Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

I'll never understand why people rush into marriage. If he/she is the right person, then you'll always be together. It's almost as if people get married cause they're worried the other person will leave and putting a ring on their finger is a way to keep them from leaving. Obviously, that doesn't guarantee anything. And putting deadlines on yourself is rather silly. I don't care if I've been dating someone for a year. I won't use that as a reason to get married. When it's right, it's right and you don't need deadlines to get you to do what you know is the right decision. And I really can't stand these people who give their partners "propose to me or else" ultimatums. Congratulations. You just extracted a proposal. I knew a guy who'd been dating his GF for 7 years. They bought a house together and it was pretty obvious they would stay together. They were over 30 and weren't looking to start a family anytime soon. They finally married, but it wasn't because of pressure from family or friends. They did cause it just felt like the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 AM

865 posts, read 2,432,258 times
Maybe you can suggest a long engagement? That way, some of these issues may pop up, before they walk down the aisle.

Sounds like he's really excited about finally having someone in his life, and is willing to make a what will probably be bad decision just b/c he's getting some.

Don't abandon your friendship over his poor decisions. Let him do what he needs to do, and be there for him, as a good friend, when the pieces fall.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Fools rush in where wise men never go, but wise men never fall in love.

As much as you care for your best friend, it is not for you to say their marriage is doomed. Sometimes the heart knows and 'setting some imaginary timeline' to date does not guarantee a long term relationship.

Neither does having someone fit a laundry list of 'who I want to marry.'

Just because a person is an atheist does not make them bad, either. Some of the nicest people I met were atheists. Maybe your friend is just becoming more open-minded.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
As much as you care for your best friend, it is not for you to say their marriage is doomed.
Surely there's some point, though, that it is fair to make that judgement call.

I don't know the people involved, but some people habitually put themselves in bad situations.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I'll never understand why people rush into marriage. If he/she is the right person, then you'll always be together. It's almost as if people get married cause they're worried the other person will leave and putting a ring on their finger is a way to keep them from leaving. Obviously, that doesn't guarantee anything. And putting deadlines on yourself is rather silly. I don't care if I've been dating someone for a year. I won't use that as a reason to get married. When it's right, it's right and you don't need deadlines to get you to do what you know is the right decision. And I really can't stand these people who give their partners "propose to me or else" ultimatums. Congratulations. You just extracted a proposal. I knew a guy who'd been dating his GF for 7 years. They bought a house together and it was pretty obvious they would stay together. They were over 30 and weren't looking to start a family anytime soon. They finally married, but it wasn't because of pressure from family or friends. They did cause it just felt like the right thing to do.
I agree, and along with that, I would also say just because things are going great enough that you think you're ready to take the plunge doesn't mean that you really should be together. Anyone can get along great the first while they start dating, but once you see the other side of them and go through trials is when you really see if you can be with them long-term. These two people have never experienced anything but perfection since being together. How do they know their relationship will last once it's tested? These are things people need to figure out before they jump into a life-changing bond.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
Maybe you can suggest a long engagement? That way, some of these issues may pop up, before they walk down the aisle.

Sounds like he's really excited about finally having someone in his life, and is willing to make a what will probably be bad decision just b/c he's getting some.

Don't abandon your friendship over his poor decisions. Let him do what he needs to do, and be there for him, as a good friend, when the pieces fall.
I didn't abandon the friendship...he did. This email I got from him yesterday was the first time we've had any contact in a month. I told him if he made the choice to abandon our friendship that he shouldn't expect me to be there for him when things go sour with the girl, because I deserve better than just being there when it's convenient for him.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Fools rush in where wise men never go, but wise men never fall in love.

As much as you care for your best friend, it is not for you to say their marriage is doomed. Sometimes the heart knows and 'setting some imaginary timeline' to date does not guarantee a long term relationship.

Neither does having someone fit a laundry list of 'who I want to marry.'

Just because a person is an atheist does not make them bad, either. Some of the nicest people I met were atheists. Maybe your friend is just becoming more open-minded.
This isn't about her being an athiest. The only reason I pointed that out was he's a lifetime Jehovah's Witness. What if they have kids? One JW parent and one athiest parent...how in the hell would that work?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
It's AMAZING what sex can do to the minds of some men. After all, they marry for it, pay for it, take s*it for it, etc. Your friend clearly has hooked up with a woman that has rocked his world and turned it upside down. He is not thinking with the head on his shoulders and it will come back to bit him.

He has proven not to be a good friend to you if he has cut off all communication with you during the "romance" phase only to notify you he's getting engaged. Wish him well and be done with it.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
It's AMAZING what sex can do to the minds of some men. After all, they marry for it, pay for it, take s*it for it, etc. Your friend clearly has hooked up with a woman that has rocked his world and turned it upside down. He is not thinking with the head on his shoulders and it will come back to bit him.

He has proven not to be a good friend to you if he has cut off all communication with you during the "romance" phase only to notify you he's getting engaged. Wish him well and be done with it.
I don't think they're sleeping together yet...

Part of being a Jehovah's Witness is that you don't have sex before marriage. He's also confided in me in the past about his fear of intimacy, and how he gets physically sick when he thinks about having sex. Who knows...maybe he threw ALL THAT out the window, too.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I don't think they're sleeping together yet...

Part of being a Jehovah's Witness is that you don't have sex before marriage. He's also confided in me in the past about his fear of intimacy, and how he gets physically sick when he thinks about having sex. Who knows...maybe he threw ALL THAT out the window, too.
I'm stumped then...who knows what his motivation is?? She is in for an interesting honeymoon to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships