Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:26 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times

Advertisements

I've been best friends with a guy for 4 years, and recently we've both been "hinting" to start something more. We already made the promise that if neither of us are married by the time we're in our late 30's, we'd get married (explanation below). Let me preface this question by telling you a little bit about us:

We're absolutely perfect for each other in nearly every way possible, from our pasts, our careers, our family life, our passions in life, the way we like to spend our time, our social groups, religion, morals, etc. We spend nearly every day and evening together, we spend hours on the phone every week, and we are really the only one each other trusts. There is one major difference/disagreement between us (kids vs. no kids), and that is the reason we really shouldn't have anything happen until later on in our lives.

My question is: has anyone had to make the transition between best friend to significant other? How do you suggest we go about doing this so as not to ruin the relationship we have now. Is it a horrible idea to even try to progress, or should we stay right where we are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
My question is: has anyone had to make the transition between best friend to significant other? How do you suggest we go about doing this so as not to ruin the relationship we have now. Is it a horrible idea to even try to progress, or should we stay right where we are?
I don't think it's necessarily a horrible idea, but obviously there are huge risks involved. The biggest one is what happens if things don't work out. Can you easily go back to being best friends or will things always be awkward afterward. In a way, it may be too late already. If both of you are hinting at wanting something more, things may already be awkward. And if one of you started seeing someone else, how would the other react?

It's one thing to start off as friends with someone and have it turn into something more. That's how most of my relationships have started. But to have it be your best friend is something else entirely. If you decide to go down this road, be sure there's no obvious deal breakers. You mentioned that you're on different pages with respect to kids. If you can't find agreement on an issue like that, then why risk it if you know it won't work out in the long run? I got involved with someone who was one of my best friends. It didn't work out. Thankfully, it wasn't a bad breakup where we ended up hating each other. But at the same time, there was no going back. I lost one of my best friends. I don't regret getting involved with her, despite how it turned out.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I don't think it's necessarily a horrible idea, but obviously there are huge risks involved. The biggest one is what happens if things don't work out. Can you easily go back to being best friends or will things always be awkward afterward. In a way, it may be too late already. If both of you are hinting at wanting something more, things may already be awkward. And if one of you started seeing someone else, how would the other react?

It's one thing to start off as friends with someone and have it turn into something more. That's how most of my relationships have started. But to have it be your best friend is something else entirely. If you decide to go down this road, be sure there's no obvious deal breakers. You mentioned that you're on different pages with respect to kids. If you can't find agreement on an issue like that, then why risk it if you know it won't work out in the long run? I got involved with someone who was one of my best friends. It didn't work out. Thankfully, it wasn't a bad breakup where we ended up hating each other. But at the same time, there was no going back. I lost one of my best friends. I don't regret getting involved with her, despite how it turned out.
I would guess that we'd be fine if things did work out. We're both extremely laid back and don't make a big deal out of small things, which is why we've never had a real argument in 4 years. I can't say for sure that we'd be ok going back to best friends, because I've never been in this situation before. The kids thing may or may not be a big deal, because he's said he would adopt if he ever really wanted kids, he just doesn't want bring more kids into this already messed-up world. I'm not in a huge hurry, and definitely don't want to rush things, I just wanted to get other people's opinions...

Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,052 times
first of all, dont do the "if by xxxx age we are still single, lets get married" thing. the best advice someone gave me was to not try to live your life like you were in a movie. i used to very much have the same way of thinking about marrying someone just because i couldnt find someone else, but had a great friendship with a guy.

personally, i would love to end up having a romance with a best friend because i like the idea of combing a best friend with a boyfriend/husband. however, some arent too into that idea. i spoke to a guy i dated once (and someone remembered friendly with) about this. he said he would never combine the two, and he likes having a guy as his best friend and wouldnt want a girlfriend or wife being in the best friend position.

if you are fine with the transition, check out if your friend is. he may or not be into it.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:32 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
I've been best friends with a guy for 4 years, and recently we've both been "hinting" to start something more. We already made the promise that if neither of us are married by the time we're in our late 30's, we'd get married (explanation below). Let me preface this question by telling you a little bit about us:
How dull.

Why not start dating and meet someone you really care about?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
How dull.

Why not start dating and meet someone you really care about?

That's me! Dull, drama-free, stress-free, and sane. Who knew!

Aaand, I do care about him. That's the point.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
That's me! Dull, drama-free, stress-free, and sane. Who knew!

Aaand, I do care about him. That's the point.
There's a difference between "caring" and "passion."

If you wanted to be with him, you would have done so four years ago and you wouldn't be posting this thread!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
There's a difference between "caring" and "passion."

If you wanted to be with him, you would have done so four years ago and you wouldn't be posting this thread!

Four years ago I was still a teenager. No one should be in a serious relationship until they're mature...and I wasn't at that time.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:01 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Sounds like nature has put you on the path anyway. Go forth if both of you are thinking about it. Unfortunately there is no turning back. If it doesnt work out, you will lose a friend and feel quite empty until you meet someone else. If it does you will be very happy and wonder why you didnt start earlier. Good Luck.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Sounds like nature has put you on the path anyway. Go forth if both of you are thinking about it. Unfortunately there is no turning back. If it doesnt work out, you will lose a friend and feel quite empty until you meet someone else. If it does you will be very happy and wonder why you didnt start earlier. Good Luck.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships