Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:10 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
There is an explanation for this on the psychic level, in the book "The Celestine Prophecy". Its a weekend read, very small book.
Someone recommended that book to me and I got it, but my dogs ripped it to shreds somewhere around chapter 2 so I need to get another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 08:04 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,131,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What is it about how sometimes, not very often, how you just don't like someone. For no real reason. I'm a pretty mellow guy, easy to get along with.

Is it some kind of psychic type of thing, something subliminal, subconscious. I saw this guy today at the grocery store and he just didn't seem right to me. He looked untrustworthy, maybe even dangerous.

Not fair, cause maybe he is just some average Joe and I'm assigning nefarious traits to the poor guy.
Some people irk us for no reason; we can't understand why but they do. It's not intentional such as them giving us a reason to dislike them. While our instincts are usually right about people, at the same time they could be wrong. It's been said that you can read a person within 5 minutes of first meeting them. I never know who could enrich my life so I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,337,520 times
I know that feeling! Sometimes you can be wrong, but sometimes you are right....
Here's an example:
A few years ago, when I met hubby, he introduced me to some of his friends, and from day one, I couldn't stand one of his friends' girlfriend, and couldn't say why, there was just something about her that wasn't right. I kept telling hubby "V. can't be trusted, nothing sounds right when she speaks" etc, plus I was sure she despised me, but hubby kept telling me I was entirely wrong, that he had known her for years and that she was nice.
He was so sure she was Ok that he didn't change his mind when she organized a huge party fir her birthday and I wasn't even invited.
When she dumped her BF to get with a married man, after her BF left his job and luxurious apartment near Paris to come and live with her and her kids from a previous marriage at the other end of the country, I knew I had been right all this time. And hubby acknowledged she wasn't as nice as she seemed...

Old 10-11-2009, 03:25 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,310,361 times
This has happened to me before, but I can also spot someone I know I'd like too. It only takes a couple of words sometimes and you just get a good feeling about them.

There has only been 2 times in my life where my negative instincts about someone kicked in from the get-go. Once was on a double date and the other guy was my dates coworker. We fought and bickered all night, which was COMPLETELY unlike me in a social situation. Everyone that came in contact with us that evening could tell we didn't like each other and I was trying to be nice and I could tell he was trying too...but no go. Oh well. The other time was at work when a new salesman started working there. Everyone loved him, he told great stories and people literally were lining up to be his friend. I got a bad vibe and felt he was a braggart so I just stayed away. I never said or did anything, I just didn't FAWN over him like the other guys and gals in the office. Later on he got into some kind of trouble with management because someone had reported him for sexual harassment or something. I had no idea any of this was going on and only found out later that everyone thought it was ME. It wasn't. Haha, kind of shows how oblivious I was to office drama since I didn't even find out about it all until a year or so later after he was long gone.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:40 PM

966 posts, read 2,450,271 times
Much of the time it is our intuition at work. Sadly, when we get the person wrong or if the person triggers a fear of ours, it is a matter of projection. I trust my gut for the most part, but especially now that I live in a city where I am sometimes suspected just because I am different, I stop and question my reactions. I don't want to be like the people who profile me or mistake me as a potential criminal in certain stores, cafes, restaurants, etc.

Last edited by Nala8; 10-11-2009 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,463,296 times
The other day I was watching that show "48 hour mystery" or whatever its called. They were putting a woman that had been robbed while she was a manager at a bank. Immediately, I knew she had been involved in the robbery. Just her face didn't go with the attitude a real victim would take. I could tell she was a con.

Another time is when they put a commercial from a local grocery store, they put a woman saying "H-E-B has the lowest prices, blah, blah, blah..." I knew that she was a thief. I just don't know why they hired her. She is a bad spokesperson if everyone can sense she is a criminal. Or maybe I was the only one that could sense this.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,014,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Someone recommended that book to me and I got it, but my dogs ripped it to shreds somewhere around chapter 2 so I need to get another one.
Trust your dog's instincts. i did not enjoy that book at all.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:58 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,463,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
I haven't read the book but I thought that maybe your dog was following his instincts too. Or maybe your dog senses that you will be able to read his mind and then you will really know who broke the vase last time you went out.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,340,575 times
We've all met somebody who either emits a vibe that says "this guy/girl is a jerk/b*tch" or "danger! avoid."

I'm not a good judge of character. My siblings and parents are far better at it than me. Yet, I can also say that with age and experience, I'm learning to read people better. The eyes say a lot... and the "aura" (fyi, I don't believe in New Age or what not).

When I say "aura," it's the "something" about their facial expression, the kind of vibe they emit. It's very easy to sense when a girl is truly, genuinely warm and sweet and when a girl is a b*tch.

Gotta watch out for the sneaky ones who seem nice but are megab*tches.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:49 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,649,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
It just shows a dog's selfless nature, that he would sacrifice himself that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships