Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthcomesout View Post
If a man and woman are getting to know each other or to see if they want to get to know each other, shouldn't the man and woman get separate checks and pay for what they ate and drank? Isn't that only fair?
Lets see, You see a woman's profile, you send her an email, chat her up, then ask her out...and want her to pay for the privilage to go out with you?

dont get out much, aye

Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
I never did mind paying a long as she was appreciative, as in gracious. However, if she came off as if I owed it to her she got her free ride for the evening, after that she would need to look elsewhere.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM

865 posts, read 2,432,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthcomesout View Post
If a woman isn't going to be into the guy, then she should pay for meal, drink, coffee, or etc. That usually applies to blind dates. It makes the woman look or man look bad if he or she allows his or her date to pay for both meals unless there is a common interest.

Ex.

If a woman goes on a blind date with a dude, but when she see the dude she feels that he looks like a wildebeest. He best two moral options would be to cancel the date, or to continue with the date, but pay her part of the bill even if the guy insist. If the guy insist, then just tell him "Hey, you're not my type, and I would feel like wrong if I allowed you to pay my portion of the bill".

What you are asserting is that there is some kind of obligation that the woman has, if the man pays. He is only supposed to pay for her meal, if she wants to have a relationship with him?

I agree, that if they are meeting for the 1st time, whether she wants to see him again or not, they should split the bill. It keeps things a little more neutral for both parties. That is what "I" would do. However, you will meet women that will expect the man to pick the tab up. That is true. That's why I would suggest meeting for coffee first. That way, if she runs away screaming from the wildebeest, at least the tab isn't too much. And if she doesn't, you can think about if a $100 dinner would be in your near future with her.

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I hear the creme brulee is really good.
It's better when it's to-go.

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
I will have a stab at answering your question.

The custom of the man paying when dating or courting goes back thousands of years and was meant to demonstrate the man could, not to mention willing, to provide.

Ladies, if the man suggests you pay for your meal when dating dump him now he is worthless as a prospective mate. If he isn't willing to pay for a $20 meal when courting how will this cheap, selfish moron be as a provider (that is bringing home the food and providing the shelter) when babies have happened and his costs go up 100 fold?

The short answer is he won't stick around. Selfish men never do because it is always about them.

My old fashioned thoughts on dating.

Ladies, don't bother looking for Mr. Right concentrating instead of being Miss Right and Mr. Right will find you. Never settle, it is better to live alone forever than to settle.

When Mr. Right shows up make sure he is of the character that will keep him by you for the long run. You got to seriously ask yourself if this is the guy you want to spend the rest of your life with and if not them dump him. Time is precious so don't waste any of it.

Gentlemen, sex don't last but cooking does. I am not knocking sex at all, it's great, but you are an idiot if you allow sex to be at the top of the list because more important things will come along.

Like your children. What you should ask is "what kind of mother will the lady be to your children?" Is she lazy or energetic?

Would you have her as your best friend ever? Very important question because if you can be best friends great sex will happen.

Is she level headed with money? Nothing ends love faster than the bill collector showing up at the house.

And ladies, never, ever move in and live with a guy hoping that marriage might happen. 90% of the time it is a bad move so don't play house without a ring.

Ladies, is the man a wounded duck? Dump him, you can not repair wounded ducks and your love will not cure laziness, drunkenness or a drug abuser. With marriage and children you can bet chances are he will just get worse.

Has the man ever been physically threatening even if he hasn't hurt you? Dump that bastard yesterday. Tell him to find someone dumb to beat up on.

Think long term because what is important today will not be so important ten or twenty years from now. Long term.

But then idiot women deserve idiot men.

I've been married for 35 years and my biggest single accomplishment in life will be when my wife nears 90 at the end of her life she is able to honestly say "I am happy I married that man 65 years ago."

I think modern society has lost much of what marriage really means. Males and females both have lost what it means. Sad really.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
I hear the creme brulee is really good.

I will accept nothing less than cheesecake for my services.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 PM

272 posts, read 286,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Lets see, You see a woman's profile, you send her an email, chat her up, then ask her out...and want her to pay for the privilage to go out with you?

dont get out much, aye

When I did date, I was the one who got asked out. I still get asked out by women, but I turn them down, because I no longer want to be in a relationship. However if they want to come to my place to have sex, my frig is always full of imported beer. I am always stocked up on wine. I have no problems ordering takeout, and Xbox Live/Netflix, and I have Satellite TV with a pretty decent package that is hooked up to a 52 inch plasma screen.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
No. That was the finals straw for me. I'm re-organizing NO MA'AM.
It's nice to know I have an impact in someone's life.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM

52,274 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I will accept nothing less than cheesecake for my services.
LOL, classy dame huh???

Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
LOL, classy dame huh???

Ya gotta have standards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships