Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:24 PM

809 posts, read 2,883,926 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there's been plenty of threads out there asking this question. But do you think it's feasible to have this sort of friendship???

I've read SO many things that say it ISNT possible because one way or another some sort of "feelings" crop up in one of the parties involved in the friendship.......

The reason I ask this is because I'm a female and I've ALWAYSSSSS gotten along better with guys. (I'm a big tomboy for one thing, if the screen name doesnt give it away I duno what does)....... I just don't click as well with my gender :P I find a lot of girls to be too catty or prissy or just downright annoying with the things they talk about. HELL, I dont even like to go SHOPPING (I shop online, find what I want, make sure a store has it in stock and THEN go buy it! :P I hate browsing around, trying things on, wasting time.)..............

The only type of shopping I like to do is when it involves buying something with a motor, like a car or a motorcycle :P

Anyways, I've never "fell for" any of the guys I'm friends with. I duno about THEM, but on my side it's always been a FRIENDSHIP to me.......

SO do YOU think it's possible to have friends that are the opposite sex and for it to ONLY be about having a friendship??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
I always had more guy friends than female friends when I was younger. It wasn't until decades passed that my best friend from college confessed that he always wanted more. It made me feel very bad.

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
It has been covered before.

It can happen, yes. There may be an attraction at some point, but mature adults can grow into long lasting friendships despite that. I think it is best compared to how couples sette into their relationships. The new and shiny wears off somewhat and you become comfortable with the basis of what you have.

2,782 posts, read 4,164,594 times
For a girl like you, yes. It would be like hanging out with one of the guys.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,330,045 times
I thought you were as guy (because of the Subie screen name). Anything's possible if the possibilities allow it.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
The only person I'm willing to be friends with is my significant other. I don't want or need friends of any gender other than her.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,330,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The only person I'm willing to be friends with is my significant other. I don't want or need friends of any gender other than her.

Very wise of you!

Old 09-07-2009, 03:03 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
yeah, you can have friends of the opposite sex without any feelings getting involved. my problem is, some of them i do wind up liking, but some of them I don't, it's really weird.

one of the people i hang out with most often lately is a guy that i don't feel anything for than being an awesome friend. in fact, i'm going on a trip with him and another guy at the end of the year. the only problem with that is i do sort of like the other guy, so i have to manage to put on airs for more than a week and not act like i like him because there's no way i'm anywhere on his radar, but that's another story for another thread.

p.s. i would never ever go on this trip with two other girls. one maybe, but never two. i do prefer hanging out with guys, and that's probably part of where my bad luck with them comes, because i AM like one of the guys and that's it.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM

380 posts, read 691,629 times
Yes. My closest male friends-ones I've been friends with for many years- are platonic. Do we recognize attractiveness in each other? Yes. Are any of us gay or bi-sexual? No. However, our motives have always been pure and honorable. We never established a romantic element or interest in each other, and it has remained that way throughout the years of us having boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands and wives, etc.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:24 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
I think friendship with the opposite gender assists in seeing things from the other point of view - which is very helpful in a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships