Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:51 PM

297 posts, read 899,122 times

Advertisements

All the rich kids I know around me are depressed, seriously depressed.

It seems that they're finally beginning to realize that once they leave Mom&Dad they will have to start earning their own $.

But all of their lives they've lived in comfort and aren't really accustomed to the idea that luxury can't be taken for granted. Thus I've found that the rich kids I know at school are starting to report themselves as depressed as we near the end of high school.

Has life always been this way for (most) rich kids in history? Or is it because of the decline of family-oriented values and the rise of rampant individualism that now the rich kids must "go off" and basically fend for themselves regardless of their childhood background?

It seems to me that the increasing opportunity for social mobility (thus allowing poor, hard working, gifted students up into the stratosphere) has also made the rich kids' position more precarious and unstable to say the least.

Does anyone have any opinions on this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Yes, it's always been that way. The ennui of the rich and privileged is not new.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,564 times
I think, sometimes, rich parents give their kids a lot of things they don't need (money, designer clothes, nice cars, boob jobs) and not enough of what they do need (structure, guidance, emotional validation, TIME).

You can't lump every family together though. I know of several children of wealthy families who grew up to be healthy, well-adjusted adults.

And I know A LOT of kids who grew up poor, and ended up a mess.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times

Why is what these do of any consequence to you?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

Why is what these do of any consequence to you?
It isn't. That wasn't the question.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
If they live in depression and cannot fend for themselves, then it is their issue.

Sure, people have advantages in life, but we all in some regard have advantages. Nobody is proficient in all areas.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Great insight
But you haven't answered the question....

Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes, it's always been that way. The ennui of the rich and privileged is not new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Great insight
But you haven't answered the question....

I think JustJulia about covered it.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM

88 posts, read 270,646 times
I think someone needs to speak at high schools and really tell the kids that post HS, it is really a crap shot. The notion that the top ten kids in the class are going to become filthy rich is a joke. Even the fact that they'll be the most successful.

I'd say five got very average jobs (ex.teachers, factory workers) and the other five are either on their forth major in college or hoboing around trying to find themselves.

I never dreamed I would be one of the more, maybe most, successful grads of the class. Who knew? Amazing how things work out. Just a "B" student I was. That might have been a B- to

On the flip side, surprising how many of the "losers" of the school turned out just fine.

Its a crazy life we live.

On the subject of rich kids. There was a girl a year behind me that I had the hots for. Almost shocking how much she flaunted it. Her email address was something to the effect of ToRich@hotmail.com I kid you not! Of course I was 18 and when you're that age, looks rule period.

Well school let out and I was having what I thought was a good first conversation with her as we walked the half mile to the school parking lot (long walk). I had a little old s10 pickup back then and she actually said to me, you're going to need something a littler better than that! Yeah, whatever. I just forgot about her after that.

Saw her at a hometown gym about 8 years later. We locked eyes in the gym but no words were said. We just happened to leave the locker rooms at the same time and I walked out behind her. Her new Mustang was replaced with a 10yo honda civic. I kept on walking out the parking lot and was listening for her to pull out behind me and leave. She never did, waiting to see what I climbed into I guess. LOL, I turned around smiling and caught her looking, then climbed up into my $50,000 monster truck chrome rig.

Life is crazy. Can't believe it myself.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:51 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,096 times
Rich kids have the money but they may lack the love and affection they NEED from their parents.

And it's funny how a lot of rich kids end up drug additcts and drunkards like the rest of society, except that their money may make it easier for them to hide it or prolong it before everyone knows.

Money is an advantage to some degree, but it doesn't equal happiness, EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships