Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 02:37 PM

47 posts, read 39,254 times

Advertisements

Has anyone joined a singles group? Whether it's in your local area or otherwise. I am curious as to how they work and if anyone has had any luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 02:42 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
No, they advertise like mad around here for people. I'm not going to join up to one, it's my fault that I don't have the guts to walk up to a gal and talk to her.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:45 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
Default My experience with match.com

I did match.com for 6 months (the Dr. Phil backed 6 mo gaurantee) at the end of the six months if you haven't met your ideal match they will give you six more months for free , I passed on my free six months.
I met a lot of people looking for sex, and a lot of weirdos. I think the majority of the men I met were just contacting me based on my looks. Everytime I did end up meeting with someone, it was disappointing. So after a while, I became a bit jaded. I don't know what I was thinking by joining, just lonely and desperate, at the time, I guess.
The one nice guy I did meet, was 8 yrs my junior and didn't have a lot of life experience, but he was really nice, just not someone I could see myself dating or being married to. I know there are good men out there but were do you find them ?! Not on match !

Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
I did match.com for 6 months (the Dr. Phil backed 6 mo gaurantee) at the end of the six months if you haven't met your ideal match they will give you six more months for free , I passed on my free six months.
I met a lot of people looking for sex, and a lot of weirdos. I think the majority of the men I met were just contacting me based on my looks. Everytime I did end up meeting with someone, it was disappointing. So after a while, I became a bit jaded. I don't know what I was thinking by joining, just lonely and desperate, at the time, I guess.
The one nice guy I did meet, was 8 yrs my junior and didn't have a lot of life experience, but he was really nice, just not someone I could see myself dating or being married to. I know there are good men out there but were do you find them ?! Not on match !
I'd like to say I give you props for at least trying, it's kind of embarrasing to join a dating site, but once you get over it you don't feel as weird about it.

Secondly, I think you probably could've found someone really good for yourself, but you didn't do a good job of qualifying. Now what I mean by qualifying is to profile the person you are in contact with early on in the communication process. It's really good to keep an open mind, but there should be some things in your mind that you know are dealbreakers, or wouldn't be a good fit based on your past experiences dating.

I know you didn't do this because you met up with a guy 8 years younger. If you know you wouldn't date him simply because of the 8 year difference, and it's safe to assume he won't have as much life experience, then why are you wasting his time and yours?

You also didn't profile well enough because you only met men looking for sex. There are a lot of weirdos out there, but there's a lot of really great guys out there too, and they aren't as forthcoming all the time as the d-bags. Profile pictures and their words on their profile aren't even half of what they're about, and my experience people don't always look like their pictures. A lot look worse, but I know I've met a lot of women where their pics didn't do their looks justice. You should be more open minded and try dating a different type of guy. The d-bags you've been dating obviously aren't working.

Match.com is a great resource for dating. I'd recommend it to anyone. I did to my roommate, he's got a great gf now.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM

49 posts, read 84,302 times
There isn't any single groups where I am! Southern Ohio.. I'm on match.com, and I havent met one single person! I try finding woman on there, then going to myspace to talk to them so I don't have to pay! The 2 girls around my age I did find.. We sent 2-3 emails, and in the emails she said she was scared of dating online/meeting people from dating websites.. I don't understand that logic! Hello! You signed up, and your single, and apparently wanting to date, but don't have the guts?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:07 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Not yet, not ever!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Hahaha, I accidently went to a singles mingle in my area once. I was attending a local "meet-up" for a holiday get together last year and it was supposed to be for ladies over the age of 40, but the organizer was also in charge of a singles group for folks over the age of 40 and decided it would be fun to combine them. Well I was kind of surprised to see so many men there but I started talking to them anyway. Some were nice, some were not....I suspect they took my chatting to them as a sign that I wanted to hook up and I wasn't their type or whatever so they gave me the brush off. Or they were just socially awkward men who were single for a reason, I don't know. But I was married and just looking for a night out with the ladies!! It was eye opening, and a bit depressing since I am about to become single and don't really want to be part of that kind of singles scene.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Two of my friends met their spouses on Match.com. They had to be patient and they met quite a few interesting characters before they found true love, but it was definitely worth it. One has been happily married for ten years now and the other one is a newlywed.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtpolly View Post
Has anyone joined a singles group? Whether it's in your local area or otherwise. I am curious as to how they work and if anyone has had any luck.
I joined one in the last city I lived in. I liked it and it wasn't about "hooking up".. I really need to find one in the area I live now.

There are MANY singles groups - for singles that aren't "dating"/hook up groups. Many are for singles that want to go to concerts with others, out hiking/camping/etc.. with others... generally people meet someone with the same interest, hook up and get married. I had a friend that met his wife that way..

1.) you can go do things without the "I have noone to go with" excuse - friends or "lovers".
2.) the social interaction is all about being social and not about "they aren't my type' and get the brush off
3.) you can have lots of fun at discounted prices... sky diving, drinks, clubs, movies, etc...
4.) if the club organizer hasn't organized something you would like to do - throw it out to the group and you'll get bites... someone always knows someone that's single

i really need to do that again - just need to make it a higher priority.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
No...but I like to try that speed dating thing. When the bell rings ya switch...ding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships