Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times

Advertisements

Have you ever met someone who has caused you to change the way you think? Or has caused you to question what you believe to be right for you?

I have a guy friend who swore he would never get married or have kids, but when he met his lady love that all changed. He can't wait to be a father, etc. It really threw me because i've known him forever and he was pretty adamant about just co-habitating (as opposed to marriage).

Does love change the brain? Is it healthy for someone to have that much sway in your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:09 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I have a guy friend who swore he would never get married or have kids, but when he met his lady love that all changed. He can't wait to be a father, etc. It really threw me because i've known him forever and he was pretty adamant about just co-habitating (as opposed to marriage).
This is why, when we have some threads here from men who swear to "never have kids, kick their wife out if she gains weight, never marry to start with as women are gold-diggers anyways" ---- I can't help but think, "They haven't really fallen in love yet."

Old 10-10-2009, 07:11 PM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:
Have you ever met someone who has caused you to change the way you think? Or has caused you to question what you believe to be right for you?

Does love change the brain? Is it healthy for someone to have that much sway in your life?
Priorities change when you love someone. I think that's completely normal, and I'd question anyone that did not experience such a change. It doesn't mean you become a different person, but it does mean that you have something in your life now that is more important to you than some other things that you thought were written in stone. It happens to us all.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:13 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
I think we have all said things that we swore we would never do, but such as life. We meet the right person, and grow up, and we can just hope that the decisions we make are the right ones. Change is not always a bad thing.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Quote:
A very wise person once told me, "We have no friends or enemies - only teachers".

Quote:
Does love change the brain?
If you mean, do the increased levels of dopamine alter your perceptions of reality, yes.

Quote:
Is it healthy for someone to have that much sway in your life?
No.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I think we have all said things that we swore we would never do, but such as life. We meet the right person, and grow up, and we can just hope that the decisions we make are the right ones. Change is not always a bad thing.
I don't think it's so much about growing up as it is just about seeing life in a different light.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

If you mean, do the increased levels of dopamine alter your perceptions of reality, yes.
I don't know what you mean. I don't think of wanting marriage and kids as "perceptions of reality."

Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
Quote:
I don't think it's so much about growing up as it is just about seeing life in a different light.
Well, yeah...that is true to, but a person sometimes needs to grow up first, in order to see life, in a diffrent light.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:42 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,724 times
When I was young, I met someone I was infatuated with, anything he said, I believed, and internalized. I did not do drugs, and worked hard at school. Because of him, I started doing drugs, dropped out of school, completely changed my values and personality. Fortunately, I got away from him, but not until I had almost completely screwed up my life. He eventually went to jail, several times over, and I just shake my head, wondering what the heck I was thinking, and thank goodness I dodged a bullet from getting more involved with him.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:46 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,808,929 times
Hulu - Saturday Night Live: First CityWide Change Bank 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships