Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

<winks at Sierra>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
<winks at Sierra>
As I said, I'm not into winking at all, much less at allegedly "taken" boys!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:02 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What's the point of that? Leaving the ball in his court? Can't you just drop a line? Come to think of it... he didn't put any effort into it... why would you?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
i have like 6 winks in my box right now. i kind of wonder why they didn't just say hi. just strikes me as an odd way of communicating!
I really think the "wink" is a feature that many use to simply let someone know that they found you interesting somehow. They might not have any desire to take it any further than that - perhaps the distance is too far, or whatever. But they felt a desire to at least let you know they liked what they saw.

And for some people that are extremely shy, this can be a start, at least. It's a hard thing to do - to put yourself out there, and for shy people, it's even more difficult.

So, when someone winks at me, if I see something there, I'll wink back, or perhaps email. If there is no response, then I make the assumption that it was one of those first types I described above. I don't give it another thought.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,507 times
Quote:
What's the point of that? Leaving the ball in his court? Can't you just drop a line? Come to think of it... he didn't put any effort into it... why would you?!
I mentioned earlier that I've been (maybe wrongly) conditioned to believe that guys don't like "aggressive" women. So, I just let them know that I'm interested as well, and leave the ball in their court. If they choose to not respond after my wink, I figure they weren't all that interested in the first place and I saved myself some time by not crafting a witty thoughtful e-mail that would have also been ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So, when someone winks at me, if I see something there, I'll wink back, or perhaps email. If there is no response, then I make the assumption that it was one of those first types I described above. I don't give it another thought.
Yup!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
I mentioned earlier that I've been (maybe wrongly) conditioned to believe that guys don't like "aggressive" women. So, I just let them know that I'm interested as well, and leave the ball in their court. If they choose to not respond after my wink, I figure they weren't all that interested in the first place and I saved myself some time by not crafting a witty thoughtful e-mail that would have also been ignored.
Yeah... you're right.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post

Yup!
I don't see a problem with winking and why all these people get their panties in a wad over it I don't understand.

I really can't be bothered crafting all these eloquent emails to all these people I haven't met. I wink to let them know I'm interested and they can look at my profile. If they wink back then I figure they liked what they saw and we can take it further.

Why write a bunch of dribble when it turned out they aren't interested?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Why write a bunch of dribble when it turned out they aren't interested?
Because they might become interested should they see some effort, wit, and eloquence.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:20 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Because they might become interested should they see some effort, wit, and eloquence.
Personally, I think winking is an *ok* idea...but more in the guys favor as it expresses physical looks and not personality.

My gf puts a HUGE value on personality and humor, she has pointed out some quite unattractive guys she has dated because they were funny as well as some quite studly guys that were as dull as paste. (Insert joke about me here).

Anyway, I just think that head shots and blurbs are more *looks* oriented and thus imbalanced.

Just speaking for myself, if I got gal to go on a date with me the usual response was that I was "better" than my profile. <shrug> Yay! I set the bar low!

P.S. Editted to add that while I am *guessing* that Sierra is attractive, my bet is that she is more attractive than her picture (whatever that may be) given what I've learned of her personality over the past year or so.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Dunno probably writing and debating on city data is more fun.

Probably if I really got into online dating, I wouldn't be writing long eloquent novels. Most young women can only do that txtspk thing now anyways. Anything more than a sentence is too much information for them.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Personally, I think winking is an *ok* idea...but more in the guys favor as it expresses physical looks and not personality.

My gf puts a HUGE value on personality and humor, she has pointed out some quite unattractive guys she has dated because they were funny as well as some quite studly guys that were as dull as paste. (Insert joke about me here).

Anyway, I just think that head shots and blurbs are more *looks* oriented and thus imbalanced.

Just speaking for myself, if I got gal to go on a date with me the usual response was that I was "better" than my profile. <shrug> Yay! I set the bar low!

P.S. Editted to add that while I am *guessing* that Sierra is attractive, my bet is that she is more attractive than her picture (whatever that may be) given what I've learned of her personality over the past year or so.
I wouldn't take any chances though. I'd have plenty of pics. And an armed Para Rescue team on standby for extraction in case the LZ is "hot".

I need one of those Breitling watches where you pull the pin and a team comes to get you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships