Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times

Advertisements

Its illegal in the US to be married to more then one person...however that does not stop people from living together has if they were legally married...

It is still going on in Utah although the LDS church does not advocate it, there are splinter groups who still practice this...its coupled with girls as young as 13 and 14 being married off to older men they don't even know, with little or NO warning...

In my opinion, polygamy is based in a misogynist culture and women who participate have been brainwashed into living this way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 08:06 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Do you believe in Polygamy? Yes, or No, and why........

I believe in Polygamy, but do not practice it because my wife does not agree with it. My reasons are that if a man has more than one wife, he has some variety and does not feel the urge to seek other women outside of his marriage. As well, the normal duties of a wife are shared, giving less of a burden on one wife. The income level of the household is increased significantly if for instance the Husband works, and he has two Wives working.
No, and I say this warmly, We are not a pride of Lions we are human beings....and I also believe that people can make one mistake and cheat on their spouse, and never make that mistake again...

also, if it is not in you to crave other women, you don't and won't...but if it is...then regardless of how many wives you possess, you will always desire to roam?

But that's just me.

creme

Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,806 times
I find the idea repulsive. I don't mean to upset anyone with that comment. It may work for some but I can't see how.
But atm I want to give myself entirely to my husband and he is struggling to keep up. I want to be with him every day all day (if he didn't work) but he is not as keen. I would be very upset if he had another wife to share with. I would be even more frustrated.
I don't share. That is why we married as virgins.
I am LDS btw and believe the polygamy may have a purpose where there are women who are in need of support etc. But very few men are up to the challenge imo.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:46 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
I don't think polygamy is a good practice. Every woman deserves to be the queen of her own castle and to be the single object of her husband's affection. What about children...it will be hard to explain daddy has two wives because he needs variety. U want to short change two or mor women and children for selfish reasons. This cannot be a good thing. Plus what will u do when they leave u? Most men have trouble meeting the demands of one marriage...u r sure to come up short somewhere along the line.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
it only really seems to work well on a large scale if you live in a place where there is a constant state of warfare. otherwise, you have alot of guys growing up with no woman for them

doesnt make for a happy/safe community!

having said that, i still want 2 or 3 women for myself. that way, when one feels like yelling at me i can go off with one of the others!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 AM

558 posts, read 2,249,139 times
Just noticed this thread...can't resist a quick note:

We lived out West for many years, and for several years lived in a house on a nice, typical family street. Across from us were 2 separate houses, different styles, but painted to match. They were occupied by a polygamist family--1 H, and 6 wives, 3 in each house, and LOTS of kids--I can't remember how many. They were very quiet and kept very much to themselves. My daughter became close friends with one of the boys when they were both about 7 years old. They were in the same class at school. The man, wives, and children all dressed in "plain" style--no make-up, hair braided, etc.--looked pretty much like Amish.

We eventually moved to a different neighborhood, but my daughter and the boy stayed close all through high school. Turns out he is gay. As he grew up, we learned more and more about his life behind those closed doors. So sad, I cannot possibly convey it here. Little of the sadness had to do with his being gay--his sibs were equally affected by their parents' lifestyle. He shared how difficult it was being shunned in school - and watching the same happen to his sibs. His mother was miserable his whole life, and took many medications for depression, anxiety, etc. He begged her to leave, but she felt helpless to do so. We tried to be there for him, and to comfort him as much as we could. He finally left the state, and is no longer in contact with his family - and only occasionally with my daughter.

I have never watched the HBO show about polygamy because the whole subject, to me, is just too sad and I feel anguish for the children who have no choice but to be part of it.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:45 AM

104 posts, read 365,908 times
That is sad.
So the cycle of our immorals continues.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:33 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Do you believe in Polygamy? Yes, or No, and why........
No, because I think it's sick. I would never share a man with another woman...ever...ever. I think it's disgustingly sexist.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
Hey it works for Hef why not me!

Seriously, this coming from a guy, why would any woman with an inkling of self-respect be interested in this?
That's what I'm wondering. I feel sorry for any woman married to a man who thinks that way.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:42 AM

558 posts, read 2,249,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
Seriously, this coming from a guy, why would any woman with an inkling of self-respect be interested in this?
They are suseptible for two reasons:

1. they were raised this way and haven't yet challenged the concept.
2. they have extremely low self-esteem and are vulnerable targets for men who know what they need to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships