Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:41 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times

Advertisements

If so, how do you cope with life at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 03:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I work out of the house, so I'm about as close as it gets.

I get the kids to school, pick them up, and make sure they do their homework. I cook dinner and get them to violin and soccer practice.

I do about 1-2 hours of cleaning a day. That's all it takes. The rest of my time is spent on my clients.

If you're a SAHM and the kids are in school, you're not kidding anybody. It's the easiest gig on the planet.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I get the kids to school, pick them up, and make sure they do their homework. I cook dinner and get them to violin and soccer practice.

I do about 1-2 hours of cleaning a day. That's all it takes. The rest of my time is spent on my clients.

If you're a SAHM and the kids are in school, you're not kidding anybody. It's the easiest gig on the planet.
Kept man

Old 09-26-2009, 04:34 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
Quote:

i think it's great, but i tend to think that wives dont expect as much from their SAHD as the opposite.
who does the shopping, laundry, and all the other stuff? how thorough is your cleaning? does your wife do a scrub down of the house on her day off?
maybe your wife is just being thankful that you are keeping the house presentable, since you are also WORKING from home.
i am betting a woman not gaining an income and who is a SAHM doesnt think its the "easiest gig"....

Old 09-26-2009, 04:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i think it's great, but i tend to think that wives dont expect as much from their SAHD as the opposite.
who does the shopping, laundry, and all the other stuff? how thorough is your cleaning? does your wife do a scrub down of the house on her day off?
maybe your wife is just being thankful that you are keeping the house presentable, since you are also WORKING from home.
i am betting a woman not gaining an income and who is a SAHM doesnt think its the "easiest gig"....
I do the grocery shopping, and I do a pretty good job of cleaning the house. Every room in the house is vacuumed every third day. Now would it pass a white glove inspection? Nope, but my wife doesn't spend her off days cleaning.

It really is pretty darned easy. I mean, come on. SAHM moms who drop their kids off at school at 8 a.m. can pretty much get it done by 10:30-11:00. My wife, who was a SAHM for several years, says as much. She just couldn't take staying at home anymore. She was bored out of her cotton-picking mind.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 PM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
wife and i got 3 kids,love them to death,but there is no amount of money on Gods green earth that would make me stay at home full time

Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 15,645 times
First, I hate the term "househusband."

Maybe, I just suck but I have not found it easy to take care of the house, the kids and try to make a little extra money on the side. Maybe it is because my kids are school age and we have so many pets. I pretty much work all day and sill can't keep up with all of it.

Can't wait for kids to be school age to start looking for a job and get out.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:05 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStay-At-Home-Dad View Post
First, I hate the term "househusband."

Maybe, I just suck but I have not found it easy to take care of the house, the kids and try to make a little extra money on the side. Maybe it is because my kids are school age and we have so many pets. I pretty much work all day and sill can't keep up with all of it.

Can't wait for kids to be school age to start looking for a job and get out.
How old are the kids and how many? Do you have a routine that you follow or do you just take care of what needs attention at that moment?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:46 PM

331 posts, read 603,517 times
[quote=cpg35223;10933810]I work out of the house, so I'm about as close as it gets.

If you're a SAHM and the kids are in school, you're not kidding anybody. It's the easiest gig on the planet.[/quote]

^^^Maybe you & your wife think so. I was a SAHM for almost 3 years, had one child in school and two youngins at home...they always kept me busy. We had cleaning, shopping, school functions, cooking, laundry, appointments, 2 dogs, fish tank and a cat, and then the oldest would get home from school and it's snacks, homework, preparing for following day, etc.. Rest assured, it was no walk in the park! We had days when we just left things untouched, just to enjoy a walk or something fun. I wondered many times how our home would function when I started working again or if it would just fall apart...it didn't completely fall apart, but there are hectic weekends of playing catch up at times.
Saying that it is "the easiest gig" is crazy Its a lot of work and very little(if any) you time away from home or thie kids....Luckily the bonding time with the kids and time invested is very well worth every minute!!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:23 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
I do the grocery shopping, and I do a pretty good job of cleaning the house. Every room in the house is vacuumed every third day. Now would it pass a white glove inspection? Nope, but my wife doesn't spend her off days cleaning.

It really is pretty darned easy. I mean, come on. SAHM moms who drop their kids off at school at 8 a.m. can pretty much get it done by 10:30-11:00. My wife, who was a SAHM for several years, says as much. She just couldn't take staying at home anymore. She was bored out of her cotton-picking mind.
I would agree with this in part. My kids are all in school and I stay home.
My chores are done pretty quicky being that I keep up with it. I do vacuum everyday but we have a dog and 2 cats and I cannot STAND animal hair at all.

When they are in school, I get my chores done, do some volunteer work and start dinner. When they come home we have a snack and taxi services start. They all (4 kids) play sports..my daughter is the only one that plays "recreation sports"...everyone else plays travel sports. Some of their practice locations can be up to 45 minutes away, regular season games 3+ hours. Weekends are spent travelling most of the times. I don't mind it, but it's not always easy to juggle all those schedules and some days the unexpected happens and you just have to fly by the seat of your pants.

Honestly, working out of the home and having a maid to clean this place was a hell of a lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships