Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,658,278 times

Advertisements

Been reading around here that a short man is basically cursed with the same dating troubles as the heavy set individual. So since some feel that a heavy person is nicer and has a "better personality" because they have to try harder because of the weight and for it to be "overlooked" (or however some people have worded it) - do you feel this to hold true for the short man as well? In my experience, many short men seem to be more angry and seem to feel owed. For what, I have no clue. I see more short men with pompous attitudes than the men who are taller.

So if they are having the same dating troubles by having a more limited playing field, shouldn't they be interested in putting forth their best foot personality-wise too - and maybe more women would overlook it?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,066,138 times
They used to call them "portly" in the old days.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:18 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,284,539 times
Corner a dog and it will bare its teeth...I think feeling "less than" makes the human feel that way. I also think that perhaps back through the genes if you were a small guy and were in caveman mode...You had to scrap harder than the big guy that can take you out with ease. I really do believe that a lot of personallity is genetic. I really am not into short guys myself but dated a couple. They both had really great personallity and drive. I think they channeled that in a healthy attractive way instead of a napoleon complex.

P.s. You can always lose weight. You are not growing taller as an adult no matter how hard you try.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:18 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
In my experience, many short men seem to be more angry and seem to feel owed. For what, I have no clue. I see more short men with pompous attitudes than the men who are taller.
Yep yep yep. My experience as well. Unfortunately.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
you can do something about being fat and mean.
you cant do anything about being short.
dating is overrated.
come hang out with the winners on
CDF saturday night live.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,092,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dating is overrated.
come hang out with the winners on
CDF saturday night live.
No tonight, hon. I have a party to go to!!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,658,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Sure, it all goes back to that saying, "I can change my weight but you can't change your face."

But someone can do something about being short and mean, just the same. A man can be short and becoming.

I will not date a man under 6'0. Not only because it's more convenient to wear heels, not only because I feel enveloped and balanced physically by a taller man's size. . . but because some short men have such scrawny attitudes. Not all short men - but enough of them certainly do to take such notice.

If I were a short man, I would try to be the most handsome, sweetest, charming little devil so all the women would take interest and not notice if I were shorter than them. I mean, to be short and a pompous jerk. . that's like social suicide.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:30 PM

22,333 posts, read 19,282,796 times
everyone has something they have to "deal with" and "get over" on their way to developing poise, self-acceptance, confidence, and doing life on life's terms. Being short for a guy is just one of those things.

i have danced for years, and if a guy can dance, regardless of his height or looks, he is sought after and popular and in demand.

I remember attending a salsa competition as a spectator, not a participant. I went with a friend and we had a blast watching all the dancers perform, and then an evening of open dancing followed. My friend was just amazed by one man, who really stood out as a skilled and sought-after dancer, he was clearly enjoying life and having fun. I still remember what my friend said, "Well it just goes to show that a guy doesn't have to be tall or good looking to have the ladies going after him!" She was right.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:12 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,654,689 times
No matter who you are, tall or short, thin or heavy, you should always try to put forth your best qualities. Many shorter men either overcompensate for their height or act like victims. I'm 5'8" so I'm not considered tall and I'm sure there are women out there who would reject me for that reason alone. But I've learned not to care. There are certain things about yourself you will never be able to change. You can carry a chip on your shoulder about it, but when all is said and done, you'll still be the same height. I would say the heavy guy has one distinct advantage over the shorter man. He can change his size. And some women actually like a heavier guy. How many women do you know that actually prefer a man who's shorter?

I think too many shorter men are quick to blame their height for their lack of dating success when what's really turning off women is their attitude. A lack of confidence will show right through. It's no different than the woman with small breasts acting all insecure cause she's worried men won't find her attractive. There are a lot of short men just as there are a lot of small-breasted women who project so much confidence that others don't even notice if their short or flat-chested.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:19 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 674,279 times
I don't think it's a fair comparison. I see many short (or shorter) guys with very hot petite and average height women- and sometimes taller women.

I very rarely see fat chicks with guys who aren't also fat.

Fat guys (30% are obese- more than overweight) have more problems attracting physically desirable women (HWP or thinner) than short guys, all other factors held constant. And those factors aren't trivial- personality, face attractiveness, intelligence, age, etc.

Of course, there are degrees of fatness and shortness. 5'7" is short but not really that short; 5'3" is very noticeably short.

Older women seeking long-term relationships have problems that trump any other class of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships