Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,169 times

Advertisements

(wanted to do a poll)
I usually just pick out something and give direct orders to my husband to "get this & wrap it up" which always works...HOWEVER this came up in conversation over the holidays. Men & women had various opinions so thought it would be interesting to get feedback (an acquaintance had this happen and was not a happy camper!)

Example: Woman has access to CC throughout the year and in fact just 2 months ago bought a new car in October and said ..this is my Christmas & Birthday rolled into one! Fast Forward> woman has S.O.at Christmas with family around and she has nothing from her S.O. although she has purchased several items she has wrapped for him under the tree and he was aware of this...now my question is..should she have been upset that she received nothing from him although he is extremely wealthy or should she be grateful she has him throughout the year with some security or should she be pi$$ed that he did not so much as wrap up a pack of gum (hey it is the holidays)? My opinion is it must have been 1>embarrassing for her 2>she felt hurt so she should have let him know this asap 3>she should know most men know nothing about how women think and it was him taking her comments 2 mos ago literally. The thing is she is very upset, hurt and thinks it is a dealbreaker. Most of the men felt she should suck it up but agreed he could have wrapped up something inexpensive. Most of the women thought the man was a jerk who had the wrong priorities and she should see this as a red flag. I like both of them and have met this couple a few times and nothing seemed amiss but it was interesting to see how different men and women viewed this. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:33 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Depends on how long they've known each other.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,852 times
Personally, I would never expect a gift from anybody. Ever. No matter how long I've been with them, how much money they made or how many gifts I had gotten them.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Depends on how long they've known each other.
Probably 20+ years with 4 kids between them.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Well, she bought herself what she wanted - the car and all - I would suppose that would be enough. Why by something for someone who has everything or can get it themselves. My own family quit exchanging gifts altogether - it was just a waste no matter how token the gesture.

I got an anonymous gift on my front porch of a bunch of dog biscuits for the dogs...best present I ever got.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
I did not receive a Christmas gift from my boyfriend last year. We had been dating for almost a year. It's not like I was expecting jewelry or anything fancy, but he got me absolutely nothing and then he went out of town to spend Christmas/New Year's with his family (I gave him his present before he left) and didn't even call me on Christmas (he sent a text message).

We are no longer together.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
Personally, I would never expect a gift from anybody. Ever. No matter how long I've been with them, how much money they made or how many gifts I had gotten them.
I absolutely agree. No one should expect a gift but in the past years she recieved them so should she be upset? I wanted men & women's take on this. I would be puzzled if my husband did not get me something mainly because he always has asked me what I want a few weeks or even months ahead. I wonder if he asked her or maybe she dropped hints..that I don't know. I know some of the women were passionate about thinking he was a jerk and she should ditch him. I tend to think ..work it out although I do think IF she had expectations and was hurt then that part is going to be an ongoing issue. Most of the men were in his corner and it was interesting to see some of the couples get quite irritated by their sig other's response. Lots of interesting topics talked about over dinner that night..I won't even go into the different mindsets about TIGER!!!

Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,330,501 times
I don't think not getting a Christmas gift from s/o is necessarily a big deal. It depends on the reasons behind it. Maybe there is an economic, religious or cultural reason. Or I guess it could be the person is selfish, insensitive, cheap or "just not that into u..." Now that's a deal breaker!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
If it's a social concern, it's as easy as saying, "We already exchanged some very nice gifts before Christmas."

Duh.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I did not receive a Christmas gift from my boyfriend last year. We had been dating for almost a year. It's not like I was expecting jewelry or anything fancy, but he got me absolutely nothing and then he went out of town to spend Christmas/New Year's with his family (I gave him his present before he left) and didn't even call me on Christmas (he sent a text message).

We are no longer together.
I think if you had expectations then you were smart and saw this might be his M.O.! Cut your losses early!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships