Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:16 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

This thread is an offshoot of another thread that I started yesterday. This issue is something that I have long been at odds with and I was wondering what other people's thoughts would be on the subject.

My friend was having a long term affair with a married man. She is married and cannot stand her husband, but had no intentions of leaving him due to insecurity issues, financially and otherwise. The guy that she was carrying on the affair with was married for ten years or more and had no intentions of leaving his wife. In fact, midway through my friend's realtionship with him, she found out via a third party that he and his wife had just adopted a child. He told my friend that he was going on vacation while he was actually finalizing out of state adoption procedures. When I heard this, it was more than clear to me that he had no intentions of ending his marriage. Getting pregnant is one thing, but going out of your way to add a child to your family is quite a statement. My friend got pissed off that he did not tell her and argued with him about it, but she was satisfied with the status quo as she would not leave her hubby anyway. It seemd to me that as long as she was stuck, she was satisfied that the guy was also stuck.

My point is, the guy is a dog, but wasn't it selfish on my friends part to continue the affair knowing full well that the guy's wife was oblivious to their shenanigans and attempting to have a real family by adopting a child? This was not just a fling, this went on for ten years. Six years before the adoption and for a few years after. As a woman, shouldn't she have had more compassion and empathy for the guy's wife? Maybe I'm being too judgmental, but this is one of the reasons that I supected my friend of having narcissistic tendencies. She also would insist that if she ever left her husband, the guy would have the urge to leave his wife for her. I did not agree, but never dared to tell her that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:24 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
My thoughts: Three billion fish in the sea, and she can't find a more suitable one?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:26 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This thread is an offshoot of another thread that I started yesterday. This issue is something that I have long been at odds with and I was wondering what other people's thoughts would be on the subject.

My friend was having a long term affair with a married man. She is married and cannot stand her husband, but had no intentions of leaving him due to insecurity issues, financially and otherwise. The guy that she was carrying on the affair with was married for ten years or more and had no intentions of leaving his wife. In fact, midway through my friend's realtionship with him, she found out via a third party that he and his wife had just adopted a child. He told my friend that he was going on vacation while he was actually finalizing out of state adoption procedures. When I heard this, it was more than clear to me that he had no intentions of ending his marriage. Getting pregnant is one thing, but going out of your way to add a child to your family is quite a statement. My friend got pissed off that he did not tell her and argued with him about it, but she was satisfied with the status quo as she would not leave her hubby anyway. It seemd to me that as long as she was stuck, she was satisfied that the guy was also stuck.

My point is, the guy is a dog, but wasn't it selfish on my friends part to continue the affair knowing full well that the guy's wife was oblivious to their shenanigans and attempting to have a real family by adopting a child? This was not just a fling, this went on for ten years. Six years before the adoption and for a few years after. As a woman, shouldn't she have had more compassion and empathy for the guy's wife? Maybe I'm being too judgmental, but this is one of the reasons that I supected my friend of having narcissistic tendencies. She also would insist that if she ever left her husband, the guy would have the urge to leave his wife for her. I did not agree, but never dared to tell her that.
Your friend has issues. <shrug>

Old 02-04-2010, 12:26 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,691 times
Quote:
As a woman, shouldn't she have had more compassion and empathy for the guy's wife? Maybe I'm being too judgmental, but this is one of the reasons that I supected my friend of having narcissistic tendencies. She also would insist that if she ever left her husband, the guy would have the urge to leave his wife for her. I did not agree, but never dared to tell her that.
I guess her husbands feelings on this matter is irrelevant, eh?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
My thoughts: Three billion fish in the sea, and she can't find a more suitable one?
I was also going to add that if she cannot stand her husband enough to cheat on him for so long, she should leave him. She'd love to meet another guy since her affair with the married one petered out, but my point was, is it right to do that to another guy's wife? I really symapthized with the woman and didn't even know her.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,367 times
An old friend of mine is in a somewhat similar situation. She has been seeing a married man for about 3 years now. He gives her expensive presents (I am talking Gucci purses) and takes her on luxurious vacation. She has developed serious feelings towards him (he says he has too, but I seriously doubt that). Not only does he still sleep with his wife, but also with other women, when out of town for business (they work together, so she hears about his escapades from other co-workers).

She started dating a nice guy about a year ago. He has no idea what's going on. Now THAT I don't get. I mean I don't get or condone any of her doings, but THAT I REALLY don't get. Why would you even start a relationship, if you're with someone else?A NEW relationship! I understand when people are ALREADY with someone - someone they're unhappy with, but can't bring themselves to leave. But start something new? That's retarded, I am sorry.

I can't believe she's doing this, and honestly, I don't even know if I still consider her a friend (and we've been friends for 25 years now, since we were 3). I just can't keep listening to her men stories anymore.

Don't really have advice for you, but wanted to share. Good luck! It's hard to be friends with people, who do such things.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
I guess her husbands feelings on this matter is irrelevant, eh?
I came back to edit and did make reference in my next post. That actually bugged me too.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,367 times
Quote:
As a woman, shouldn't she have had more compassion and empathy for the guy's wife?
Exactly! I always say - if women would stick together, men wouldn't be able to cheat. Unless, of course, they hide the fact they're taken/married. Which many of them do anyway.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
I don't think you're being too judgmental. The man is married and he's cheating on his wife. That alone shows he's not trustworthy. If his own wife can't trust him, then why should the woman he's having an affair with trust him? Narcissist isn't the word I would use to describe your friend in this situation. Instead, I would just call her unbelievably stupid. If he's cheating on his wife with you, then how do you know he's not cheating with someone else too? His word? Like that counts for anything. This is why I'll never understand people who have affairs with married people. Before the affair's even started, it's been established that the other person is a liar. I guess the lesson your friend should've learned is that if you're going to have an affair, have it with someone who isn't also married. But I personally could not be friends with someone cheats on their spouse regardless of whether the person they're cheating with is also married or not. I started a thread on this and it elicited strong opinions.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:34 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
Exactly! I always say - if women would stick together, men wouldn't be able to cheat. Unless, of course, they hide the fact they're taken/married. Which many of them do anyway.
Yeah, but she has a husband, and she is a cheating ***** [no offence to the OP]. So she's just as bad as he is. And he's a ***** as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships