Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:59 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

I noticed a couple posts recently from people I know here talking about all the negative threads here.

Basically, if you are single etc. are you a little worried that all the marriage horror stories, tales of cheating, bad divorces, stalkers etc. are bad for you?

Aren't you worried that even subconciously you might start viewing people warily or negatively instead of with optimsim and caution?

I had a few dates like this during the Fall....gals that I politely never saw again as the date was dry as toast and they were obviously nervous or suspicious. It's good to know the bad things to look for but at what point are you becoming a toxic dater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Well, I was a reporter earlier in life, so I had been exposed to a lot. But, I have to admit, I've read some things and seen some opinions that are so batsh*t crazy that I have to look at the human race in a completely different light.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Some of us came to this forum warped. On the whole, I find reading others' experiences gives me a broader perspective than before.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I noticed a couple posts recently from people I know here talking about all the negative threads here.

Basically, if you are single etc. are you a little worried that all the marriage horror stories, tales of cheating, bad divorces, stalkers etc. are bad for you?

Aren't you worried that even subconciously you might start viewing people warily or negatively instead of with optimsim and caution?

I had a few dates like this during the Fall....gals that I politely never saw again as the date was dry as toast and they were obviously nervous or suspicious. It's good to know the bad things to look for but at what point are you becoming a toxic dater?
I think they would call that depression lol

Seriously, if somone is weak minded enough to allow words to bring them down then they have much bigger problems to deal with. It's all about outlook and viewpoint......how you choose to see the world as it is a choice and not something that is forced upon you.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Since a lot of the stories are much worse than anything I've ever encountered, sometimes I think I definitely should write off the institution of marriage and perhaps any serious relationship as well. Other times they make me think I could've done better with my marriages provided how much worse there is out there. Of course, that comes into play if we compare degrees of misery... All in all, though, I still think the choice between being married or single is more important than the choice of a partner. Frankly, there aren't too many marriages I can say I'd love to be mine.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,342,445 times
I was raised in the Bronx, NYC. Nothing I see or hear surprises me nor will have an effect on me.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Since a lot of the stories are much worse than anything I've ever encountered, sometimes I think I definitely should write off the institution of marriage and perhaps any serious relationship as well. Other times they make me think I could've done better with my marriages provided how much worse there is out there. Of course, that comes into play if we compare degrees of misery... All in all, though, I still think the choice between being married or single is more important than the choice of a partner. Frankly, there aren't too many marriages I can say I'd love to be mine.
Ah yes, "comparing degrees of misery" is a dangerous practice indeed. it's a good way to turn your situation worse as you will look at thing harder than you should and thus start justifying making a relationship worse instead of searching for ways to resolve issues. lol It's a marriage counselors worst nightmare.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,695,626 times
I try not to let things I hear or read on this forum warp me. I don't bring any bad energy from a past relationship into a new one. when I am dating a new man, I treat it as a new, unique situation, I would hope he doesn't turn into a loser or weirdo. There's a guy I'm interested in now, we haven't gone out but always sit together at the sportsbar, I don't even know if he likes me but I gave him my number yesterday and we've been texting. so, we;ll see what happens.
but, I still have hope that I will find a great guy, who will be a partner in life, and hopefully not all that other BS from the negative threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Personally, I think if this forum prevents somebody from doing something stupid to wreck his or her life, then it's a pretty good thing.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
James Watson - the codiscoverer of DNA - was profiled on a PBS program a few years ago. One thing he predicted was that it won't be too long before the genetic material that makes people attractive will be available to all. He was all for this development but many are dead set against it and this generated a heated debate. My belief is that those who are against it, would not like to see their inherited genetic advantage degraded.

Anyhow, I am of the belief that this is the only development that might save marriage. Looks are so important to success now days that all the more important things are ignored by not only potential spouses but employers, voters, potential acquaintences and in other important forums. Society is in serious decline in large part because of this. Virtue (really) is (only) its own reward, now days.

My experience is that most good looking people have few other virtues but everyone is so eager to overlook their faults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships