Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,445,455 times

Advertisements

This is getting serious and I need serious advice. If you can't contribute anything positive without being rude or negative towards me, please do not respond. I'm at my wits end here...

The ex and I separated 6 months ago. I packed my car up with as much stuff as I could and shipped down 22 boxes via Fed Ex with all my belongings or what I had left. I sold/left everything in the house except for his bedroom set and a dining room table and misc kitchen stuff. I lost thousands and thousands of dollars as I had purchased all that stuff myself. Now I had to leave some things up there as I didn't have room in my car: Romero Britto Serigraph professionally framed (very large), a very, very large original horse painting, Dyson vaccum, LG surround sound, misc. clothing and my shotgun. Now I had contacted him two weeks ago to let him know that last Sunday (21st) I was going to drive up there and get my remaining stuff. We agreed and I told him I would call him Sunday to confirm everything. He never answered phone on Sunday or Monday so I didn't drive up there because I didn't know what was going on and I was going to drive 1000 miles without knowing a solid answer. He finally called me Wed and I was like I was going to go up there and now I can't. (I had orientation for a new job on Sunday, 28th) Plus the weather up there wasn't good anyways late in the week.

So he told me that he got fired from his job so he can collect unemployment (please lets not go there) and attend photography school in April. I'm like since you have no job and nothing to do for the ENTIRE month of March, can you please drive the stuff down and see your mom too. (he hasn't seen her since Turkey Day of 2008). He refuses to drive down and tells me to go up there and get my stuff. Well now I can't as I start work Sunday and it took me months and months to get a job so I'm NOT blowing it. I called him numerous times as I need copies of the new insurance id cards and he's not responding to calls or texts.

He finally responds tonight. He told me that he will not drive down here as he's got no money. I asked him where his $4000 in tax refund money went and he told me its none of my business. (he owes me $15000) He told me to come up there. I told him I can't due to me actually having a job and since he has nothing better to do, then why can't he bring it down. I even offered to reimburse him for gas/hotel. He said he would bring it down in summer when he has a three week break from school and I asked why can't he do it now??? I cannot guarantee that he's even going to attend school. He said he would get a quote on shipping the Britto, vaccum, surround and clothing and would hold onto the gun and the big painting until I could come up there. I started getting pissed at this point where he then said "I'll drive down there tonight and beat your Fing ass you Fing "C"!!"

I couldn't believe it. I do NOT know who this person is. He never, ever spoke to me like that nor threatened me..Here's my question: Do I have any legal recourse to get my stuff?? As soon as I have confirmation from UPS/Fed ex that my stuff is being shipped (minus horse painting), I"m contacting the police to report my shotgun stolen. I cannot have that gun, which is registered in MY NAME, in this house with him and 3 strangers living in it. Who knows what could happen with it???

Now this is stuff I AM NOT willing to part with. Those paintings were purchased for me from my rich ex. I financially cannot replace them and do not want to. They are basically all I have left besides the boxes sitting in a storage unit. At this point, I'm afraid he has sold my paintings...Any advice is really appreicated here...I really do not know what to do at this point..

Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,160 times
If the items were purchased before you two moved in together, by law they belong to you. If they were purchased while you both were playing house, then good luck. It's a crapshoot. I wouldn't expect this guy to drive them to you, however.

Depending on the value of the painting, you are probably looking at small claims court...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
If it's your stuff of course you have legal rights to it. Get up there, call the police, and get your stuff, report the other stuff stolen if he sold it. What makes that so difficult?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 PM

The painting and shotgun were mine before we got together. The other stuff I purchased (in my cc name) during relationship specially towards the last year.

The paintings are well over $5000K each so I think small claims court is out.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
If it's your stuff of course you have legal rights to it. Get up there, call the police, and get your stuff, report the other stuff stolen if he sold it. What makes that so difficult?

What is difficult is that over a week ago I could have gotten the stuff. Now I cannot. Now he can come down here but he refuses to. Also, I have tried numerous, numerous times to get ahold of him over the past six months to go up there and get my stuff. He simply wouldn't answer my phone calls or texts.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
The painting and shotgun were mine before we got together. The other stuff I purchased (in my cc name) during relationship specially towards the last year.

The paintings are well over $5000K each so I think small claims court is out.
If you were living together you are going to have a really hard time retrieving all your items regardless of how they were purchased, that is just the way the courts work. However, you could probably get some back and definitely any items which belonged to you previous to living with him.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,437 times
Maybe you should consult a lawyer. You could probably get back the items before the relationship and maybe even the money he owes you, if there is enough concrete proof.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. I am sorry you have to go through a situation like this.

5,879 posts, read 9,253,828 times
I am not an expert on the other goods but I am on the shotgun! That is yours and you filled out the 4473 on it. Make him give it back or report it to the Police! Rugged!

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Don't know the guy but he sounds like he may have developed a drug problem and blowing through some cash. I'd bet that at this point he has turned your stuff into cash and it maybe way to late to retrieve.

I may be totally wrong but maybe not.

This may be one of life's lessons that cost you a bunch of money.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 PM

851 posts, read 3,627,412 times
This is blowing away out of proportion. If it is your stuff, you need to plan and go get them yourself. Your ex has no obligation to accommodate you in anyway - you are lucky that he hasn't start to charge you storage fee.

If I were you, I would say how about I pay you (your ex) $200 for your (your ex's) inconvenience so that you will be there when I am there to pick up my stuff. Then make your trip to get your stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships