Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times

Advertisements

I can't believe the amount of people that won't look out for or stick up for people other than themselves anymore. Is the whole point of being a herd type animal to look out for the rest of herd? Quite frankly I find it annoying to have to deal with most people everyday but I am not going to let someone out to dry because it would be too much of a bother to care. What is the point of being social at all if you are just doing it for shallow attention? Does no one value depth? Does no one care about anyone but themeselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 04:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
The path of least resistance can be the easiest.

I like to think the Serenity Prayer, courage to change the things I can, accept the things I can't and the wisdom to know the difference.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:49 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,037,251 times
..again...another good one pitt (you are on a roll today lol)

I recently heard this being discussed on the radio station which i have on my alarm clock...relating to how many of the "modern" type of men are really sissies and lack the true meaning of what it means to be a man..which includes being able to protect and provide, hunt, gather and respect..while teaching the next generation the same values...

The two people discussing this were discussing how the feminist movement has really back fired..not just because of the messed up message it has sent women..but because of how it has effected men..

While i won't get further into that part of what was discussed, it is sad to see the lack of respect ...and lack of real initiative that ive seen in some of my buddies or within my own family..

whats even sadder.. are the women who accept this kind of garbage..in the guys they choose to date..or, god forbid, marry..

All i can say is that im glad that i am not one of them...i mean while i do have a good sense of style, possess some toys, and keep myself in decent shape, I work hard...getting dirty and sweaty... Can cook, raise beautiful orchids, do my own Laundry, fix stuff, change my own tires/oil or what ever...and respect anyone until they give me reason not to...which shows that i do not back down on those things which i should never compromise on..and have had blood on my hands while coming to another man's aid..and id do it again, because i choose to be a man..not a little boy..because i know that my grand fathers would be disappointed if could not do the things i should be able to..without whining..

Old 12-26-2009, 04:50 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
There have been quite a few spoiled kids with a sense of entitlement raised in the last 20 years. If things don't go well at work their mothers call and complain.

We are raising a bunch of indulged kids who have become over indulged semi-adults. What ever happened to independence and taking care of our own without expecting the Govt or others to owe us ?

What would your Grand Parents think about todays world ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxUuDPNbkJk

Old 12-26-2009, 04:55 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
I recently heard this being discussed on the radio station which i have on my alarm clock...relating to how many of the "modern" type of men are really sissies and lack the true meaning of what it means to be a man..which includes being able to protect and provide, hunt, gather and respect..while teaching the next generation the same values.....
I sell a lot of homes and amazed at the young men today who have no clue how to operate a screwdriver or do any kind of repairs. Simple Things that guys should know that fathers should have taught their boys. Many men can't change a tire on a car.

Blame it on a soft upbringing, computers, no father at home or whatever but so many young men do not know how to be a strong well adjusted adult man.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:02 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,253,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I can't believe the amount of people that won't look out for or stick up for people other than themselves anymore. Is the whole point of being a herd type animal to look out for the rest of herd? Quite frankly I find it annoying to have to deal with most people everyday but I am not going to let someone out to dry because it would be too much of a bother to care. What is the point of being social at all if you are just doing it for shallow attention? Does no one value depth? Does no one care about anyone but themeselves?
I do it all the time, and feel great about it. Not only with mechanical stuff and tasks but for comforting someone who needs it as well. Rugged

Old 12-26-2009, 05:04 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,037,251 times
Totally agreed rakin.. I think its funny when i hear some guy whining about working out in the yard..." whaaah ..its too hot..." what a bunch of ..well you know..

Whats even funnier, i was one of those guys raised without his father..

BTW, tried to rep you but i guess i gotta spread some more love..lol

Old 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I sell a lot of homes and amazed at the young men today who have no clue how to operate a screwdriver or do any kind of repairs. Simple Things that guys should know that fathers should have taught their boys. Many men can't change a tire on a car.

Blame it on a soft upbringing, computers, no father at home or whatever but so many young men do not know how to be a strong well adjusted adult man.
Rakin the question would be then why there's no father at home in their childhood?

Should I say?.............nope, I can't otherwise.........never mind.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:12 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,012,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Very interest point, pitt. There are some who believe that the more we advance technologically, the more we remove ourselves from our 'human' nature. I think I've seen a thread or two about it here... how email, texting, etc. have minimized the need for face-to-face communication and how an entire generation is growing up lacking in the skills that many of us take for granted. For instance, saying "thank you" when we receive a gift, even if it's maybe not exactly our taste. I witnessed my friends' kids opening gifts this year (from me, and other friends of their parents) and they literally tossed them aside and said "Can I return it?". Of course, some of this reflects on parenting, but some of it is how we as a society tolerate this kind of behavior.

I truly think humans have a potential far greater than we've realized. Unfortunately, our passion for material things and our ever-growing greed is causing us to devolve as a species. I'm not saying this is true of every single person, but that same "herd mentality" you refer to is what causes us to keep up with the Joneses, so to speak.

Great post.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:09 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Very interest point, pitt. There are some who believe that the more we advance technologically, the more we remove ourselves from our 'human' nature. I think I've seen a thread or two about it here... how email, texting, etc. have minimized the need for face-to-face communication and how an entire generation is growing up lacking in the skills that many of us take for granted. For instance, saying "thank you" when we receive a gift, even if it's maybe not exactly our taste. I witnessed my friends' kids opening gifts this year (from me, and other friends of their parents) and they literally tossed them aside and said "Can I return it?". Of course, some of this reflects on parenting, but some of it is how we as a society tolerate this kind of behavior.

I truly think humans have a potential far greater than we've realized. Unfortunately, our passion for material things and our ever-growing greed is causing us to devolve as a species. I'm not saying this is true of every single person, but that same "herd mentality" you refer to is what causes us to keep up with the Joneses, so to speak.

Great post.
Good post here, I've posted several times in the past about the use of technology and how its affecting young people. I've witnessed several younger people and they seem to be lacking in some basic social skills. I work alot of times with much younger guys, and there was this one kid, man, every second he could get he was in in Iphone, doing something or another, its like crack to them.

I have and do like technology, but I keep it in perspective. Many kids,especially really young, like early high school, I don't know, don't know how well they're gonna be in the workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships