Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 03:11 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,745 times

Advertisements

Thanks DFOR.
**People this is not my life. I write thoughts/poetry and my friend told me I should read this at a spoken word event. I'm too shy for that so I thought I would post it.
I don't suffer from ABS(angry black woman syndrome) , life is good. I am blessed to have my health, good friends, crazy family and I am happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Thanks DFOR.
**People this is not my life. I write thoughts/poetry and my friend told me I should read this at a spoken word event. I'm too shy for that so I thought I would post it.
I don't suffer from ABS(angry black woman syndrome) , life is good. I am blessed to have my health, good friends, crazy family and I am happy.
whew!! well, that's a relief, LOL!!

Old 12-08-2009, 04:25 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,952 times
Quote:
Thanks DFOR.
Thank God for that..

As for the poetry itself, it's really not that bad at all. Don't worry, I won't critique it here on the relationships forum, but I would suggest that you find a good writers critique group. There's a lot of them out there that will really help you with your writing style, and give you some excellent pointers on things.

Just remember this, whatever you post on line is considered as "published". In other words, if you ever decide to try to have any piece that you wrote published for profit, then make sure not to post it online - or, if you do, post an older version. Most publishers won't even look at it if it's been posted online, unless 40% (I think is the standard) of the work has changed.

Here's a pretty good list of online groups:
Writer's Critique Groups: Where to Find Them

Here's one of the many that I've used off and on:
Category & forums listing - Writer's Digest

Really though, this is good stuff you wrote here.. It has impact, and a lot of people can relate to it. I would look at some of the critique groups and see what they have to say as well..

Thanks for sharing!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Thanks DFOR.
OH...phew!! I'm so glad to hear that. Thank you for sharing this though. I hope folks do read it....and remember that it is so much better to share thoughts such as these, rather than holding them inside.

Silent pain tears you apart, creates a pressure cooker effect....eventually, something's gotta give. I've seen so many relationships disintegrate because people don't say they're hurting. When you talk with them later and they share WHY they couldn't stay with their partners....you ask them, "Did you TELL them you were feeling that way?" They say, "No, I didn't want to hurt them....didn't want the confrontation....they wouldn't have cared anyway..etc." HOW can you expect someone to fix something, change something, if they don't even know that the problem EXISTS?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:33 AM

677 posts, read 1,538,830 times
tears

What if you have told the person these things,,,,,,,and nothing changes?

Last edited by Dragonfly8; 12-09-2009 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
tears

What if you have told the person these things,,,,,,,and nothing changes?
Then you have to ask yourself a few questions.....
1. Am I giving what I am expecting to receive?
2. Is this something I can live with for a year? 5 years? 10 years?
3. Can I handle this?...and is it going to cause me to become someone I don't want to be?

If being in a relationship like this is toxic to your emotional and/or physical wellbeing, you need to talk to someone...as a couple. If your mate is completely against talking to someone, you need to summon the strength and find a way to get out of there. We all need to be open to change, to be able to look at ourselves in the mirror and say, "I want something better. I deserve something better. I am willing to better myself in order to make this relationship work. If you look, there really are people who will help others....without pay. Sometimes, you don't need a professional....just good friends you can talk to who can help you sort things out together.

Again...if your mate is completely unbudging...and you can honestly say that you are being an excellent mate, who is being abused...do yourself and him/her a favor...leave. Staying in a toxiic relationship is unhealthy and unproductive for both of you. The unbudging, emotionally/physically abusive person has to see that they drive people away....it's the only HOPE of him/her getting better. Enabling an emotionally dysfunctional person only strengthens their dysfunction. Sometimes....in order to help them become a better person...you have to walk away...but not without an explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships