Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times

Advertisements

This question has been running circles in my head recently and while I've found some vague research on it (from the all mighty Google, where else?), I've yet to hear a good, solid opinion with a reasonable example backing it up.

So, here I am, throwing this topic out to the wolves... ahem... I mean, the wonderful minds on this forum!

In typically male-dominated environments (career ones to be specific), do you think an attractive and feminine woman would find those two qualities - attractiveness and femininity - to be a hindrance or aid to her rise up the career ladder? Would the men treat her differently from a plain looking woman?

Let's assume this woman is intelligent, competent, and professional. I'm talking about high-powered careers, not administrative jobs such as a secretary.

While I understand that the issue of whether treatment based on looks is fair/not fair, I'd really like to hear how it IS instead of how it SHOULD be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 PM

473 posts, read 1,517,286 times
I think in male=dominated environments, being simply female is a hindrance - even these days. Even with intelligence, professionaloism and experience, it still boils down to that if a woman asserts herself and plays like a man, she is still "a *****". If she is pretty, she has one more fight on her hands - she has to PROVE her intelligence AND fight off the men. Ice queen.

I've worked with some highly intelligent, beautiful women. Men extend the hand of friendship immediately, but still treat them as though their opinion doesn't matter and they haven't a clue.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:26 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
This question has been running circles in my head recently and while I've found some vague research on it (from the all mighty Google, where else?), I've yet to hear a good, solid opinion with a reasonable example backing it up.

So, here I am, throwing this topic out to the wolves... ahem... I mean, the wonderful minds on this forum!

In typically male-dominated environments (career ones to be specific), do you think an attractive and feminine woman would find those two qualities - attractiveness and femininity - to be a hindrance or aid to her rise up the career ladder? Would the men treat her differently from a plain looking woman?

Let's assume this woman is intelligent, competent, and professional. I'm talking about high-powered careers, not administrative jobs such as a secretary.

While I understand that the issue of whether treatment based on looks is fair/not fair, I'd really like to hear how it IS instead of how it SHOULD be.
Good looks are always an asset. She should use it to her utmost advantage! Ever see the movie "Baby Face" with Barbary Stanwyck? So awesome. "She used her power over men to get what life denied her," as it says in the trailer.

YouTube - Barbara Stanwyck "Baby Face" Trailer

Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Ive worked construction, drove truck and now work in a home improvement place. Its not about the male dominance, its about what pays better than waiting tables or serving cheeseburgers (which Ive done that too, in my lifetime).
Besides I kinda like when people compliment me about my 'tomboyish-ness', its a change from sitting at a desk which I could never do, as a high-energy person!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,497 times
I think it is definitely a pro. Anything ethical I can use to my advantage, I do. Not saying I'm an opportunist, but I think you should make the most with what you have.

Another pro which can be used in male-dominated environments is the fact that many men underestimate the strength and inteligence of women. This may not seem like an asset at first, but in certain situations this can come in handy.

For example, before I became a teacher I was prelaw. In my work life I am generally reserved and I don't tell very much about myself. Because of this, and because of how young I look, people generally don't think of me as very smart. They look at me as being "naive, fresh, innocent" etc.

Well ... at my last job this came in handy. There are many legal procedures that go on behind the scenes in school districts. Most teachers with no legal background don't understand the importance of these procedures. Of course, after many hours of reading through court cases, I do. My supervisor, unware of my education background, did not know this. He, along with others in the school district were breaking education laws meant to protect the kids. Knowing that my supervisor thought of me as an idiot, I used that to my advantage and began to document all their infractions. But still I never gave any hint to my intentions.

Well, towards the end of the year, me and the supervisor were getting ready for a meeting. Making small talk he started to ask me about my education background. It was then that I told him. You should have seen the look on his face! That whole year he had exposed himself and the school district because they had all thought I was some fresh faced kid, while little did they know I understood everything they were doing and was keeping records!

So, yes to answer your question I do play up the attractiveness factor when appropiate. And if someone treats me like a naive child, I just smile pretty and have a little private chuckle.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
It all depends on who is ahead of her on the corporate food chain. If the person above her is another female, her beauty could be a hinderance. If the person is a male, initially it could be an advantage, but once he realizes that none of his sordid fantasies will become reality, it could pose an obstacle. That's probably the exception rather than the rule. Overall I think it works to her advantage. It gives her a little more leverage over her female counterparts who may be homely, frumpy, or your run in the mill diesel-dyke.

I think the larger the corporation, the better her chances of getting ahead and staying ahead. Especially when there is room to transfer to other departments or branches within that company.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
From what I've seen in the military, civilian life and past experiences with famale friends. These days, I think being smarter than the guys and being professional means more advancement than a woman who is pretty and smart. I have known very gorgeous women in roles where they should be advancing and I find that some of the men in a similar position a lot of times don't take them seriously as they would a woman who maybe isn't as attractive.
I also see that some women in general get passed up over a man for the same position because even though it's unspoken, I think in todays world men in upper levels still play the boys club thing and they still feel like some women can't be in a role of authority due to family obligations, hormones, etc...

Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
From what I've seen in the military, civilian life and past experiences with famale friends. These days, I think being smarter than the guys and being professional means more advancement than a woman who is pretty and smart. I have known very gorgeous women in roles where they should be advancing and I find that some of the men in a similar position a lot of times don't take them seriously as they would a woman who maybe isn't as attractive.
I also see that some women in general get passed up over a man for the same position because even though it's unspoken, I think in todays world men in upper levels still play the boys club thing and they still feel like some women can't be in a role of authority due to family obligations, hormones, etc...
From my experience, I think looks definitely come in handy. Men are not complicated creatures. While they may perceive females as being less able intelectually, given the choice, they would rather work around an attractive female than a less attractive one. In studies done on looks, with women who have the same level of education and intelect, the one who was more attractive was judged to be the smarter more pleasant one to be around. Fair? No. Predictable? Yes.

If all a woman has is her looks, than I think she can only go so far. Especially in limiting fields such as the military which will always be male controlled. But I think a combination of sex appeal and intelect, is something that is more to a woman's advantage than her disadvantage. All this brings to mind the recent CIA operative, Valeria Plame who was in the paper a while back. Take a look at her. Certainly not average when it comes to looks. She was able to be a successful undercover operative for many years and uncover many secret plans being hatched by our adversaries. Do you think the fact that she was a gorgeous blonde had anything to do with it? I think so. Because men found her attractive she was allowed access to people and information that she otherwise would not have had access to. Even the fact that many men probably found her lacking intelectualy because of the beautiful blonde stereotype I'm sure played to her advantage.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:11 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
From my experience, I think looks definitely come in handy. Men are not complicated creatures. While they may perceive females as being less able intelectually, given the choice, they would rather work around an attractive female than a less attractive one. In studies done on looks, with women who have the same level of education and intelect, the one who was more attractive was judged to be the smarter more pleasant one to be around. Fair? No. Predictable? Yes.

If all a woman has is her looks, than I think she can only go so far. Especially in limiting fields such as the military which will always be male controlled. But I think a combination of sex appeal and intelect, is something that is more to a woman's advantage than her disadvantage. All this brings to mind the recent CIA operative, Valeria Plame who was in the paper a while back. Take a look at her. Certainly not average when it comes to looks. She was able to be a successful undercover operative for many years and uncover many secret plans being hatched by our adversaries. Do you think the fact that she was a gorgeous blonde had anything to do with it? I think so. Because men found her attractive she was allowed access to people and information that she otherwise would not have had access to. Even the fact that many men probably found her lacking intelectualy because of the beautiful blonde stereotype I'm sure played to her advantage.
Well, I'll say this about that. I'm not opposed to a woman (or man for that matter) using his looks to advance. I think if you are motivated and maybe lacking a little in the intelligence department but really good looking - you should use that.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Well, I'll say this about that. I'm not opposed to a woman (or man for that matter) using his looks to advance. I think if you are motivated and maybe lacking a little in the intelligence department but really good looking - you should use that.
I'm a realist, not a blind idealist. Idealism only gets you so far and then you have to face reality. Reality is cold I know, can be a bit nippy at times. But to assert that using looks implies low intelect is disingenuous. In fact I would assert that not using what you have to your advantage is not only not smart, but also painfully naive! Naivety stops being cute after high school. Play it up while you can, but you'll get no points for it in the real world.

If a man wants to give a woman favorable treatment because of her looks, why should she stop him? As long as she is not compromising herself, I don't see the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships