Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,156 times

Advertisements

Like i said in a different thread i got a best friend thats a girl and i feel like she is my little sister...but girlfriends or the ladies i've dated dont like the idea of girl bestfriend...

Do you allow your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife to have close friends of opposite sex...

also might want to add that the opposite sex person is also straight..
i know alot of guys don't have problem with gay guy being close friends with their girlfriend/wife or vice versa

discuss.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:53 PM

573 posts, read 1,689,426 times
It's not a matter of "allowing". I allow anybody I date to be friends with who they wish, because I don't control their lives to that degree. But I see your point. I think I might be a little suspicious if a boyfriend started a new friendship with a girl....but almost any guy I've dated has had a close friend that was a girl.

I have one tight girlfriend, and three best guy friends. Any guy I've dated has welcomed the guy friends with open arms. A few of my exes have actually maintained friendships with my guy friends after the break up....grrrr.....lol

Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
A few of my exes have actually maintained friendships with my guy friends after the break up....grrrr.....lol
I wouldnt like if a ex-girlfriend of mine maintained a friendship with my guy friends ...wouldnt mind it as much if she mainitained it with my female friends.

but i think this whole topic is different for people who are just dating and people who are married....

Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I have a lot of men that are friends, but I have to be careful and watch the boundaries with straight men. Whether they admit it or not, they often have other ideas in mind, usually related to sex.

I've seen women try to turn a straight guy into a surrogate girlfriend and it usually ends badly when the guy ends up feeling used. Some straight guys like to be "friends" with attractive women because it boosts their egos.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
Like i said in a different thread i got a best friend thats a girl and i feel like she is my little sister...but girlfriends or the ladies i've dated dont like the idea of girl bestfriend...

Do you allow your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife to have close friends of opposite sex...

i know alot of guys don't have problem with gay guy being close friends with their girlfriend/wife or vice versa

discuss.
Yes, but she better learn how to play her position now that I'm on the scene, which means, don't be calling and texting him, all willy nilly, like before, when he was a single man, asking to go out, come over, or asking what he's doing, or whatever the case may be. I am not with that.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:11 AM

283 posts, read 738,296 times
That's a toughie. My best friend is a gay man, so my husband has no problems with our close bond. But, I gave up the close relationships I had with my straight male friends once I was married, and my husband did the same with his female friends. That is not to say that we do not see them as a couple (most of them are married now, so they too do things more with their spouses), but I don't go rafting with my hetero friend John alone for the day like I would have when I was single. It is just out of respect for my husband and our comfort levels.

Last edited by jeninmt; 06-25-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninmt View Post
That's a toughie. My best friend is a gay man, so my husband has no problems with our close bond. But, I gave up the close relationships I had with my straight male friends once I was married, and my husband did the same with his female friends. That is not to say that we do not see them as a couple (most of them are married now, so they too do things more with their spouses), but I don't go rafting with my friend John alone for the day like I would have when I was single. It is just out of respect for my husband and our comfort levels.

What?

You wouldn't go rafting with your gay friend John?

There is a funy joke here somewhere....

You saying you in a bikini could change this man?

Maybe he is fakin just to be with you.

This is all confusin.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:23 AM

283 posts, read 738,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post

What?

You wouldn't go rafting with your gay friend John?

There is a funy joke here somewhere....

You saying you in a bikini could change this man?

Maybe he is fakin just to be with you.

This is all confusin.
John would be my completely hetero friend from high school.
I would gladly take Richard (my gay BFF) rafting for the day and my husband would think nothing of it.
Hope that clears it up.

ETA: If you met Richard, you would understand there is NO fakin' it on his part.
He would be more inclined to be in the bikini.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:24 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post

discuss.

It's a good way to find casual sex and then say, "it just happened, ta know".

Old 06-25-2009, 08:50 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,385 times
It's not possible for me, if I am good friends with a woman it's usually becuase I like them and just waiting for a chance, or we're friend's with benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships