Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,291,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think it depends. Tiger's wife went into the marriage for money . . .
Wow. You must have a closer friendship with Elin than the rest of us to know the ins and outs of their marriage and why she married him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,736,274 times
Half of everything amassed during the marriage, regardless of the reason for the divorce. Public bickering about who's to blame helps no one.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,194,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Half of everything amassed during the marriage, regardless of the reason for the divorce. Public bickering about who's to blame helps no one.
Even if it was Elin who cheated?

Hypothetically speaking.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:15 AM

622 posts, read 1,280,805 times
No

Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
No.

But I have never believed that you are entitled to half of anything just because you are married.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,736,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
Even if it was Elin who cheated?

Hypothetically speaking.
Yes. The assets amassed during marriage are still in play; they don't disappear because someone slept around. I am not interested in the blame game. That just encourages stupid finger-pointing and mud-slinging. I slept with that woman because you got fat and ugly! I got fat and ugly because you work too much and I'm tired of taking care of the children all by myself! Well, I work long hours because you're a raging harpy when I get home! Maybe I wouldn't be a raging harpy if you .... blah blah blah.

Not interested. All that solves is to make lawyers rich.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,906,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
In the case of the marriage between Donald and Ivana Trump, I think she deserved what she got. Paul McCartney and Heather Graham, I think he got ripped off.
Okay, apparently it's Heather Mills.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,938,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No.

But I have never believed that you are entitled to half of anything just because you are married.

I'm fine with splitting everything accumulated during the marriage in half. It's the alimony regardless of fault that really bugs me. Men nearly always have to pay regardless of earning potential or fault. It's garbage.

The only time I'm OK with long term alimony would be in the case of an older spouse that never worked and is kicked to the curb by their husband or wife with no means to support themselves. If the said stay at home spouse initiates the divorce they shouldn't get any alimony unless there is abuse. You want to leave fine, but you are now on your own.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,252,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think it depends. Tiger's wife went into the marriage for money, so in her case what entitles her to half of his entire fortune? I don't know if the state they live in is community property, but she may be entitled to half for the number of years the marriage lasted. She is going to be pretty well set no matter what especially with 2 babies. Too bad so sad for him... Now if it is just ur average girl who invested all in the marriage she should get half... If he leaves her for another she should get a little more consideration.
Florida isn't but California is. They say she's trying to say that she's a California resident because Tiger has a house there. Which I think is pretty trashy and greedy. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for her she's a gold digger. She was going to get like 180 million which is so not half but she's not satisfied with that so she wants to try and lie and say she lives in Cali? They were made for each other. They're both cheaters.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post

On an unrelated side note, is it just me or does anyone else find the idea of a prenuptial agreement kind of odd in that one is planning for one's divorce, before the wedding has occurred.
A lot of people agree with you. But that's a whole other huge debate on its own. The main difference in people who look askance at prenups as basically planning for a marriage to fail and more or less setting it up to, and those who think it's just good, common sense practice seems to be whether or not they view marriage as primarily a financial matter/business agreement or not. Also typically a difference in how much money they have/expect to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships