Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Do you have a specific 'sense' of humour? I.e. do you find particular types of humour really funny, and others not so much? Are there any jokes that really crack you up but leave others cold or vice versa?

Personally, I find most types of humour funny, yet I notice when watching certain shows like Family Guy or some of those Brit comedies, I'll be in stitches but others will have a blank look on their faces (I know a few like that). Whereas they'll find Mr. Bean type stuff hilarious and I find that stuff pretty boring and just silly most of the time (I CAN laugh at it, though). I also find jokes that are too 'obvious' or formulaic unfunny as well. Like the overuse of irony in the Simpsons. For example, Homer saying he loves animals while eating a steak or something like that. Yet I find some types of 'toilet' humour funny, but only if it's an actual joke, not just fart noises for no reason. A fart noise incorporated into an actual joke, however, is pretty hilarious.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 05:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
My favourite kind of humour is social /political satire and absurd. I do not get farcical humour at all in general and do not find scatological/sexual humour at all. I simply do not find it funny in the slightest.

I love Mr Bean because I think like Jacques Tati before him Rowan Atkinson is a master of physical comedy and the utterly absurd.

My favourite comedy shows are "Yes Minister/Prime Minister" , "The two Johns" and "Third Rock from the Sun" and I also love "Due South" because a lot of the humour is about words and deadpan delivery.

I hate cruelty in humour unless it is about public personalities such as Politicians and is not personal in Nature. Making fun of someone because of their looks simply does not make me laugh at all. Attack someone's personality and policies by all means but making fun of their families or the fact they have a lisp and I completely switch off.

I basically like humour which has a social element mostly ,politically angry comedians really do make me laugh, like Marcus Brigstocke or Mark Steele two excellent English comedians and I also love Bill Bailey, Eddie Izzard, Rhod Gilbert and some of Phil Jupitus.

I also love humour like the movie "Best in show", it makes me crack up with laughter. I don't actually like most British comedy shows. Too much of it is farcical and simply nasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWDdcD-1xoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BiQG...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnDS...eature=related

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 12-10-2010 at 05:21 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,016 times
i have found there is a real disconnect between british and american humor, and being an anglophile from about since birth i find it really bothersome when i don't "get" alot of british humor. and sometimes even things i wind up being totally obsessed with, like "The Mighty Boosh", i don't quite absorb until i am forced to watch it multiple times (thank you, ex boyfriend!).

i really, really disliked Chris Morris's brand of humor- "the brass eye" etc.- it sounded totally hilarious on paper (especially the pedophile episode wherein there was a guy who was disguising himself as a SCHOOL) but then i watched it and really hated it. however, i found "nighty night" to be freaking hilarious. but there is nothing, and i mean nothing, i love more than the Boosh. most of my friends don't get it. my sister is expecting some Tenacious-D type humor and really doesn't enjoy them. (BTW i love the D.)

and i hope i don't carry this thread too far afield, but what is with british humor shows having really, really horrible theme music? "AbFab" had a really "not right" theme song, "nighty night" had this weirdly inappropriate music- it seems like brit comedies really fall short in that category. ok, diversion ended....

i used to make people watch "this is spinal tap" when i was a child and if they didn't get it i wouldn't hang out with them. true story.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:31 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,647,600 times
I totally get British humor but my Mother WAS a Brit, I had 14 years of her very hilarious sense of humor to learn from... I love humor though generally speaking, usually all of it. I find humor in almost everything but that's also mostly my personality. I joke around a lot, I find that I can easily make others laugh too. I don't know that I personally have a certain "type" of humor but I definitely "get" a lot of different types.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I totally get British humor but my Mother WAS a Brit, I had 14 years of her very hilarious sense of humor to learn from... I love humor though generally speaking, usually all of it. I find humor in almost everything but that's also mostly my personality. I joke around a lot, I find that I can easily make others laugh too. I don't know that I personally have a certain "type" of humor but I definitely "get" a lot of different types.
do you think that british humor tends to be a bit darker? it seems that way- much more. the brits, god bless em, tend to take it far, far farther (further?) than us yanks. except i think we curse alot more, and mostly needlessly. ever watch eddie murphy lately? his old stuff is just- well, old.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
do you think that british humor tends to be a bit darker? it seems that way- much more. the brits, god bless em, tend to take it far, far farther (further?) than us yanks. except i think we curse alot more, and mostly needlessly. ever watch eddie murphy lately? his old stuff is just- well, old.
Too much American-brand humor relies on cursing and low subjects; doesn't matter if it's stand-up or movies - it's a turn-off for me. Ever since Lenny Bruce broke open the flood gates we've been subjected to more and more toilet mouths. I don't see it as entertaining - I see it as low intelligence. To me, the popularity of vehicles such as Jackass just illustrate how low the IQ of the average American can be. Yes, I might chuckle at one or two things, but overall it leaves me feeling in need of a long, hot bath.

"Old-School" humor is my special love - The Honeymooners, Abbott and Costello and Laurel and Hardy are prime examples. A nice mix of physical and verbal styling. The Three Stooges for purely physical; George Carlin for cerebral (although his language wanders off into the profane a bit much). Robin Williams for stream-of-consciousness stuff.

British humor? I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Monty Python / Are You Being Served / Fawlty Towers addict. Mr. Bean I just can't seem to "get".

My own brand of humor is a mixture of all of the above, plus far too many years of cartoon-watching as a wee tot. I even do a lot of the voices! When you have a problem remembering your telephone number but can quote entire episodes of Bugs Bunny or The Honeymooners you KNOW you have some serious problems!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,647,600 times
Quote:
Definitely, they are just maybe a little more open minded and "no topic is off topic" kind of mindset... My mother was that way.. nothing was off limits.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
My sense of humour, well I have a pretty dark side to it. I find it funny when bad stuff happens to people who deserve it, to see the thing's I'd find funny look at www.failblog.org.

I am not at all impressed by stand up comedians, I just find them all boring, it isn't my type of humour. I very much enjoy Tony Hancock and his Hancock's half hour series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBwqD1mTKK4

Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
sometimes even things i wind up being totally obsessed with, like "The Mighty Boosh", i don't quite absorb until i am forced to watch it multiple times (thank you, ex boyfriend!).
Mighty Boosh is one of my favorite shows ever. I don't like embarrassing cringe humor, or crude scatological or sexual humor or slapstick. I like witty, clever, dry funny things.

This is a good question, because when people are looking for compatible mates (or even friends) "good sense of humor" is always on the list. Okay, but what *kind* of humor. I may meet a dude who believes he's got a great sense of humor, but if he loves Two and a Half Men and fart jokes, we're probably not going to be laughing much together.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Nighthouse66 made me laugh cause as I was reading his post I was using a british accent in my head and I kept laughing.

Anyhooo.. I like the quick wit. Faces and guestures.

The political jokes I don't get into. The jokes with people's names in them go over my head especially if I don't know who they are talking about. It's not the same when the person next to me has to explain..."that's the guy that plays on this movie." "Ohh...that's funny."

I was playing cards with a group of friends and this guy was taking too long to play. My other friend looks up and cries out, "Oh kill me with cancer!" Took me a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships