Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Just remember that what you think is attractive in another woman is not necessarily what men would find attractive.
THIS is a very good point. I would always wince in my single days when some gal would say I "just had to meet her GORGEOUS friend" - who would typically turn out not so appealing *to me*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
you want a glimpse of nonsense, do a screen capture of the post I just quoted here...

an abstraction doesnt mean that there arent exceptions to absoluteness....and ed gein was a not so absolute exception to your former statement...to put it in abstract terms -- a mere inconsistency within the theory of absoluteness
solytaire,
an abstraction doesnt mean that there arent exceptions to absoluteness..
???

What does this mean? It has nothing to do with what I am saying. Abstractions do not exist, axiomatically. Thus dissecting abstractions into divergent gray realities is just different slices of nothing. When an actual context is defined, its either this or that, good or bad, no grays. A "gray" is only a human abstraction lacking a context. That is why when I cross the street, it is not bitter sweet to be run over by a bus. Its simply bad for me. Now if you conjure a story my hospital visit prevented me from taking an airplane that crashed, you have made a hypothetical abstraction that has no existence in reality. If it were true then the hospital stay would be unequivocally good.

Both of you are infected with that concept that words are anything more than communication and relation. All words are abstractions yet the statement that there is no right or wrong, being itself and assertion of right, should eventually make this apparent. Relativism is a product of language.

Now the real test of any philosophical view is this. Live it. If you can't live it, it worthless. If relativism really exists, and there is only gray, then the justice system is an abhorrence. Empty the prisons. Then I shall believe you.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The answer my friends is due to the nature of alcohol on the male brain. Because I was once a young man myself I can only relate my personal experiences. The only requirement is that it is necessary for this attraction to occur if the woman in question happens to be in close proximity to the intoxicated male. If the male is sufficiently intoxicated he would gladly start up a conversation with Lorena Bobbitt or Lizzie Borden. The only necessity is that she must be a member of the female persuasion. On any typical weekend evening at any club or bar in the world it is very likely that a young fairly good looking man is going to exit this establishment at closing time with a wildebeest under his arm and will awaken the next morning with a severe hangover and find himself lying naked to an unclothed beast of the field. Yes, it's tragic but it happens all the time.
True. The "good" girls left with their friends and the girls left really do get prettier at closing time. It doesn't matter how bad the wildebeast is - she will seem like a conquest when a conquest must be made.

A friend of mine said he woke up next to a hideous ton of lard and actually prayed that morning begging God to have made him impotent the night before.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
solytaire,
???

What does this mean? It has nothing to do with what I am saying. Abstractions do not exist, axiomatically. Thus dissecting abstractions into divergent gray realities is just different slices of nothing. When an actual context is defined, its either this or that, good or bad, no grays. A "gray" is only a human abstraction lacking a context. That is why when I cross the street, it is not bitter sweet to be run over by a bus. Its simply bad for me. Now if you conjure a story my hospital visit prevented me from taking an airplane that crashed, you have made a hypothetical abstraction that has no existence in reality. If it were true then the hospital stay would be unequivocally good.

Both of you are infected with that concept that words are anything more than communication and relation. All words are abstractions yet the statement that there is no right or wrong, being itself and assertion of right, should eventually make this apparent. Relativism is a product of language.

Now the real test of any philosophical view is this. Live it. If you can't live it, it worthless. If relativism really exists, and there is only gray, then the justice system is an abhorrence. Empty the prisons. Then I shall believe you.
We have prisons and a legal system to order society. The whole point of prison is a punishment.

I'll give an example of relativism. Does everybody like the same food as you? The same music? The same type of persons physically attractive? Do any two people see the same scenario exactly? When we say in life "everything is relative" this is what we mean.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
THIS is a very good point. I would always wince in my single days when some gal would say I "just had to meet her GORGEOUS friend" - who would typically turn out not so appealing *to me*.
Good point. When I was young I had a female friend who kept trying to set me up. Finally I told her next time she set me up it had to be with a playboy bunny.

Her: "You can't realistically expect a playboy bunny!"
Me: "I didn't say that."
Her: "Well then you can't expect me to find you someone who looks like a playboy bunny!"
Me: "I didn't say looks like a playboy bunny. I said you better set me up with a REAL playboy bunny!"
Her: "But I don't know any playboy bunnies!"
Me: "Now you got it!"

Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,770 times
Quote:
solytaire,
???

What does this mean? It has nothing to do with what I am saying. Abstractions do not exist, axiomatically. Thus dissecting abstractions into divergent gray realities is just different slices of nothing. When an actual context is defined, its either this or that, good or bad, no grays. A "gray" is only a human abstraction lacking a context. That is why when I cross the street, it is not bitter sweet to be run over by a bus. Its simply bad for me.
Yeah, I agree gray isnt an abstraction simply because it isnt black nor white..that is when black is defined as (black = the sum of all colors minus light)...grays as we know them are only the varying shades of black + or - light...so I agree that grays dont exist.. but my statement was suggesting that just because an abstraction, cant be quantified or defined with words, that doesnt mean that abstractions are then inherently absolutely anything...just that they are abstractions...rather, not that they are simply varying shades of black.
Quote:
nope!.. wrong...lol...I KNEW you were going to go there...damnit. Its the old "depends on what 'is' is...and 'we only know what is..' ....'nothing is something' routine" ...that was why I said that ed gein was a "not so absolute" exception to your statement...It was my attempt to undermine your premise by straddling the fence, while also trying to avoid admitting I was somewhat wrong...it was also the reason that there towards the end, I had tried to quantify a point of absolution...beyond the mere relativity of words and conjecture, there is no way of quantifying what absolute is, so we cant prove that anything is not absolute... death in scientific terms is absolute...yet it is only considered a transferal of energy by others...so I get your point...likewise the definition of geins actions are all contingent upon who defines them and their conjecture...anyway its all arbitrary, and I was trying to loop it back around to logic by somewhat acknowledging the relativity of words (ie.."not so absolute")...

Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
We have prisons and a legal system to order society. The whole point of prison is a punishment.

I'll give an example of relativism. Does everybody like the same food as you? The same music? The same type of persons physically attractive? Do any two people see the same scenario exactly? When we say in life "everything is relative" this is what we mean.
He's saying if you cant live with it, it has no relevance to life...meaning that if at any point you yourself cant live with the entire scope of the criminal element in society, and the impact it will inevitably have on you, then relativism has no base...by sheer instinct of survival, people have to establish a semblance of absolution in their laws at some point... Even if everyone accepted relativism, once the criminal element drives social chaos to its terminal degree in either direction on the centigrade, unless every single person is dead, society wont still believe that relativism is sustainable for its future..

Last edited by solytaire; 03-18-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

Hi samston,

You provided no context. Who is everybody and which music? Are you asking me? If so, I can tell you exactly what I like. Gray simply means it lacks context. Reality is a collection of specific contexts including little Joey with a peanut allergy and Bob who likes pizza. Yet saying things are gray is an assertion of indecisiveness.

Again, if everything were relative, then that "everything" is that one thing is not relative. I can't imagine a more effective philosophy for sapping masculinity.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
He's saying if you cant live with it, it has no relevance to life...meaning that if at any point you yourself cant live with the entire scope of the criminal element in society, and the impact it will inevitably have on you, then relativism has no base...by sheer instinct of survival, people have to establish a semblance of absolution in their laws at some point... Even if everyone accepted relativism, once the criminal element drives social chaos to its terminal degree in either direction on the centigrade, unless every single person is dead, society wont still believe that relativism is sustainable for its future..
It depends on what the basis for laws are.

laws only do exist to promote order and the general good. I don't see how this is related to relativism or absolutism.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Hi samston,

You provided no context. Who is everybody and which music? Are you asking me? If so, I can tell you exactly what I like. Gray simply means it lacks context. Reality is a collection of specific contexts including little Joey with a peanut allergy and Bob who likes pizza. Yet saying things are gray is an assertion of indecisiveness.

Again, if everything were relative, then that "everything" is that one thing is not relative. I can't imagine a more effective philosophy for sapping masculinity.
lol.. relativism can be in different forms. everybody experiences the same world, but perceives it uniquely. this is where the point about music or food came in.

It's kind of like how Einstein said that time is relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships