Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Yankeegirl, they actually believe we are close but I just don't feel like that with them. Me and his mom do a bunch of things together all the time. I just need my space sometimes when I have things going on, but she wants to get cozy all the time. Maybe I'll try get her into some group of some sort, you know, some bible-reading group or something to occupy her time and get her off our backs.

How can they actually believe that you are close, when your behaviour on here is obviously just the opposite?
I understand about needing your space, etc. Again, thats when you let him go spend time with her.
Have you explained to your BF how you feel about all of this time with his Mom?
Maybe you two could decide on certain days of the week to visit Mom, or on the weekends or something. If he feels like he needs more, then let him go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Tell him to let of the t*ts and quit breastfeeding already! ...did I say that?

Seriously, talk to him and let him know you would like to compromise on fewer visits. Perhaps he can go and take her to lunch or dinner vs. her coming to your place so often.

I am not bashing any man for being close with his mom (because I am a mom myself). It's just important to let him know while you may not share the same enthusiasm for seeing his mom as often as he does, you would like to have a more "alone" time with him.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
My mother passed away 14 years ago.
Oh how I wish I spent more time with her.
Perspective.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Some people are just more "family oriented" than others. Some families live together, generations under one roof. Some people move away and avoid contact with their parents and extended families for their own reasons. It's best to have a SO who has the same ideas about family as you. If not, you must decide what is more important to you.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:02 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

Some people are just more "family oriented" than others. Some families live together, generations under one roof. Some people move away and avoid contact with their parents and extended families for their own reasons. It's best to have a SO who has the same ideas about family as you. If not, you must decide what is more important to you.
Read her previous thread. This man doesn't just have a different idea of family, he has an inappropriate relationship with his mother at the expense of his girlfriend.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:10 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Yep, its odd if not inappropriate. The OP is jealous, and under the strange illusion she can alter the course.
Now thats one sick threesome.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:38 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Try doing some googling on the topic, heres one

My man can't separate from mom. Now what? - Getting Personal

Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

Try doing some googling on the topic, heres one

My man can't separate from mom. Now what? - Getting Personal
Great article.
Quote:
You are correct in saying this kind of attachment is not normal or healthy. But it’s not as rare as you might think. Unfortunately, some men are tethered to their mothers and don’t have enough room in their lives for a spouse to fit.

This often indicates an unhealthy dynamic between mother and son. Sometimes, mom sets up a situation where he must choose between the two women. Or she preys on his feelings of guilt, claiming he owes her, or is a bad son. This may work for him, especially if he is afraid of intimacy or the loss of his mother’s love.

. . .

Dr. Gail’s Bottom Line: If your relationship is serious, you should be the main woman in your man’s life. If you are bothered that his mother holds that primary place, and if he insists on keeping the status quo, you are destined for unhappiness.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:20 AM

429 posts, read 684,871 times
just tell him no and that you want time alone ...or better yet call her and tell her

Old 11-12-2009, 09:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
He is obviously getting something from time with his mom that he isnt getting with the OP. Companionship? Quality time? He feels that the OP is possessive? Conversation? Her kid is a brat? We have only heard her side of this story. Who knows? Maybe she is a real biatch and he can only find peace at his mothers. He wouldnt be the first guy to get out of the house just to find respite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships