Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM

48 posts, read 176,030 times

Advertisements

By no means am I trying to seem as if Im better (and I myself have to deal with money issues occasionally) but it just seems like all the guys I meet for dates online are always broke.

It just seems, they never have money to take me out anywhere...or even when I offer to just do something simple like a $1 movie, they cite being broke. In my case, I don't even log onto my dating profile if I dont have gas or money that day.

Its just like, is this what the internet attracts? Older men with money and younger broke men? It just seems my past few dates have been with guys like this and its just making me wonder whether its a bi-product of online dating, the lingering economy, the city Im at, or just a day in the life of a early/mid 20's something dating scenario.

Either way, its becoming a drain. Its hard to enjoy a real dating relationship when its not equal footing. Its like the Billy Preston song....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,857,762 times
Things have been rough for young men since the late 1970s. The type of jobs they traditionally took, dried up and even those who were prepared for other careers found the entrance of so many females into these fields, severely limited their chances to get hired and promoted.

Meanwhile this had the effect of driving down wages for men. If they were realistic, they would just say "I can't afford to date until I get my financial house in order." Instead, many attempt to rely on bravado! Eventually, they get caught and its a "problem" of so many being liars, players and cheats. Sad really.

This probably has got much worse in the past 3 years.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 AM

525 posts, read 948,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationwideService View Post
By no means am I trying to seem as if Im better (and I myself have to deal with money issues occasionally) but it just seems like all the guys I meet for dates online are always broke.

It just seems, they never have money to take me out anywhere...or even when I offer to just do something simple like a $1 movie, they cite being broke. In my case, I don't even log onto my dating profile if I dont have gas or money that day.

Its just like, is this what the internet attracts? Older men with money and younger broke men? It just seems my past few dates have been with guys like this and its just making me wonder whether its a bi-product of online dating, the lingering economy, the city Im at, or just a day in the life of a early/mid 20's something dating scenario.

Either way, its becoming a drain. Its hard to enjoy a real dating relationship when its not equal footing. Its like the Billy Preston song....

Next time a guy says he's broke when you say let's do a dollar movie-- tell him you'll pay the dollar.

(ps. if you have days when you don't have gas or money, you should really be focusing on your income.. ) good luck

Old 07-19-2010, 12:47 AM

245 posts, read 586,121 times
Quote:

OP...don't you think that if you keep meeting broke men....that you and your choices are the issue..and not the men?

Are you choosing these men by their looks?
Or their cars?
Or the words in their profiles?

One or two phone calls should be able to tell you whether or not this guys has a pot AND a window.
If he does NOT and you STILL choose to date him...how can you complain about the results?

Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:

It seems to me that your NOT really attracting these young men at all. If they are turning down YOUR offers of dates, it's because they aren't into you enough to want to go out with you in person.

Perhaps you are being too eager to go out on dates with these online guys. Maybe you need to play harder to get and wait for them to do the asking out. You are coming across as too desperate for their company and it's putting them off.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,939 times
I heard something about the economy being bad.....

Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
im not sure but i think it has to do with inability to focus enough to learn a trade and get a job but fantastic ability to rush blood to the lower extremities at a moments notice.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
There is a reason why many men in their early to mid 20's range(my age range) are often broke.
1)My case(and the cases of some others) is lack of jobs or decent paying jobs. I don't have a car. I just have rent, utilities, and food. No room for dating.
2) The people who seem to have good jobs spend alot of their money paying their car insurance, cell phone bill, car note, gas for the car, rent, utilities, food, etc.

Lack of jobs for many, and alot bills for those who have decent jobs. That is what I can think of.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,408,647 times
How old are you?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:01 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,559 times
Well, considering that anyone who is younger than 23 should still be in college, I can see guys that age being broke. Up until I was 26 I was ALWAYS broke and, in my early 20s, I only worked three hours a day as a teacher's assistant while I was in school and all that money went to my cousin who was renting me a room in her house.

Dating was never about doing something that I had to pay for so much as just hanging out together outdoors or staying in for some bedroom gymnastics. I guess I was lucky that I went out with girls who understood what being a "starving student" meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships