the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 02:46 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
As far as I am concerned, it is mainly women who worry about gender roles.

I plan to work for a very long time, because I need money to survive. Other than that I do not care, I'll deal with these problems as they come.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:47 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I do everything.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
I don't care for traditional gender roles and would much rather have an equal partner. I'd want my partner to work because I think it's very difficult to survive these days on one income. As for household and child-rearing responsibilities, I believe those should be shared equally. I have no problem cooking, cleaning, helping with kids, etc. and would never delegate those to my partner.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I once had an ex who offered to have me move in with her, quit my career, stay home while she worked and she'd even pay my child support. There was no way I could go along with that arrangement. I do not want to loaf around while my S.O. picks up the tab. Eventually that comes into play in an argument, I do not want to be a kept man, especially because of finances. As it is now, I do everything myself; my own cooking, laundry, dishes, shopping, trash, and other things that need fixing or attention around the house. I'm the one who helps my daughter with her homework and attends teacher/parent meetings. I put in a 45 hour week, then come home and I'm on the go until about 8PM. It's like having a roommate instead of a spouse, and this was long before things went south between us. At least when I'm on my own again it won't be too much of a transition, I've already been taking care of myself and then some. So to answer your question, no I don't have an issue with gender roles but being the man I am I couldn't be someone's "wife" and stay home while she worked all day. Nothing against anyone who does but it wouldn't be for me. Also, if one person is working full time, and the other is working part time or staying home, the one who stays home should be doing a bulk of the household chores. It's only fair.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 08-17-2009 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 PM

264 posts, read 819,607 times
He worked full time and I worked part time, so I took care of the house and kids much more so than he did...however, even during the times when he did not work (looking for a job when we moved etc.) I still did the majority of the housework and childcare, although he would cook some. I think the gender roles changing in todays society means that the wife now has to work AND keep the kids and house up.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:59 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I don't care for traditional gender roles and would much rather have an equal partner. I'd want my partner to work because I think it's very difficult to survive these days on one income. As for household and child-rearing responsibilities, I believe those should be shared equally. I have no problem cooking, cleaning, helping with kids, etc. and would never delegate those to my partner.
Now THAT I respect

Old 08-17-2009, 03:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'd agree with this, although Id be willing to trade the cleaning and do most of the cooking.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:25 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
We all know how gender roles used to be: The husband works to support his wife and children. The wife stays home and cooks, cleans, and teaches the children. The wife is expected to be one thing and the husband to be another.
Actually, this is incorrect. The gender roles that most people in America today call "traditional" were actually an anomaly from the 1950's and the 1960's. This is actually a very brief period in history when a family could survive on a single income. For the majority of recorded history, women had to work to supplement the family's income. Many women worked from home, it's true, but it was still work that brought in cash.

The truly "traditional" gender roles don't have anything to do with a model where the husband earns all the money and the wife changes all the diapers. Rather, historically, traditional gender roles encompass a double standard where the work performed by one gender is valued less than the work performed by the other. This double standard runs very deep. So even today, you may have men who have no objections to their wives working, indeed, expect their wives to work -- yet still cling to the notion that women's work isn't as important, etc. as the same work done by men. That's what traditional gender roles are really about.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I'd agree with this, although Id be willing to trade the cleaning and do most of the cooking.
Well, I have absolutely no problem doing the cleaning and would, in fact, prefer to do it. As for the cooking, I'm not a great cook. But I would enjoy cooking with my partner. It can be a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships