Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:56 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,452,646 times

Advertisements

Why does it seem the nicer you are...the more people want to manipulate you? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,932 times
Because most people serve themselves and hence are selfish. If they see easy pickings they take advantage to get what they want. People won't walk all over you if you don't let them.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM

I got into a fight with a good friend tonight. She is constantly discounting my education. The truth is I have an MBA and did receive money from my parents, but not nearly enough to cover the cost of this house, which is paid for. I did a grueling commute for three years to double the value on my former house and pay for this house. I have such a hard time dealing with her. She is ALWAYS reminding me I could not be where I am without my family's money. Yet the truth is I could not be where I am without my hard work. My family did not sit in each one of those classes, my family is not bilingual. I am!

Oh, and now I have to tie in point A with point B. Well, the truth is she tries to be a friend - hence the manipulation. After all these years, it's hard not to see through. The point B is what do I do with it? Well, I stand my ground, get pissed off, put her in her place but the cycle keeps repeating itself. Sigh.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I got into a fight with a good friend tonight. She is constantly discounting my education. The truth is I have an MBA and did receive money from my parents, but not nearly enough to cover the cost of this house, which is paid for. I did a grueling commute for three years to double the value on my former house and pay for this house. I have such a hard time dealing with her. She is ALWAYS reminding me I could not be where I am without my family's money. Yet the truth is I could not be where I am without my hard work. My family did not sit in each one of those classes, my family is not bilingual. I am!
I can't even begin to fathom how you put up with someone like that. Remind that person that education is nothing but a piece of paper on the wall that says that you supposedly "know" stuff about a certain topic. It in no way ranks people to be better than others. It also sounds like this person only cares about superficial things like money. If this person does nothing but whine and complain about that stuff you should find new friends.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I can't even begin to fathom how you put up with someone like that. Remind that person that education is nothing but a piece of paper on the wall that says that you supposedly "know" stuff about a certain topic. It in no way ranks people to be better than others. It also sounds like this person only cares about superficial things like money. If this person does nothing but whine and complain about that stuff you should find new friends.
In some twisted way, thanks!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:27 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,255,736 times
Movin, she sounds jealous and like someone that needs to feel better about herself at any cost...it sounds like you are on the right path to setting firm boundaries...it is a shame relationships are so hard sometimes...good luck!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
In some twisted way, thanks!
I don't mean to sound harsh but it sounds like this person is more step mom material than a friend. Seriously, if your friends cause you problems get rid of them. Life is too short to sit around worrying about the past or trying to establish yourself on some prideful system based on the premise of faulty ideals called ambitions. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Movin, she sounds jealous and like someone that needs to feel better about herself at any cost...it sounds like you are on the right path to setting firm boundaries...it is a shame relationships are so hard sometimes...good luck!
Thanks! There isn't much to be jealous of. I've worked hard for this roof over my head and paid the price. She is now builidng a cabin up north on her mother in law's dime with a second mortgage on her house. I stick to the basics - one house that is paid for .

Old 11-20-2009, 08:34 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
a) she feels ashamed of her lack of accomplishment(s) and is trying to drag you down as result.
b) she has a superiority complex that she feeds by beating others down.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,255,736 times
Quote:
Thanks! There isn't much to be jealous of. I've worked hard for this roof over my head and paid the price. She is now builidng a cabin up north on her mother in law's dime with a second mortgage on her house. I stick to the basics - one house that is paid for .
There are so many people out there like that and they have a hard time seeing the sweat, blood and tears their friends put into their successes...it is unfortunate...you could just say "Sheesh, it must be nice to be able to mooch off your MIL for that cabin..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships