Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 PM

190 posts, read 466,161 times

Advertisements

I envy my brother. The guy is probably the least religious person you could ever meet and yet he can be surrounded on a regular basis by extremely religious people like his wife and in laws while they are constantly sniping at him for his beliefs. they’ll be spitting out a bunch of praise this Jesus that and the guy just stands there like a champ with a smile on his face when I know he thinks everything that these people base there lives on is BS. How does he do it? I'm around these people for 10 minutes in a social setting and I want to punch most of them in the face.
But to be honest I wish I had the ability to just shut my mouth like my brother when people start talking about religion. I think if I could it would make dating a whole lot easier especially since I’m getting ready to move to Texas but I guess my question is do you think that's healthy in a relationship?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,389,323 times
I guess it depends on people's tolerance. It would NEVER work for me.

Automatic dealbreaker.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,975,057 times
It usually becomes very complicated when it becomes necessary to pick one faith for the consistancy of raising the children. This is something best figured out well before marriage. While the OP's brother may not share his wife's views it appears evident that he respects her right to have them and thus, also respects his wife.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:26 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
OBVIOUSLY this depends entirely on the people involved. If it works for them, then it works. How can you possibly make a call on whether that is healthy or not, when that is something that is completely up to the 2 people involved??

Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,025,612 times
You can't stand being around religious talk and you're moving here to Texas?????!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha

Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 PM

2,031 posts, read 5,040,265 times
Pretty much a deal breaker.. i used to be involved with my church..and have gone to different friends churches..of different christian faiths..and always wanted out as quickly as possible...

Yes, lol while i can restrain my temper, the thought of punching some of these people in the face has crossed my mind once in a great while...But, if i did so, they would win..and my objective in such circumstances is never to allow such opinions to get the best of me..i just remind myself that they believe what they believe because they are afraid of looking at it all from their own perspective...instead of hanging on every word spoken by the guy holding the rattlesnakes lol..

Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Not a problem for me. I'm Catholic. My wife is Buddhist. She attends Mass with me and say she always gets something out of it.

Once, years ago, she said something disparaging about an element of my faith and I drew her up short real fast. She apologized and that's never been repeated.

So far it's worked quite well for 13+ years. It helps if both are open-minded.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Pretty much a deal breaker.. i used to be involved with my church..and have gone to different friends churches..of different christian faiths..and always wanted out as quickly as possible...

Yes, lol while i can restrain my temper, the thought of punching some of these people in the face has crossed my mind once in a great while...But, if i did so, they would win..and my objective in such circumstances is never to allow such opinions to get the best of me..i just remind myself that they believe what they believe because they are afraid of looking at it all from their own perspective...instead of hanging on every word spoken by the guy holding the rattlesnakes lol:D..
And that clearly illustrates your perspective.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:51 PM

2,031 posts, read 5,040,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And that clearly illustrates your perspective.
Yep, after everything i saw after my youth pastor called me a Bastard in front of 15 other people..i pretty much knew that organized religion was a waste of time..and a load of bs.. Being spiritual is much better..and probably much closer to what i believe is the truth..organized religion is more about segregating..and money..then what it is to be in the image of our creator..I will never force my children to believe that sort of hog wash..

Old 02-09-2010, 09:56 PM

190 posts, read 466,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You can't stand being around religious talk and you're moving here to Texas?????!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahaha
it's for work and a lot of rural texas to my surprise is actualy not much more religious than were I'm at if you take the minorities out of the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships