Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,164,760 times

Advertisements

Went on Date #5 with Girl A last night. Went well, basically decided not to spend money and just cuddled on her couch, watched a movie, talked, made out, and drank wine (not in that order).

Couple things popped up that bothered me.

1. She slipped about something someone "we ran into" (meaning me and her) last night, which we didn't go out last night, she was at a friends bday party. She's had like 3 friend's have bdays in the last 4 weeks. Odd. Probably means she's seeing another dude, but this actually isn't a flag for me, she's allowed to date others, and I have a date line up with Girl B this weekend.

2. We're sitting there talking and she says out of nowhere "you are such a sweetheart, why are you so nice to me?" I really didn't know how to respond, I haven't really done ANYTHING THAT NICE. I took her out on dates which we went dutch on almost all of them. I don't compliment her very often, and I don't shower her with gifts. Not sure what this means. I say "sounds like you've had some douch-bag bf's in the past, that's too bad" and then I changed the subject. Awkward.

3. About an hour later, still cuddling, she says out of nowhere "I'm afraid of getting hurt". Long pause....I say semi-nonseriously "we're all afraid of getting hurt -Girl A-...." She then says, yeah, I'm just afraid of being hurt or hurting someone else..." I changed the subject again. Didn't know what to say to this.

My take: 2 major red flags.

I know she's probably dating other guy(s), but that's ok, the being hurt statement tells me she's torn between me and another guy and is hinting that I may be the odd man out.

Also, the being nice to her comment is one I've heard before from other girls, and I know it's not a good one. To me it means she doesn't know how to handle being treated with respect and what a classy guy is like, aka baggage.

I personally do not want to deal with this if these are the cases. I'd almost prefer to walk away from this, or at least put her in a situation where she has to reach to get me. She said she has friends coming to town (again) this weekend but I should call her around sunday afternoon. I'm thinking no; I will call her Tuesday, just make small talk for a while, and instead of asking her out again I'll just say "hey gotta run, catch ya later". I've initiated every date to this point, I say time to make her take a step.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by cdubs3201; 08-27-2009 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: clarify #3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,659 times
It's best not to get involved with someone who seems psychologically damaged (or pretends to be, to garner sympathy). I personally always found that very annoying. To each his own, of course.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,426,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I personally do not want to deal with this if these are the cases. I'd almost prefer to walk away from this, or at least put her in a situation where she has to reach to get me. She said she has friends coming to town (again) this weekend but I should call her around sunday afternoon. I'm thinking no; I will call her Tuesday, just make small talk for a while, and instead of asking her out again I'll just say "hey gotta run, catch ya later". I've initiated every date to this point, I say time to make her take a step.
Why do you need our opinions on this...it already sounds like you know what you need to do. If you're not feeling it with her anymore, time to move on.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Why do you need our opinions on this...it already sounds like you know what you need to do. If you're not feeling it with her anymore, time to move on.
I assume he's looking for validation from other people. Plus he might get another perspective on the situation from someone else. Nothing wrong with that

Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,164,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I assume he's looking for validation from other people. Plus he might get another perspective on the situation from someone else. Nothing wrong with that
Exactly.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Don't call her for a week. See what she does. If your phone doesn't ring or she doesn't e-mail you, then you'll have your answer.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,426,325 times
Is this the same girl you posted the other threads about?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:38 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Time to see how hungry she is...

I also went out with a couple girls who said things along the line of why are you so nice...but I had taken them out to decent dinners and the theater. They were from smaller communities and probably had not had that kind of date before. I responded that I thought they were attractive and it was an attempt to get to know them better.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,328,819 times
Quote:
Went on Date #5 with Girl A last night. Went well, basically decided not to spend money and just cuddled on her couch, watched a movie, talked, made out, and drank wine (not in that order).

Couple things popped up that bothered me.

1. She slipped about something someone "we ran into" (meaning me and her) last night, which we didn't go out last night, she was at a friends bday party. She's had like 3 friend's have bdays in the last 4 weeks. Odd. Probably means she's seeing another dude, but this actually isn't a flag for me, she's allowed to date others, and I have a date line up with Girl B this weekend.

2. We're sitting there talking and she says out of nowhere "you are such a sweetheart, why are you so nice to me?" I really didn't know how to respond, I haven't really done ANYTHING THAT NICE. I took her out on dates which we went dutch on almost all of them. I don't compliment her very often, and I don't shower her with gifts. Not sure what this means. I say "sounds like you've had some douch-bag bf's in the past, that's too bad" and then I changed the subject. Awkward.

3. About an hour later, still cuddling, she says out of nowhere "I'm afraid of getting hurt". Long pause....I say semi-nonseriously "we're all afraid of getting hurt -Girl A-...." She then says, yeah, I'm just afraid of being hurt or hurting someone else..." I changed the subject again. Didn't know what to say to this.

My take: 2 major red flags.

I know she's probably dating other guy(s), but that's ok, the being hurt statement tells me she's torn between me and another guy and is hinting that I may be the odd man out.

Also, the being nice to her comment is one I've heard before, and I know it's not a good one. To me it means she doesn't know how to handle being treated with respect and what a classy guy is like, aka baggage.

What do you guys think?

What is there to walk away from? She doesn't sound that into you...you don't sound that into her. You aren't really "dating"......sounds more like FWB.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
What do you guys think?

Sounds like a scag. I would run, unless you are into that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships