Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:27 PM

10 posts, read 14,209 times

Advertisements

I need help and lots of advice!!

I am 29 yrs old, married a year, been with my husband 8years. I feel like I need a change!

I have been a nurse for 11years. I live in London and I really want to get out of London, my husband is older than me and wants to settle down out of the city and start a family, I don't and I feel like my marriage is holding me back. I know that sounds terrible.

I have always wanted to move to the states since I was a child but life got in the way, I feel if I don't make the move now while I am still kind of young, I never will. I don't think my husband will come to the states as he has a child here.

Do you think that I am being foolish and too old to be doing this??

Help from a very confused woman!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 01:32 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highland girl View Post
I need help and lots of advice!!

I am 29 yrs old, married a year, been with my husband 8years. I feel like I need a change!

I have been a nurse for 11years. I live in London and I really want to get out of London, my husband is older than me and wants to settle down out of the city and start a family, I don't and I feel like my marriage is holding me back. I know that sounds terrible.

I have always wanted to move to the states since I was a child but life got in the way, I feel if I don't make the move now while I am still kind of young, I never will. I don't think my husband will come to the states as he has a child here.

Do you think that I am being foolish and too old to be doing this??

Help from a very confused woman!!
Did you REALLY have a down to earth talk with him on this?

Do you LOVE each other?

You didn't mention if you have any children between you two which if so figures in the mix.

That's where I'd start.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:36 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
First of all you should have had this discussion with your husband long ago. You should have let him know your desires and dreams long before now. Despite that, the fact of the matter is you are married now and unhappy. I would sit your husband down and tell him how you feel. You may be surprised how he reacts, and you may not, but he will know, and you will know how he feels. If he will not leave and you feel this is something you must do now, then you know your decision. If you do not feel ready for children yet, don't jump into that, a child is forever. Likewise if you are truly unhappy in your marriage it will not do wither of you any good to remain married. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:41 PM

No I don't have any children, he has a child from a prev relationship! Yes I agree I should of had this discusiion years ago, but I met him when I was 21, very young. we have discussed it and he has told me point blank he doesn't want to move out there. I do love him, but I also know I would survive without him!

Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Now is the best time to make a clean break - while you don't have any children.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highland girl View Post
No I don't have any children, he has a child from a prev relationship! Yes I agree I should of had this discusiion years ago, but I met him when I was 21, very young. we have discussed it and he has told me point blank he doesn't want to move out there. I do love him, but I also know I would survive without him!
Then you have a very simple decision to make. Would you rather move to the states or keep your husband?

Old 07-11-2009, 01:51 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Keep in mind you can't just up and move to the states. Unless your already a US citizen. You can maybe get a tourist visa for up to 90 days or something...but you can't just move here.
You may want to check out the "legal immigration" forum. The first thread contains links to USCIS and Visa Department which will give you info for visiting or immigrating.

Best of luck to ya.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:52 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Then you have a very simple decision to make. Would you rather move to the states or keep your husband?
I agree but only after she REALLY REALLY has a down to earth talk about it with her husband.

I cannot advise that decision for her.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,181,993 times
So you want to give up your entire life and husband to move to the states for something you think is here that is greater than what you have!
Sounds like your very unhappy over something that you haven't told us about. Either way you need to work that out yourself.
Grass is always, always greener here in the states didn't you hear that! Yeah right, no disrespect intended please. What would you do here that would more than take the place of your first 30 years of existance, a husband and a career? Hope you plan way ahead for you journey

Old 07-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Difficult though - do I stay with someone I love, or regret doing what I always wanted to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships