Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:08 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times

Advertisements

Divorce rate (most recent) by country

Why are we nearly 4 times more like to divorce than people in other advanced countries like Italy, Portugal, etc? The next lowest country (excluding PR, which is a US commonwealth) is still one third lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 05:15 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,176 times
Too many shotguns in circulation?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:18 PM

865 posts, read 2,431,466 times
1. Divorces here are easily obtainable
2. No social stigma attached
3. Women may be more financially independant
4. Cheating is not considered a culturally acceptable thing

Some of the things off the top of my head.....

Old 01-30-2010, 05:31 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,603,683 times
This is the "all about ME, ME, ME generation"

Old 01-30-2010, 06:02 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
1. Divorces here are easily obtainable
2. No social stigma attached
3. Women may be more financially independant
4. Cheating is not considered a culturally acceptable thing

Some of the things off the top of my head.....

DGF, while these are excellent points, a couple of them need more fleshing out to be more objective.

1. Divorces here ARE more easily obtainable. That much is inarguable, other than the fact that it ties into the others.

2. No social stigma attached. This has a great deal to do with family values in other countries. People are raised with the idea that family actually means something, and this ties in with so many aspects of cultural differences.
  • In other countries it's nothing for kids to live with their parents until such time as they marry, which is typically left until close to graduation from university. In our country kids are encouraged to get out on their own as soon as possible, often with parents practically kicking them out.
  • Kids staying with parents longer allows for a lot closer relationship because kids aren't striking out on their own ASAP, they're around the folks consistently at an age when they're old enough to really start questioning a lot of practical aspects of the world -- making for more mature adults by the time they strike out.
  • Because these "family values" are cultural, the entire society views them as relatively important -- to the point that even when legal marriage is viewed as less and less necessary, young couples who move in with one another are viewed by families as "couples" and encouraged to work out their differences. Alternately, because we take couples and marriage so lightly, the moment there's trouble we encourage people to cut and run.
  • This still ties back in -- and I just KNOW someone is going to jump on the notion of abuse -- but since American women are more financially independent they're NOT strongly encouraged to work things out, they're encouraged, even pressured, to get what they can and leave. That alone makes for a less cooperative partnership since the option of leaving is so readily available and easy to do, even advantageous.
  • Speaking of abuse, while it certainly happens, it's viewed as a thing NOT to be tolerated. People WILL try to mind their own business, but not with the "everybody, just look away, if we ignore it then it's not really happening" atmosphere one experiences here WHEN one is not dealing with those who instantly scream abuse. During my travels (some may argue, but this was certainly MY experience) the majority of families I encountered would deal with issues of abuse by gathering together, women talking to women, men talking to men. In the case of the men, forcefully if need be.
There are more but that covers enough of that for now.

3. Cheating is not a culturally acceptable thing.

That one is hard to argue.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:21 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,947,750 times
Some women have too much to say.

We don't need to hear everything that you are thinking. It really makes us guys view you in a lower intellectual level when you do.

Fights then happen and the rest is history.

People need to keep their mouths shut and keep their opinions to themselves sometimes.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:24 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,404,793 times
There is a culture of divorce in this country. Courts and lawyers make way too much off of it to not make it easy and cool to do.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Divorce rate (most recent) by country

Why are we nearly 4 times more like to divorce than people in other advanced countries like Italy, Portugal, etc? The next lowest country (excluding PR, which is a US commonwealth) is still one third lower.
Well, in all honesty, indiscretions and even perpetual infidelity while being married is a way of life in many countries. Also, in many countries women can't make it on their own financially.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,733 times
Hmmmm, I wonder why?????????????????????????

Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,334 times
I think most Americans think marriage is a joke and they'd rather just walk away from their marriage rather than work through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships