Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
I never knew alot of men and women felt this way..If I find out that a guy I'm feeling has a girlfriend, I'll move on.. but my friends and peers (both men and women) think that they're still fair game..especially if the girlfriend is someone unknown.

I swear sometimes I feel like I was born on Neptune

What do you think, and please be honest?
I'd definitely move on. If a chick has a boyfriend but it still willing to accept my number and consider me, then she's not of the character/integrity level that I would want to be with. If I were to find out a woman was in a relationship, I would NOT pursue her.

This "free game until they are married" crap is for those of lower moral fiber and character.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
No ring, no commitment, no nothing.

You are single or you are married, there is no in-between. Until you pledge your vows you are single and have no commitment to anyone. Fair game all the way around.

20yrsinBranson
I totally disagree. You can have commitment without marriage.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I totally disagree. You can have commitment without marriage.
I would use that term in the context of a pledge or a promise. The only pledge or promise that I am aware of that single people give to each other is "we will stay together until we don't want to any more". It does not sound like much of a pledge or promise to me.

A commitment, as I define it is standing in front of family and friends and speaking the worlds that you will LOVE, HONOR AND OBEY (or something similar YMMV) THROUGH SICKNESS AND HEALTH, IN GOOD TIMES AND BAD, FOR RICHER FOR POORER, UNTIL DEATH DO YOU PART.

That, my friend is a commitment. Not, "if it doesn't work out".

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-20-2010, 05:38 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,619,542 times
OK folks, how about this scenario - a chick is with a guy who treats her like dirt. You see it, everyone sees it. She doesn't like it.

You want her.

What then? Do you "respect the relationship" or do you charge in on your white horse?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
OK folks, how about this scenario - a chick is with a guy who treats her like dirt. You see it, everyone sees it. She doesn't like it.

You want her.

What then? Do you "respect the relationship" or do you charge in on your white horse?
No white horse. Just give her you number and say, "I'm interested. If you want to be taken out by a real man who will treat you like a lady, give me a call."

Then it's up to her.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:01 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,045 times
Quote:
I would use that term in the context of a pledge or a promise. The only pledge or promise that I am aware of that single people give to each other is "we will stay together until we don't want to any more". It does not sound like much of a pledge or promise to me.

A commitment, as I define it is standing in front of family and friends and speaking the worlds that you will LOVE, HONOR AND OBEY (or something similar YMMV) THROUGH SICKNESS AND HEALTH, IN GOOD TIMES AND BAD, FOR RICHER FOR POORER, UNTIL DEATH DO YOU PART.

That, my friend is a commitment. Not, "if it doesn't work out".

20yrsinBranson
Then why do so many married people get divorced? I agree, you don't have to be married to have commitment.

People would like to think that marriage equals fidelity, faithfulness, etc. And yes fine, that is the ideal, but is it reality? Sadly no.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:

You are single or you are married, there is no in-between. Until you pledge your vows you are single and have no commitment to anyone. Fair game all the way around.

20yrsinBranson
I agree. Many people are in some relationship by the second date but the one they're with is not "the one". Morally there is nothing at all wrong with dating someone who isn't married. People don't own each other and as long as there is no committment, there is no committment.

I think it's silly to act like it's adultery when there is no adultery.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I'd definitely move on. If a chick has a boyfriend but it still willing to accept my number and consider me, then she's not of the character/integrity level that I would want to be with. If I were to find out a woman was in a relationship, I would NOT pursue her.

This "free game until they are married" crap is for those of lower moral fiber and character.
What sin are they supposedly committing?

I think it's stupid today how if someone makes a second date with someone, they are supposedly committed for life to that person and why can't people "play the field" and find their best life mate?

A dating relationship is not a committment, certainly isn't if one would choose to go out with someone else. Obviously if you ask a woman out and she says yes, she was NOT in a committed relationship and since she's not married, there is no adultery. If a man with a girlfriend asks another woman out, he wasn't in a committed relationship and he's unmarried so yes, he's free to date around.

How smart it is -- that's another matter because often rebound relationships don't work and people who hop from person to person often aren't very together.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
The ex was engaged to someone else, but hid the fact, when I returned from overseas and swept her off her feet. Once I discovered the fact I backed off for a short time and then came roaring back and ended up "winning" her. We were married for 25 years before she found the fescue more verdant elsewhere. It was the biggest mistake in my fairly long life.

My wife had been divorced for 18 year and took herself totally out of circulation for the last 12 before I asked her out. Decidedly fair game!

After these two, divergent experiences, taken is taken whether married or already dating someone. In neither case would I wish to interfere or become involved. Rarely can any good come of it. If she's interested in me then the prior relationship has to end first, and not because of me.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
I don't agree with that, either. Dating someone and not being married isn't the same thing as being available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships