Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM

85 posts, read 227,138 times

Advertisements

What happened to taking your date to coffee shops? A fancy restaurant for a first date isn't really the best idea IMHO.

I like it when my date isn't too reserved...of course I always try to lead her to rant about her hobbies, etc. She better to do at least half of the talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 06:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I dated a woman from Japan once and each time we went out she would eat HALF of her food.
I can see that. In my early years here I had a tough time with it, too. Now that I finally got used to gigantic stuff, they started making everything smaller!

I remember I could only eat 1/2 of favorite dish across the border in Mexico. Then I moved to 2/3. Finally I'm perfectly able to polish it off!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:33 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraaz View Post
i can see that. In my early years here i had a tough time with it, too. Now that i finally got used to gigantic stuff, they started making everything smaller!:d

i remember i could only eat 1/2 of favorite dish across the border in mexico. Then i moved to 2/3. finally i'm perfectly able to polish it off!:d

lol!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
If we're supposed to meet somewhere, she should be on time. I don't like spontaneity either. Don't change plans once made.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:38 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Now all us guys know most women can't eat as much as we can. But only one or two bites, come on girls?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:04 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
You can always tell her no, right?

These days I would, although being married now it's NOT the issue it once was.

When I was younger and trying to be polite, it was weird the first few times, then slowly became irritating.

As for telling her no, first off the mood is tarnished by the introduction of conflict. If you think there's no conflict based on this then bear in mind that many men who might read these lines are right now saying to themselves "Yeah, right -- NO conflict at all" with a knowing smirk.

If you don't tell her no, you're now seeing something (and usually paying for it) you weren't as interested in, if at all. As you're standing in line for some concessions, having already paid for said tickets, she "won", you're seeing her movie, and even if you're being as accomodating as possible, she won't let it go.

"You're mad now, aren't you?"
"What?"
"You're mad about not seeing your movie."
"No, really -- this is fine, I can see it another time. We'll see this one."
"But you wanted to see the other one."
"Yes, but really, this is fine. Like I said, I can see it later."
"If you want we can still go to the other one."
"No we can't. I bought tickets to this one. I'd have to stand in line to see if they'd exchange them at all."
"I can stand in line."
"You don't have to do that. This movie is fine."
"No, you're mad, I can tell."
"I'm not mad."
"Yes you are."
"Why do you think I'm mad?"
"Well, for one, your tone of voice."
"I didn't have a 'tone of voice' until you started with this. This other movie is FINE -- really!"
"I knew it. You're upset."
"Are you trying to drive me crazy?"
"No, it's just that..."
"Just that what?"
"Nothing."
"Don't do that."
"Do what?"
"Start that 'nothing' thing. If something is bothering you, just tell me."
"No, it's nothing."
"WHAT is 'nothing'?"
"I can tell, you wanted to see that other movie."
"I did; but you want to see this one. I already said it's fine. I bought tickets. We're going to see this one."
"Yes, but you don't really want to."

There will be a couple of guys who will sniff and say "I never had to put up with any such thing." They'll say this whether it's true or not.

There will be a couple of really sensitive guys who will insist I was giving off unconscious signals and making her uncomfortable. They'll chide me for this.

And there will be several guys who read this and say "Yep, that's about right. It may not be a movie, may be something else, but I KNOW that conversation, know it well."

Second, have you ever tried to enjoy a movie you wanted to see with someone there who didn't want to be there?

If you DO tell her no, you'll get that *huff* that means I'm upset and you need to ask me why. If you don't ask me why I plan to keep this up for the remainder of the evening OR until I hyperventilate, in which case if I faint and hit my head it's your fault. And by the way, THIS movie is STUPID! And YOU'RE stupid, too!

Yes, all that contained in a huff of air. Who says we men aren't communicators?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:13 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post

When I was younger and trying to be polite, it was weird the first few times, then slowly became irritating.

As for telling her no, first off the mood is tarnished by the introduction of conflict. If you think there's no conflict based on this then bear in mind that many men who might read these lines are right now saying to themselves "Yeah, right -- NO conflict at all" with a knowing smirk.

If you don't tell her no, you're now seeing something (and usually paying for it) you weren't as interested in, if at all. As you're standing in line for some concessions, having already paid for said tickets, she "won", you're seeing her movie, and even if you're being as accomodating as possible, she won't let it go.

"You're mad now, aren't you?"
"What?"
"You're mad about not seeing your movie."
"No, really -- this is fine, I can see it another time. We'll see this one."
"But you wanted to see the other one."
"Yes, but really, this is fine. Like I said, I can see it later."
"If you want we can still go to the other one."
"No we can't. I bought tickets to this one. I'd have to stand in line to see if they'd exchange them at all."
"I can stand in line."
"You don't have to do that. This movie is fine."
"No, you're mad, I can tell."
"I'm not mad."
"Yes you are."
"Why do you think I'm mad?"
"Well, for one, your tone of voice."
"I didn't have a 'tone of voice' until you started with this. This other movie is FINE -- really!"
"I knew it. You're upset."
"Are you trying to drive me crazy?"
"No, it's just that..."
"Just that what?"
"Nothing."
"Don't do that."
"Do what?"
"Start that 'nothing' thing. If something is bothering you, just tell me."
"No, it's nothing."
"WHAT is 'nothing'?"
"I can tell, you wanted to see that other movie."
"I did; but you want to see this one. I already said it's fine. I bought tickets. We're going to see this one."
"Yes, but you don't really want to."

There will be a couple of guys who will sniff and say "I never had to put up with any such thing." They'll say this whether it's true or not.

There will be a couple of really sensitive guys who will insist I was giving off unconscious signals and making her uncomfortable. They'll chide me for this.

And there will be several guys who read this and say "Yep, that's about right. It may not be a movie, may be something else, but I KNOW that conversation, know it well."

Second, have you ever tried to enjoy a movie you wanted to see with someone there who didn't want to be there?

If you DO tell her no, you'll get that *huff* that means I'm upset and you need to ask me why. If you don't ask me why I plan to keep this up for the remainder of the evening OR until I hyperventilate, in which case if I faint and hit my head it's your fault. And by the way, THIS movie is STUPID! And YOU'RE stupid, too!

It never happened to me but has happened to other guys while I was flying solo at the movie theater. Was it you?LOL..... JK Yes, I have seen this type of argument before.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
That's a good one! Totally worth the typing!

Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
I would hope it's not an issue at all.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:41 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,990 times
As the other guys have said, when she order the most expensive meal on the menu and the eat very very little. It's like a big WTH moment. And not only is it irritating, but it's extremely rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships