Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:33 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Man, he let himself go! And I'm willing to bet that a man could pick up more weight than that. Notice though, that she hasn't got the weight off the ground in your picture. I know that there are women that lift weights, but a man can still lift more.
That man is pregnant. Actually for a pregnancy he is in good shape. It is irrelevant who can lift more weight. Some women can lift more than some men. The point is gender roles have changed.

Quote:
Thus, men are better suited for physical labor. Men don't get pregnant--do you suppose there's a reason for that?
Yes. They dont naturally have a uterus or the correct hormones. Just wait medical technology will get there.

Quote:
Perhaps because women are more nurturing than men?
Perhaps generally they are more conditioned to be, but again gender roles are changing. If you think women are that weak and nurturing do a search on women warriors and women who kill their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:22 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I give men credit where it's due. We don't need a bunch of metrosexual nancy boys out there among our nation's children.
I don't think a man playing an active role in his child's life constitutes a nancy boy; taking such responsibility is quite the opposite. And when dealing with children an adult should be nurturing.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That man is pregnant. Actually for a pregnancy he is in good shape. It is irrelevant who can lift more weight. Some women can lift more than some men. The point is gender roles have changed.
I don't understand why the emphasis on manual/physical labor. I suppose physical strength was the hall mark for success back in the day, but now it's brain strength. That is usually where it counts in western culture (imo/ime).

Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
I don't think a man playing an active role in his child's life constitutes a nancy boy; taking such responsibility is quite the opposite. And when dealing with children an adult should be nurturing.
I have wonderful memories of the time I spent with my father camping, hiking, fishing, baking, gardening and snuggled under his arm watching TV. I wish I had taken photos of the many times I found him asleep with his grandchildren across his chest after rocking them to sleep in the easyboy.

Quote:
I don't understand why the emphasis on manual/physical labor. I suppose physical strength was the hall mark for success back in the day, but now it's brain strength. That is usually where it counts in western culture (imo/ime).
Exactly. Women have comparable earning power and can hire someone to lift the heavy stuff for them.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,689,057 times
Since my wife makes more than I do the traditional gender roles only mean something when my wife feels "overwhelmed" at work. When that happens suddenly I get the "I do everything by myself" rant that goes with it. The reality of the situation is that during the work week we are fortunate enough to have someone handle the cooking, cleaning, taking our daughter to and from her various activities, and the most we have to do is check and sign homework during the school year. Yet with all of this (I have to call it "imaginary") help she still feels she has to everything on her own. When I ask what am I not doing she tells me I'm not taking a more "proactive" approach with things that are wrong around the house (i.e. mirror door to medicine cabinet). I think the answer to the previously stated problem is BUY ANOTHER FREAKING MEDICINE CABINET, which I'm willing to do, but what style, what color, how much do we spend on it? etc. These questions as I as a man knows can only be answered by my wife. Now if I just go out and buy the cabinet without any input from her I'm either wrong, or selfish, or passive-aggressive because I just want to get a job done without having to bring it to committee, yet I have been told (ad-nausea) that whatever changes or improvements made in the house were handled by her, while I deal with and maintain the automobiles (and electronics, and anything else she feels should be handled by the man of the house). Its funny there are a few things I feel the "woman" of the house should handle, but if I mention them I suddenly get called a male chauvinist, or misogynist. So you see to me these gender roles are more BS to justify either emasculating men, or calling them lazy. It can really be used either way.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,426,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Since my wife makes more than I do the traditional gender roles only mean something when my wife feels "overwhelmed" at work. When that happens suddenly I get the "I do everything by myself" rant that goes with it. The reality of the situation is that during the work week we are fortunate enough to have someone handle the cooking, cleaning, taking our daughter to and from her various activities, and the most we have to do is check and sign homework during the school year. Yet with all of this (I have to call it "imaginary") help she still feels she has to everything on her own. When I ask what am I not doing she tells me I'm not taking a more "proactive" approach with things that are wrong around the house (i.e. mirror door to medicine cabinet). I think the answer to the previously stated problem is BUY ANOTHER FREAKING MEDICINE CABINET, which I'm willing to do, but what style, what color, how much do we spend on it? etc. These questions as I as a man knows can only be answered by my wife. Now if I just go out and buy the cabinet without any input from her I'm either wrong, or selfish, or passive-aggressive because I just want to get a job done without having to bring it to committee, yet I have been told (ad-nausea) that whatever changes or improvements made in the house were handled by her, while I deal with and maintain the automobiles (and electronics, and anything else she feels should be handled by the man of the house). Its funny there are a few things I feel the "woman" of the house should handle, but if I mention them I suddenly get called a male chauvinist, or misogynist. So you see to me these gender roles are more BS to justify either emasculating men, or calling them lazy. It can really be used either way.
Sounds like you have a typical marriage

Old 08-20-2009, 04:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
What I've said before before about these crazy "independent" types is: why do they even WANT a man in their life, if they can do it all themselves?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
What I've said before before about these crazy "independent" types is: why do they even WANT a man in their life, if they can do it all themselves?
I'm not sure what you mean by crazy independent types. Most adults are independent; in that they work, take care of their business, etc. There's a ton of reasons for wanting a partner; love and companionship come to mind. I would bet that a lot of men would prefer a woman wanting them in their lives as opposed to needing them financially.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Most of them seem to hate men...so why bother? Get a dog, he's easier to deal with.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Most of them seem to hate men...so why bother? Get a dog, he's easier to deal with.
Hate is a strong word. But, perhaps independent women tend to like specific types of men while disliking others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships