Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

I thought I would toss out this dynamic I have noticed in life.

In a dating relationship or a marriage, the person in the couple that is less in love / less interested usually "controls," meaning they get things their way more often.

Take a look at college dating. The pursuer, assuming they still retained that role later in the relationship, winds up doing most of the work and sacrificing more during the relationship. I had this situation with someone I like in late H.S., during college and that I then saw again at a reunion. I was more interested at all of those junctures. However, when I conveyed "eff you too" at her aloofness after last reconnecting, she then became more interested.

Same thing in marriages, it seems. The person who "needs" the other party more seems to be more apt to be dominated or becomes the "doormat," always seeming to work harder and/or give in more during the course of events. I won't even use descriptions of potential couples because I'll get hit with the "broad brush" accusation again, but then I think patterns are legitimate.

Your take on "the one who loves (likes) 'less' controls"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 02:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I thought I would toss out this dynamic I have noticed in life.

In a dating relationship or a marriage, the person in the couple that is less in love / less interested usually "controls," meaning they get things their way more often.

Take a look at college dating. The pursuer, assuming they still retained that role later in the relationship, winds up doing most of the work and sacrificing more during the relationship. I had this situation with someone I like in late H.S., during college and that I then saw again at a reunion. I was more interested at all of those junctures. However, when I conveyed "eff you too" at her aloofness after last reconnecting, she then became more interested.

Same thing in marriages, it seems. The person who "needs" the other party more seems to be more apt to be dominated or becomes the "doormat," always seeming to work harder and/or give in more during the course of events. I won't even use descriptions of potential couples because I'll get hit with the "broad brush" accusation again, but then I think patterns are legitimate.

Your take on "the one who loves (likes) 'less' controls"?
This is nothing new - it's a concept you learn in Socialogy 101 in college - the person with the least amount of interest in a relationship has the most amount of control in the relationship.

The trick to building a long term sustainable relationship is to be sure you pick a partner you balance out that also balances you out - with no need for "control" on either side. (Of course, you must first face your own control issues and get over them before you are good relationship material yourself).

Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The trick to building a long term sustainable relationship is to be sure you pick a partner you balance out that also balances you out - with no need for "control" on either side.
Correct. Hopefully, we pick our friends as equals, so we should look for spouses/significant others the same way. You can bet that I have being controlled. I don't stick around very long at all. I also have no interest in controlling others.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
It goes back to the availability scenario. The more something is available, the less people clamor for it. The less available something is (in this case, love) the more it is sought after.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
I think there is some truth to this. My grandmother once told me that if I had a choice between marrying someone I was in love with or someone in love with me, choose the one in love with me for this reason.

If the last two years of my marriage are any indicator, there's truth here. I was pretty catered to.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:34 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,102,524 times
This tends to happen allot when a average or ugly person marries an attractive person

Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Well I am not ugly, but right now, my SO seems to be taking advantage of the fact that I love him. At first he was the persuer and the one that would put in his best effort. But then I told him I loved him back and that was like telling him to go ahead and abuse me. Since then, he cant get enough of the head games and power tripping. But I'll work on getting my power back, or just leave him altogether.I want an equal partnership, or one where I have the power, not him.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Correct. Hopefully, we pick our friends as equals, so we should look for spouses/significant others the same way. You can bet that I have being controlled. I don't stick around very long at all. I also have no interest in controlling others.
Looked at this a couple of hours later to check responses.

Typo as I was interrupted at work - should be:

You can bet that I HATE being controlled.

Thanks for the responses that validated what I thought in the first place.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:20 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
I don't know about this. I "control" because my wife has bad decorating sense, tardy, unorganized, does not know more than me because she doesnt surf the net like i do. But I think I'm exactly who she needs and she's exactly who I need

Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Meh.....I say not in every circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships