Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I'm fairly new to C-D (about 3 mos), and it's the first time I've participated in an online forum. What an eye opener! Rather naive at the start, I've been very surprised at the wide range of advice people post on here. There are some real know-it-alls out there, and they do more harm than good, thinking they have all the answers. Sometimes a person will start a thread, sincerely hoping to get some sound advice re: a personal crisis, and a bunch of smart a** people say cruel things to the OP and/or flippantly throw all sorts of crappy advice out there. I also read a couple of threads where people had medical conditions for which they were seeking advice, and there were some potentially dangerous posts (advice) on there. What is it with people? Give an opinion, folks, but don't be telling people "facts" that you can't back up.
But there are two sides to that particular coin - you have to consider exactly HOW wise it is to seek advice from strangers in the first place.

Sometimes the smart-a** people have a valid point - for example, if the poster is a troll or flamer.

Quote:
When it comes to my personal friends, I find that sometimes the best thing I can do when they seek advice is to just listen to them and encourage them to figure things out for themselves, in their own time. Sometimes the best words are no words at all. A listening ear and a tender hug can do wonders to help a friend sort things out.
Great advice - seriously!

Quote:
Every relationship is unique, and every person will react differently given the same set of circumstances as someone else. There are no cookie-cutter solutions to our problems. Those know-it-alls out there need to learn that!
But also consider - within that uniqueness lies a certain sameness, shared by all humans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
I think giving advise is just human nature. It is something we all do unless we specifically determine not too. I think it is interesting how many answers we as human beings have for our fellow man while for ourselves, the answers r not so clear cut. It is a pity from a certain perspective that we can't live each other's lives...

Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
But there are two sides to that particular coin - you have to consider exactly HOW wise it is to seek advice from strangers in the first place.

Sometimes the smart-a** people have a valid point - for example, if the poster is a troll or flamer.

I hear ya, SifuPhil. I had other thoughts, but didn't want my post to get too lengthy. ha. I do think that a lot of people who seek advice from online strangers about serious problems are a little looney.

Great advice - seriously!
*chuckle*

But also consider - within that uniqueness lies a certain sameness, shared by all humans...
I realize that, as well.

Many of the threads here certainly do give one food for thought.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:40 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
I always give advice that will solve the problem as the person wants it, unless that solution is not feasible to carry out.

If it can make somebody happier, then why not? it's called being nice.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
I think that advice can be given with a grain of salt. You can listen to it, or not. We just try to reach out and help, any way we can. Ain`t forums great!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I think that advice can be given with a grain of salt. You can listen to it, or not. We just try to reach out and help, any way we can. Ain`t forums great!
I can't recall the exact quote but it was from Schweitzer. Something about --'Not needing to know all the details but recognizing the need for empathy'.

Today I am not overly fond or able to be appreciative of being 'lectured'. Someone pointed out that those who share personal experiences are making themselves vulnerable and it becomes embarassing to repeatedly have assumptions made. Then the originator has to deal with additional negativity.

'There but for the Grace of God, go I.' In my formative years that was said a lot--I can only assume that is no longer a popular concept.

'That's the way it is'. Also true in Real Life--which leads people to post on message boards.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
I feel like often - on online forums when it comes to personal situations - people sometimes are looking more for validation of their own thoughts as opposed to advice. Granted those 'where's the best chinese restaurant' threads truly are looking for opinions, personal advice situations aren't so cut and dry.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
I don't even look at most of it as advice, but rather questions and avenues for an OP to think about. Since there are two factors. one being you don't know who this person is and two, you only get one side of a story. So it's more or less 'here's my thoughts or experiences' or 'here is how I see your story'' and it gives an OP something to consider or think about. Some may apply, some may not. Some may disagree with someone else's viewpoint and offer another way of looking at the situation.

If a person is not looking for raw advice or thoughts. which they may not agree with, then they shouldn't solicit them by posting a thread on public forums like this, but rather discuss it with people they know or a professional. This isn't AA or any number of 10 step programs available for 'support'.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
And that is why I so thoroughly enjoy the Taoist philosophy of living - just being in the moment, no questions or answers, no analysis - just doing. Taoists endeavor to mind their own business and, when it becomes necessary to speak, do so in a forthright manner.

Obviously, I still have a ways to go...
Nah you are fine!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
I feel like often - on online forums when it comes to personal situations - people sometimes are looking more for validation of their own thoughts as opposed to advice. Granted those 'where's the best chinese restaurant' threads truly are looking for opinions, personal advice situations aren't so cut and dry.
Absolutely. I'd say that each and everyone of us have our 'agendas'. I often feel that those who are most 'emphatic' speak from an intense personal experience. I appreciate those who say--'Something similar happened to me or 'a friend of mine' and this is what I did and learned from the experience.'

That's just me--there are a few things that I am embarassed to admit and when the 'The OP needs a slap in the face' crew responds it bothers me. I've noticed similar responses from others.

Some people just like the sound of their own voices and if they have truly resolved all their personal issues----why are they posting with those who haven't attained that stage of enlightenment? They should have their own talk shows.

After reading numerous responses I am frequently annoyed enough to think that whatever I thought was as good if not better than anyone else's ideas.

Often regret the decision to 'share'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships