Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Here is where I would be questioning the whole thing. People are not usually diagnosed at the onset of anemia, so if the sex drive dropped when she was diagnosed, and not prior to that, then it is not probably the anemia itself. Think about it, at the time she was diagnosed, she had probably had anemia for awhile, so if it was the anemia that was causing the lack of sex drive, then it would of been occuring prior to diagnosis.
Definitely! It could be caused by the medications she's on, though. She may also be down and worried about it and the guy in question may not provide much empathy or support the lack of which is not exactly an aphrodisiac under any circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
My friend told me, his wifes sex drive has dropped dramamtically, sicne she was diagnosed with anemia, he sts shes always tired, can anemia affect sex drive?
Maybe he should talk to his wife about what's up and what they can do to improve their sex instead of telling you the details of his sex life and his wife's personal health issues.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Maybe he should talk to his wife about what's up and what they can do to improve their sex instead of telling you the details of his sex life and his wife's personal health issues.

chill mrs goody 2 shoes, 80 percent of guys, tell their "boys" stuff like this all the time, you would be suprised!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,174 times
Quote:
chill mrs goody 2 shoes, 80 percent of guys, tell their "boys" stuff like this all the time, you would be suprised!
Girls do too. I'm just being a brat.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:21 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
In case it got overlooked, this article addresses everything including anemia, depression, medications, menopause, simply the monthly cycle - pretty much everything and some methods that have worked

All this info is also addressed on various sites on anemia if you type it in your browser.

A Woman's Guide to Reviving Sex Drive - Goodhousekeeping.com (http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/marriage-sex/revive-sex-drive-0606 - broken link)

Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
I'm anemic and it has no affect on that part of me, whatsoever

Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 PM

52,245 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I'm not so sure about being anemic.

I think being broke could have an effect on some guys sex life.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Well if she's anemic, the most likely reason is period problems and the psychological thing of finding out that she's anemic and that it's probably female trouble could make her less interested for now. But she will probably be amazed at how quickly she'll feel better with iron supps and B12 and get a boost that way.

That said, seems like I"m always going on and off iron pills and it has absolutely no effect on my libido whatsoever, but everyone is different. I've had my iron level so low they were wondering how I managed to walk around, but I felt fine. My daughter got it and was pale, tired, depressed, and slept all the time. When I get back on iron pills is when I notice a difference though--my brain fog clears up and my legs feel stronger, and when I squat down and stand up quickly, I no longer feel like I'm going to pass out. And that's it--my fingernail beds are always pink, no matter what.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
Can anemia affect sex drive in women?
Yes, it can. I think my wife has had anemia for 10 years now!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:19 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
The simple answer to the OP is that certainly "anemia" can diminish libido. However, without access to this woman's medical history, I would caution against taking the next step to recommending therapy. "Anemia" is a catch-all diagnosis, and without pursuing a specific etiology, it is an oversimplification to assume that the anemia is secondary to nutritional depletion.

Consider that "anemia" may be due to blood loss,or excessive destruction of RBCs, or reduced formation of red cells. Any of the above three can have a myriad of causes. As one poster suggested, a common cause of hemorrhagic anemia is excessive menstrual flow. However, bleeding may also be from the nose, upper GI tract (esophageal varices, erosive gastritis, peptic ulcer), or rectum (hemorrhoids), precipitating acute anemia or chronic iron deficiency anemia.

RBCs may be destroyed or hemolyzed in liver disease or hyperlipemia in alcoholic hepatitis. As Sierra suggested, the "anemia" may be drug-induced. For example, penicillins, cephalosporins, some antiparkinsonian agents, quinidine, and some NSAIDs can cause drug-induced hemolytic anemia. Even something as seemingly innocuous
as taking an aspirin for stroke prophylaxis can affect both blood loss in the GI, as well as adversely affecting platelet aggregation and clotting.

Finally, if the anemia is due to reduction of RBCs being formed the patient may have a clotting abnormality.This particularly true in liver disease, although there are genetic predispositions that interfere with clotting.

Now, let's assume you have eliminated everything BUT a nutritional deficiency. You still need access to the patient's CBC and focus on the cell morphology to determine the type of anemia. Abnormally large RBCs may suggest a deficiency of folic acid. Normocytic, normochromic anemia may be secondary rarely to pyridoxine deficiency. Microcytic, hypochromic anemia may indicate copper deficiency, as well as simply iron deficiency.

OK, enough already. I'm only trying to illustrate the danger of recommending treatment on the basis of an oversimplistic diagnosis of "anemia". In addition, if the assumption of iron deficiency is inaccurate, there is a danger of GI side effects, hemochromotosis, and increased risk of infection from unnecessary iron supplementation.

In summary, the leap from "anemia" to recommendations for treatment is beyond the scope of this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships