Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times

Advertisements

I had an early Thanksgiving on Halloween with my son, mom, brother and his wife and kids when they came to town. I spent the entire day cooking and I love doing it. I was thrilled to be with them as we rarely have the opportunity to be together. Even so, it was enough of a holiday fill that I really didn't feel the need to do anything on Thanksgiving.

Now Christmas is coming. My buds are giving me a hard time about it because I want to spend it at home alone. I really just want to relax, hold down the couch in my fuzzy jammies, make some popcorn and watch a few movies. I'm not sad or depressed. I just don't feel like doing the gathering thing this year.

Can anyone feel me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Can anyone feel me?
Normally - yes; on Christmas in particular - not really. However, that's just a result of personal hang-ups. If that's what you really feel like doing, just do it!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I don't think it's a unique feeling. I know plenty of people who feel the same.

I don't like being "forced" for spend time with relatives I don't care to see, so I simply don't.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Interesting thread.

I don't like being around big groups during the holidays. Just a few close friends or family, but not alone.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Yeah, if it weren't for my 2 grandkids, I'd be someplace warm

Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
I had an early Thanksgiving on Halloween with my son, mom, brother and his wife and kids when they came to town. I spent the entire day cooking and I love doing it. I was thrilled to be with them as we rarely have the opportunity to be together. Even so, it was enough of a holiday fill that I really didn't feel the need to do anything on Thanksgiving.

Now Christmas is coming. My buds are giving me a hard time about it because I want to spend it at home alone. I really just want to relax, hold down the couch in my fuzzy jammies, make some popcorn and watch a few movies. I'm not sad or depressed. I just don't feel like doing the gathering thing this year.

Can anyone feel me?
That's what most of us single guys do, right?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 PM

527 posts, read 1,282,103 times
I understand. We used to hang out with our extended family but we don't anymore. They don't return our phonecalls or anything. But my aunt came and visited my mom and I and we haven't seen her in 2 years. I'm glad that she still cares, even when everybody else doesn't.

I don't like being alone.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:07 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:

Can anyone feel me?
Absolutely! I've never been a big Thanksgiving person...and I've often enjoyed spending that day and weekend alone whenever my son went out of town with his dad. I enjoy my time alone and always have. I don't see a thing wrong with it.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:12 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Don't get me wrong....I LOVE my family and love our holiday get togethers. My wife and I have produced a mob of 14 people, including all the way down to great grandkids, and there's nothing I like better than hanging with them on special days (or any time!). But.....

A couple of years ago, I was asked if I'd mind spending Thanksgiving in Ramona, CA helping to clean up after the disastrous brush fires which just devastated the area. I do disaster relief with the Southern Baptist's and this was an opportunity to help people in their hour of need and to spread the Gospel, so I jumped at the chance. My family had no problem with my going as they know that's what I do so, along with a few others, we spent that week cleaning up burned homes on the Rincon Indian Reservation.

Thanksgiving Day rolled around and the congregation at the little church we were staying at invited us to share Thanksgiving with some of their members in their homes. It was remarkably gracious of them to offer, and all my fellow Baptist's availed themselves of the opportunity to share the holiday with total strangers. They all came back praising God for it.

But, not me. I gently said "No thank you."

Why? Because I too got a gift from God, one tailored to my particular personal needs and desires. I got to spend the day all by myself on the beach at one my favorite places on earth: Laguna Beach, Ca. I drove down from Ramona and spent one of the most memorable Thanksgiving's I've had in my 60 years.

Yeah, I missed the family, and they missed me, but spending those few hours communing with God and the ocean was just what I needed. It will forever be a red letter day for me.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Actually Christmas is one of the few times I wish I was married with kids, Christmas alone sucks in my opinion. Thankfully I live closer to great friends now and have made a couple new friends in my new area, which I will spend Christmas with.

When I lived in Miami the last couple years it was really a downer on Christmas, no friends or family were left there, all of them had bailed out of that city before I decided to, as much as I like being single and my own space traditional times like Christmas can get lonely feelings going.

Sometimes even when you have friends in town they go away to see their family and you may not be in a position to do that. One of the promises I made to myself when I was trying to sell my house that last year was that that would be the last Christmas I sat alone in my house all day because that is what happened that last year in Miami. And it will be the last time ever.....ever ever ever that happens unless by choice.

I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships