Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times

Advertisements

it's just a sense i get. the whole be yourself thing makes no sense because of my aforementioned point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why do you keep asking this question? Are you not being yourself in some way?
do you own this forum?

If not, why dictate what or not is posted?

It could be for information, for fun, or for general discussion.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
The problem with "being ones self"--is so many people fake it so much, they have no clue who they really are.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
@ Samston......how do you know people aren't being themselves if you don't know them?
by the by, i generally am myself, in most situations.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:06 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Who else could I be?

Johnny Depp???

Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Is it just something people say?

Are people generally themselves?
I feel like I'm having deja vu and amnesia at the same time here; I think I've forgotten this before.

Yes, this has been posted recently.. although in a slightly different format.

So, a lot of times it is something that people just say, until it comes down to specifics.

Look at it this way: If you were a guy trying to meet girls, and you used all those silly "tricks" that a lot of these dating guru's speak about, is that being yourself or is that you attempting to imitate someone else?

Or, if you have someone who you look up to because of certain qualities that they have, and you imitate those qualities, is that really being yourself?

What I say "be yourself", I mean exactly that. Don't try to imitate someone else, instead, just be how you are naturally. You can be influenced by another, but that doesn't mean that you have to take on all the qualities of that other person - it means that you take what works for you and use that.

Generally, people are "themselves", but there are situations when they aren't - like when one person is trying to impress another. Personally, I'm more impressed when a person lets all their quirks shine through, rather than someone who tries to repress them.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
well it depends on who they ask.
the response may be--- which self do you wana talk to.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM

146 posts, read 462,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
You can't be anything other then yourself. It's not possible.
You may not be pleased with certain aspects but every bit is you.
Who you 'really' are is who you'd rather be.
Maybe, but there's not reason can improve themselves (with new hobbies and skills and such) and make it a genuine part of their personality; so that when they're being themselves, they're still being better than who they used to me.

My friends right now are a bunch totally, socially inept stoners and slobs. I would NEVER tell them to "be themselves," atleast not yet.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
I feel like I'm having deja vu and amnesia at the same time here; I think I've forgotten this before.

Yes, this has been posted recently.. although in a slightly different format.

So, a lot of times it is something that people just say, until it comes down to specifics.

Look at it this way: If you were a guy trying to meet girls, and you used all those silly "tricks" that a lot of these dating guru's speak about, is that being yourself or is that you attempting to imitate someone else?

Or, if you have someone who you look up to because of certain qualities that they have, and you imitate those qualities, is that really being yourself?

What I say "be yourself", I mean exactly that. Don't try to imitate someone else, instead, just be how you are naturally. You can be influenced by another, but that doesn't mean that you have to take on all the qualities of that other person - it means that you take what works for you and use that.

Generally, people are "themselves", but there are situations when they aren't - like when one person is trying to impress another. Personally, I'm more impressed when a person lets all their quirks shine through, rather than someone who tries to repress them.
i would call that self-improvement. being yourself doesn't mean one cannot become more than who they are. it's part of what being a human is.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
The way I see it, you could be someone else and attract loads of people you have nothing in common with or you could 'be yourself' and have meaningful relationships.

I think it's worth it, you may not but it depends on what you're looking for in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships