Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times

Advertisements

But I'm not sure I want to spend the rest of my life with my girl. She's already thinking about family once we're both settled down... I really don't want to be tied down. I have bigger goals than taking care of a couple of snot-nosed kids.

She flips out any time I bring up the mere concept we want different things.

We both love one another, but she wants to crank out babies and start a family right away and I'm not ready. I may not ever be.

She's always said her dream was to have a family though.

What to do? :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
IMHO, it's just not going to work for the two of you. You can't expect her to chage the way she feels about having children. And she can't expect you to change either. And unless you agree on such a huge issue, how can you have a future together?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 PM

To me it doesn't even seem like a huge issue but I know to her it is... I don't get it... It seems every girl wants to just have kid after kid. There are no women who want to get out there and live and see things and not put ones time and money into something you get nothing tangible from.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
So she's talking family but you don't want to be tied down. This isn't just exhaustion talking, it's the the oldest, most fundamental, most irreconcilable incompatibility issue of them all. Can't tell you what to do, but IMO it's time to sit down and sort out with your GF whether there's any point to continuing the relationship.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM

There's no chance of her outgrowing it? What if I get a vasectomy? :P

Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
This is a situation you cannot win. You are not at a point in your life where your goals are in synch with what a committed relationship is all about. The whole idea of a relationship is to explore each other with marriage and procreation in mind.

Some people don't want that, but honestly they are much in the minority. Accept that fact and be open and honest with her. It will likely destroy any chances you have to stay with her, but is it fair to her to keep her hopes up when there is no chance you will fulfill her needs?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
To me it doesn't even seem like a huge issue but I know to her it is... I don't get it...
Let me try to explain then: you're fundamentally getting what you want out of the relationship and she's not. You don't want to be tied down and you're not -- you've apparently made no commitment so can leave at any time with a clean conscience. She wants to be tied down but she isn't -- she knows you can leave any time you want because there's no promise holding you back. See why that seems like a much bigger deal to her than to you?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:30 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Seroiusly? What do you think?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
you've apparently made no commitment so can leave at any time with a clean conscience.
I've put years of my life into my relationship with her, and more emotion that I can begin to describe.

I really shouldn't have made this thread... The thought of leaving her kills me... Sorry for wasting your time.

Even if I have to be poor, overworked, and oversee a couple of ungrateful slobs for the rest of my life, at least I'll have her, I guess.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Uhm, you generally don't "outgrow" the most powerful instinct known to the animal kingdom and one that is necessary for the continuation of mankind as if it were some rebellious phase.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a miracle you've managed to hold on to her for however long you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships