Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times

Advertisements

Some of them are funny. I don't get offended, I'm used to hearing jokes about Jews being rich and cheap, it's a common stereotype and I'm not bothered by it.
Now, jokes about Asians having small penises could be way more offensive. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
It's depends on the delivery. I don't care who delivers it as long as it's done in jest and not with derision.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,990 times
When it comes to racial and ethnic jokes, I'm fair game. Some people aren't though. I once landed myself in hot water taking to this Mexican girl I was chatting to online. I had gotten to know her on a football forum [which is an all-male environment, and anything goes]. One day we were poking fun at each other, and she made fun of me being black by saying black is a negative/illegal colour [blacklisted, black Monday, black market etc] and I responded by saying at least when I went on holiday to USA I entered the country legally. It was all in jest but she got quite offended.

I had previously said that immigrant joke to my local barber who is a Turkish fella, and he laughs it off. So I didn't know immigration jokes were that sensitive.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 AM

Some of the jokes between the guys I know here are absolutely shocking - but nobody amongst us gets offended. I play football with a bunch of lads [whites, blacks, Indians, Pakistanis etc] and the skewed dark humour amongst us is not everyones taste. We enjoy it, but if others overheard the stuff we say they would be absolutely disgusted. We push boundaries to a whole new level.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
It never bothered me until one day this mexican lady we were visiting laid one on me. This was in California and she was having a party, and everybody was getting in her pool. She asked me if I was gonna get in and I told her no because I am not a good swimmer. Then she said real loud: "So how did you get to the US, didn't you swim over here?" She started laughing and some of her guests just shook their heads in disbelief. I just shrugged it off and walked away.
I believe there is a time and a place for everything and this was uncalled for. She didn't even know me that well to say it.
Sounds like something I would say. But not to someone I barely know. That is disrespectful.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM

42 posts, read 98,785 times
It's not the words but the delivery of it. I'm Asian and not at all bothered by racial jokes, even those about my race, as long as it's not purposely disrespectful or meant to intentionally insult.

I've been given compliments that end up being taken as backhanded compliments mostly because the person put it across in such a bitchy manner. So, it really depends on the delivery and who you say it to. A mere acquaintance might not take any kind of these jokes so well.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:32 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Its best left to the pros and even then it takes an intelligent comic to pull it off and make it entertaining. Ethnic humor is too easy and I am not comfortable with it unless I am with really old friends. If a person tells me an ethnic joke they better be sober.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Not one bit, people make fun of me all the time, being italian and spanish, the italian part is the one thy make fun at, and i in turn, tell them to watch it, cause i have a big trunk. lol take care. Doesn't bother me, that's my problem, nothing does.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 PM

188 posts, read 406,343 times
Yeah, Im offended by it most of the time... The only time I could let it slide, is if its comedian like someone else stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships