Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Being tall isn't as great as everyone thinks it is! I am a girl, 5'10" tall. I have trouble finding pants that are long enough and I just generally don't like being taller than most people..especially when I am taller than guys.
May I ask how old you are?

At 6'1"...I hate it when I don't tower over the crowd. LOL So I wear heels to make sure it's a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Being tall isn't as great as everyone thinks it is! I am a girl, 5'10" tall. I have trouble finding pants that are long enough and I just generally don't like being taller than most people..especially when I am taller than guys.
That's unfortunate. I love being tall. I agree that buying pants is a pain, but I've found that most department stores carry talls. (Usually online.) For me, buying suit jackets and blazers is the worst. My wrists usually hang out.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Get that youngster on the weights and he'll have a chance. Good luck!

LOL...it's funny you say that. His coaches have been trying to get him to put on weight but he is not interested in it...he just loves playing ball. I am trying to fatten him up but he just keeps burning it off. I believe it's going to his feet!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:47 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I dunno...I was at my adult height of 6'1" by the time I was fourteen. I don't think my mother was proud--she felt bad for me because she knew how difficult the teenage years would be based on her own experience (she used to be 5'11", now at 81 has shrunk to 5'9").

And of course, even surviving the teenage years, I'm still fighting the never-ending battle to find clothing. There are so few sources for tall women.

But it's nice to see that one of MY KIND is finally in the White House! Michelle Obama is 5'11". She doesn't have to worry about shopping, though...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
More recently (last 5 years or so) I've been able to buy Long/Extra Long off the rack and take the hems out. LOL Shirts are a lost cause because for some reason manufacturers equate tall women with having only long legs.

Otherwise I order from catalogs and the internet or wear mens apparel, but it's always a challenge. I despise shopping for clothes, accessories are another story.
Hey, I read this after I posted my previous post. Re the bolded, ain't that the truth? How about when you work in the business world and need suits????

JC Penney catalogs carry tall clothing, but they are pretty basic in style, nothing too extraordinary, but at least the prices are reasonable.

I get a catalog from a place called Long Elegant Legs. Choices are limited, but the stuff is good quality.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Ugh...the growing pains were the worst. I remember my mom using warm compresses trying to relieve the pain, but since it was in the bone, there wasn't much one could do. Most people had, and still have, no clue when I talk about growing pains. Even doctors would tell me there was no such thing.
The only person I knew that could relate was one of my older female cousins who stands at 6'. She used to get them when she was younger.
So did I, and they are very real.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
LOL...it's funny you say that. His coaches have been trying to get him to put on weight but he is not interested in it...he just loves playing ball. I am trying to fatten him up but he just keeps burning it off. I believe it's going to his feet!

Don't want to fatten him up. But if he wants to play in college he will have to be much stronger than what he is at his weight. He will naturally fill out of course, but most good ballplayers lift, and he will have to do so to keep up.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 AM

47 posts, read 78,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Parents/ grandparents say it about the kids "Oh, s/he is going to be so big/tall!" or "my boy/girl is so much bigger than children their age."
What's the big deal with this obsession?
Do you think it's more prevalent in certain parts of the country than others?

My little cousin is 12 years old(female) and is already 5'11'. How she got there? Well, genetics, lots of exercising, milk, yogurts, diet rich in carbons etc.

It's awesome for her because she wants to become a basketball player.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:19 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
I'm not sure it's a "wish" it's natural evolution + hormones in food & an overabundance of food.

I took an anthropology class once & we studied some interesting things and our professor had some predictions. According to him, 100 years from now females will overtake males as the taller sex (it's already happening). In 5,000 years, the average human might be as tall as 8' and weigh over 400 pounds.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I'm the tallest of my family. And I'm well under 6 feet. I never remember anyone worrying about how tall I might get--I've done fine for myself without being tall. I'm not really that big either. I'm well-muscled, but I don't look like a body builder, whose muscles are for show more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships